Author Topic: Deng Fu R13  (Read 756 times)

xwalkprdx

Deng Fu R13
« on: January 19, 2023, 09:38:30 AM »
Hi everyone. Longtime lurker, first time poster. I've learned a lot from the forum over the years so it's time to give back by sharing some knowledge.

The first frame that I ordered directly from a Chinese manufacturer was a Hongfu FM069 in 2014. It felt a bit more like gambling then. Fewer people doing this, less knowledge about the producers, and not knowing anything about how customs would work. I was out of the game for some time because that frame lasted until spring 2022. The only trouble I had with it was due to a small design flaw. Shimano changed the front derailleur when they came out with Ultegra 6800 and the arm of the derailleur pressed on the frame, but like I wrote, it lasted for years and thousands of KM, until last spring. I noticed what looked like a slight crack on the top tube while sitting at a cafe after riding. It felt a little soft when I pushed on it, but I couldn't tell how bad it was. I road it a few more times and pushed on it, and pulled on it with my fingernail, etc. I eventually decided that I wasn't going to feel safe riding it at speed on the open road, so I dissected it the best I could around the crack. Long story short, I'm convinced that it is next to impossible to properly inspect a carbon frame without professional tools. Full stop. Sure there are visually obvious flaws, but we won't catch anything internal. The other side is just as true. I'm happy I retired that frame, but I'm not 100% that is was necessary. So I decided to order a new frame and use my existing grupo and wheels.

It was spring and I needed a frame asap so I panic ordered a Rinasclta 2020 light weight rim brake road frame. They were professional, I got the frame relatively quickly, even with a custom paint job. It rides nicely and generally does what a frame should do: let you focus on riding. I had a little problem with the rear derailleur hanger. It was misaligned and there is so little carbon where it screws to the frame that I'm afraid to use a derailleur hanger adjustment tool to bend it into place. I made a shim out of thin plastic and that got it close enough that it shifts without problems. I can share photos or a tutorial if anyone has questions about what I did. I'm happy with that bike and it is now on my indoor trainer and I use it as my winter bike.

I was ready to take a big step forward after putting in the training time the last few years so this autumn I started looking for a new frame to build up from scratch. My priorities were integrated cables, disc brakes, and somewhere on the aero spectrum of frames. After much lurking on the forums, I finally settled on a Deng Fu R12. The Yeoleo R12 (completely different from the Deng Fu R12) did work with me for geometry and taste. A few final contenders had BB86 bottom brackets, which don't play nicely with sram dub cranks. So the Deng Fu R12 with its BB386 was the call. Mia was helpful and answered my questions promptly. The price was nice. Everything was good until I changed my mind about the size. I wanted at 56cm frame instead of 58cm. The 56cm frame was out of stock. I was disappointed because I was ready to pull the trigger, but she got back to me to let me know that they had the new R13 in 56cm. She said it was very close to the R12, sent me a photo, but didn't have a geometry chart to share. I decided to order it anyway. It came about a month later. Mia shared a tracking number when it shipped and it arrived very well packaged in my country without incident. I tried to look at the inside of the frame the best I could without a proper insertable camera. Everything checked out. The only thing that I noticed was some latex leftover from the molding process. I built it up with sram force. The brake cable routing was easy; I didn't need anything other than tape and the plastic tubing that came pre-inserted in the frame. I'm not 100% happy with how the headset spacers are fitting into the integrated bar/stem. The spaces have a little dot that fits into a corresponding hole in the spacer above and then the stem. The space match up perfectly, but the carbon stem is tightened around the steerer tube, which changes its diameter, making this last interface slightly misaligned. It's about 99% there, just not perfect. Certainly not a safety issue. I have zero other comments other than it was easy to build. I used a Token thread together ninja bb. Besides having to find their tool in stock to buy, it was easy and tolerances checked out the best I could tell with calipers.

The other part of the project was building wheels. I bought light carbon rims (Hi everyone. Longtime lurker, first time poster. I've learned a lot from the forum over the years so it's time to give back by sharing some knowledge.

The first frame that I ordered directly from a Chinese manufacturer was a Hongfu FM069 in 2014. It felt a bit more like gambling then. Fewer people doing this, less knowledge about the producers, and not knowing anything about how customs would work. I was out of the game for some time because that frame lasted until spring 2022. The only trouble I had with it was due to a small design flaw. Shimano changed the front derailleur when they came out with Ultegra 6800 and the arm of the derailleur pressed on the frame, but like I wrote, it lasted for years and thousands of KM, until last spring. I noticed what looked like a slight crack on the top tube while sitting at a cafe after riding. It felt a little soft when I pushed on it, but I couldn't tell how bad it was. I road it a few more times and pushed on it, and pulled on it with my fingernail, etc. I eventually decided that I wasn't going to feel safe riding it at speed on the open road, so I dissected it the best I could around the crack. Long story short, I'm convinced that it is next to impossible to properly inspect a carbon frame without professional tools. Full stop. Sure there are visually obvious flaws, but we won't catch anything internal. The other side is just as true. I'm happy I retired that frame, but I'm not 100% that is was necessary. So I decided to order a new frame and use my existing grupo and wheels.

It was spring and I needed a frame asap so I panic ordered a Rinasclta 2020 light weight rim brake road frame. They were professional, I got the frame relatively quickly, even with a custom paint job. It rides nicely and generally does what a frame should do: let you focus on riding. I had a little problem with the rear derailleur hanger. It was misaligned and there is so little carbon where it screws to the frame that I'm afraid to use a derailleur hanger adjustment tool to bend it into place. I made a shim out of thin plastic and that got it close enough that it shifts without problems. I can share photos or a tutorial if anyone has questions about what I did. I'm happy with that bike and it is now on my indoor trainer and I use it as my winter bike.

I was ready to take a big step forward after putting in the training time the last few years so this autumn I started looking for a new frame to build up from scratch. My priorities were integrated cables, disc brakes, and somewhere on the aero spectrum of frames. After much lurking on the forums, I finally settled on a Deng Fu R12. The Yeoleo R12 (completely different from the Deng Fu R12) did work with me for geometry and taste. A few final contenders had BB86 bottom brackets, which don't play nicely with sram dub cranks. So the Deng Fu R12 with its BB386 was the call. Mia was helpful and answered my questions promptly. The price was nice. Everything was good until I changed my mind about the size. I wanted at 56cm frame instead of 58cm. The 56cm frame was out of stock. I was disappointed because I was ready to pull the trigger, but she got back to me to let me know that they had the new R13 in 56cm. She said it was very close to the R12, sent me a photo, but didn't have a geometry chart to share. I decided to order it anyway. It came about a month later. Mia shared a tracking number when it shipped and it arrived very well packaged in my country without incident. I tried to look at the inside of the frame the best I could without a proper insertable camera. Everything checked out. The only thing that I noticed was some latex leftover from the molding process. I built it up with sram force. The brake cable routing was easy; I didn't need anything other than tape and the plastic tubing that came pre-inserted in the frame. I'm not 100% happy with how the headset spacers are fitting into the integrated bar/stem. The spaces have a little dot that fits into a corresponding hole in the spacer above and then the stem. The space match up perfectly, but the carbon stem is tightened around the steerer tube, which changes its diameter, making this last interface slightly misaligned. It's about 99% there, just not perfect. Certainly not a safety issue. I have zero other comments other than it was easy to build. I used a Token thread together ninja bb. Besides having to find their tool in stock to buy, it was easy and tolerances checked out the best I could tell with calipers. The only difference that I can see between the R12 photos I've seen online and my R13 is in the seat stays. The R12 has slightly flared seat stays that are separate when they leave the seat tube. The seat stays on the R13 come off of the seat stay as a single, joined piece that then separates to each side.

The other part of the project was building wheels. I bought rims from Light Carbon (https://www.lightcarbon.com/super-aero-undulating-rim-depth-700c-disc-brake-carbon-clincher-rims_p207.html). Super easy to deal with. Prompt emails. Answered questions. Shipped with a tracking number and I'm completely satisfied and enjoyed building the wheels.

Last, I used a matte 2k clear coat on the frame and semigloss on the rims. I had more elaborate painting plans, but not a place to warm and dry to realize them in the winter.