Author Topic: Elves Falath EVO 2023  (Read 22936 times)

Timuk

Re: Elves Falath EVO 2023
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2023, 01:11:29 PM »
I joined this forum relatively recently to get an insight into users' experiences of different frames.

I had an itch to buy a new alternative justified by 3 disc brake bikes, and 4 of my family riding Flanders next spring - yes it's tenuous!

Originally looked at the Yishun 1088 but just couldn't get excited despite the good feedback, by the design, and if I wanted custom colours and a one piece cockpit, costs with delivery into the UK were similar to the Elves Falath.  So that's what I've gone for.

I like different.  My main bike is a 3T Strada, which in its 1 X form seems to polarise opinion.  In the long and distant past when I raced I had an Ian White low profile frame in lugless oval/teardrop 753 which attracted attention and an Omega lugless track frame with small front wheel (for bunch/sprint races).  So the unique (ish) of the Elves appealed.  Slammed and 1 x with mechanical I reckon I can get it to around 6.5kg (my Strada is 6.1).  Only downside for me was the gap at the rear end.... For someone used to fag paper time trial bikes it just doesn't look right.  However wheelbase in my 46 size will be shortish and I'm prepared to accept that the tyre /seat tube gap may not make it a brick.

I'll report back.  My Strada is I think pretty aero and is very comfortable (actually moreso than either my Genesis Datum or Vitus gravel, so looks can be deceptive).  I won't be testing in a wind tunnel but having a very good idea on my capabilities on a 6 mile lap over many years and with a long straight downhill, I'll get a clear idea on whether this is a brick as suggested or super uncomfortable.  If it doesn't beat the Strada on one, I'll sell it on but I am prepared to accept users' feedback might give it a chance compared to some on here ...the Simplon Pride 2 still has the best aero score with some of its tubes looking more rectangular than teardrop....

coffeebreak

« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2023, 01:25:03 PM »
I'm glad you went ahead with this frame. This thread was getting very tiring.

Wishes for the build, looking forward to final result.

toxin

« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2023, 02:54:43 PM »
the Simplon Pride 2 still has the best aero score with some of its tubes looking more rectangular than teardrop....

Kamm-tail, not rectangular, very important difference.

PLA

« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2023, 12:27:16 AM »
I'm glad you went ahead with this frame. This thread was getting very tiring.

Wishes for the build, looking forward to final result.

No one is forcing you to read it. If you find it tiring, just move along.

coffeebreak

« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2023, 04:05:17 PM »
No one is forcing you to read it. If you find it tiring, just move along.

Just applauding change in the subject. Was it too loud for your little echo chamber you got going? Took a shot in the dark but still hit the nerve.

jonathanf2

« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2023, 07:37:14 PM »
If Elves was giving me a free frame, I'd LARP the $hit out of it on this forum and make all you suckers buy one! Lol

I find the blow back on that frame amusing. I mean, this is a forum for cheap carbon frames and components. If one was truly serious about their cycling, why not buy a name brand frameset and/or bike build? If you can't afford one, well go back to school and get a better paying career! Haha

neobiker

« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2023, 01:22:04 AM »
If Elves was giving me a free frame, I'd LARP the $hit out of it on this forum and make all you suckers buy one! Lol

I find the blow back on that frame amusing. I mean, this is a forum for cheap carbon frames and components. If one was truly serious about their cycling, why not buy a name brand frameset and/or bike build? If you can't afford one, well go back to school and get a better paying career! Haha

As a counter argument, I just build bike and rides them as a hobby, and I will definitely buy the new BMC Teammachine R when the frameset becomes affordable (lower grade carbon and sale season).  However, I can't fight against my DNA, and if I find a cheap and good stuff, I will buy it xD. This is why I have been buying Lightcarbon and Yishun frames

PLA

« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2023, 03:31:58 AM »
Just applauding change in the subject. Was it too loud for your little echo chamber you got going? Took a shot in the dark but still hit the nerve.

I sincerely hope for your sake that you aren't so pathetic and passive aggressive in your actual life. Chances are you are just as pathetic and defeated, though. Pretty common among kids these days.
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

Dark17

« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2023, 06:59:55 AM »

Counter argument number 2; if I knew that the cost of building my first Chiner was just the same price as buying a newly build Merida Scultura 5000 Bahrain Edition or a Giant Propel (I just add a couple of hundred dollars) then I could've just bought those bikes lol. But I'll target Merida Scultura Race edition first if I am planning to buy some branded bikes. OR just buy more frames from Yishun or Lightcarbon :D
rematistang jempoy (sprinter fred) from The Philippines

Velovelo

« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2023, 07:22:59 AM »
Already +500k on the bike, it definitely isn't the best bike for a chill/recovery ride haha, really stiff everywhere.
I have a slight issue with the chainstays, they flare out and my shoes are so damn long they're slightly rubbing the left chainstay when I'm out of the saddle, my Q factor is already quite big since I have Assioma pedals, might add a washer or two.
I put some clear tape so it won't damage the paint any further. The frame also didn't have any chainstay protection cover or metal cover for the BB, ordered some and might epoxy a metal cover on the chainstay
Apart from that no issues whatsoever
https://imgur.com/a/2m6DyY2

@ExclusiviteChinoise so far how is the frame holding up? Owner's experience / insight is invaluable especially to people who come here to do research on the frame.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 07:26:48 AM by Velovelo »

jonathanf2

« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2023, 12:50:38 PM »
As a counter argument, I just build bike and rides them as a hobby, and I will definitely buy the new BMC Teammachine R when the frameset becomes affordable (lower grade carbon and sale season).  However, I can't fight against my DNA, and if I find a cheap and good stuff, I will buy it xD. This is why I have been buying Lightcarbon and Yishun frames

I just ride bikes for fitness and to supplement my strength training. The only name brand bike frame that remotely peaks my interest is the Aethos, but some interesting copycat molds are starting to trickle. I might as well build one of those down the road!

Froglover825

« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2023, 05:36:54 PM »
Counter argument number 2; if I knew that the cost of building my first Chiner was just the same price as buying a newly build Merida Scultura 5000 Bahrain Edition or a Giant Propel (I just add a couple of hundred dollars) then I could've just bought those bikes lol. But I'll target Merida Scultura Race edition first if I am planning to buy some branded bikes. OR just buy more frames from Yishun or Lightcarbon :D

If you fit onto a standard build from the likes of merida then they are definitely equal value, the difference is once you realise you most likely have to change handlebars/stem/crankset/cassette/tyres because they aren't in your desired specification the chiner build from scratch is far superior.

coffeebreak

« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2023, 12:05:44 PM »
I sincerely hope for your sake that you aren't so pathetic and passive aggressive in your actual life. Chances are you are just as pathetic and defeated, though. Pretty common among kids these days.

I hope you see the irony in this. One guy says he bought the frame, I said that's good and you short your fuse. Bro you need some serious help.
Anyway I am taking your advice and moving on (from your comments at least).

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2023, 09:43:49 AM »
I'm not going to delete or moderate anything, I just want to ask you all to please try and keep it respectful. Feel free to disagree with each other but leave the name-calling out of it, we don't want that type of discourse here.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 09:45:49 AM by Sitar_Ned »

dsveddy

« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2023, 10:01:17 AM »

I’m a semi-serious amateur racer on a budget. Ironically in grad school—I’m just trying to race while I’m still fairly young—I’ll be making the big bucks soon! I built up my Seka at the height of price inflation last year. I did an extensive price analysis speccing different builds in a spreadsheet, and the Seka came out on top as the best value. A big factor was the handlebar spec, racing wheels, and power meter. Once you priced those in, similar spec western builds were 2x the price. I did a similar price analysis for my lightcarbon CX bike and came to similar conclusions. I really push back on the idea that Chiner bikes are unserious. There’s a lot of geeks on a budget in this sport. If you are knowledgeable about bikes and mechanics, there’s serious savings on seriously good bike parts to be had in this space.

Now that the market has rapidly cooled, the value proposition of Chiner builds are definitely going down. I think a lower spec Supersix Evo 4 approaches the weight and price of my Seka build. If anything, the market adjustment underscores the importance of comparing premium-price Chiner frames (like the Elves Falath Evo) against western counterparts, because the savings are potentially slimmer than ever.