Author Topic: Any opinions/experiences with Spcycle bike framesets?  (Read 805 times)

jonathanf2

Any opinions/experiences with Spcycle bike framesets?
« on: February 13, 2023, 11:39:46 AM »
I'm trying to gauge firsthand feedback regarding Spcycle bike frames. I notice they're phasing out some older stock with pressfit semi-internal routed frames at reduced prices, since it appears trends are moving to full internal cabling and T47 BBs. Or should I just avoid pressfit all together at this point? I was thinking of picking up one of those Ztto threaded PF bottom brackets if I do go that direction. Thanks for any opinons!

FullCarbonAlchemist

Re: Any opinions/experiences with Spcycle bike framesets?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 12:05:36 PM »
The ZTTO BBs aren’t really a better deal than Wheels Mfg because the bearings are terrible and need to be replaced almost immediately, which ends up costing about the same as just buying Wheels’ thread-together PF BB in the first place. But with extra time and effort.

Tijoe

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 12:24:59 PM »
I purchased one of their hardtail light weight 950 gram frames in Nov. 2021.  Only about 100 miles on the bike.  but it built up to be a 19 lb bike.  Not too shabby a weight.
handles well, but for me the top tube is a bit short, so I ordered a longer stem so I can stretch out a bit more.

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 12:26:34 PM »
The ZTTO BBs aren’t really a better deal than Wheels Mfg because the bearings are terrible and need to be replaced almost immediately, which ends up costing about the same as just buying Wheels’ thread-together PF BB in the first place. But with extra time and effort.

There are other frames I'm looking at that are threaded BB. The only reason I was looking at these Spcycle framesets were from a cost perspective, I'd rather not have to deal putting more money into the BB if I can buy another frame with an easier setup.

Tijoe

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 12:41:02 PM »
My Spycycle frame is BSA30 and I went with Race Face Next R Cinch cranks and Race Face BB.   (Cranks,BB, and chainring cost more than I paid for the frame - LOL)

coffeebreak

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2023, 01:06:04 PM »
Personally I will go with Token Ninja thread together BB over ZTTO. It is still expensive than ZTTO at $55 but my experience with it has been great so far and reviews in general are quite positive too.

FHS

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 02:50:34 PM »
There are other frames I'm looking at that are threaded BB. The only reason I was looking at these Spcycle framesets were from a cost perspective, I'd rather not have to deal putting more money into the BB if I can buy another frame with an easier setup.

The three PF bikes I've had, two from Chinese manufacturers, have been fine. I think PF is generally fine, unless they are misaligned or out of spec because of poor manufacturing. Poorly manufactured bottom brackets are not exclusive to Chinese manufacturers. I'm saying all of that, because, if the PF frames from Spcycle are the best bargain for you, then go for it. Really, the biggest benefit to threaded PF BBs is that they do help mitigate some of the issues that go with misaligned PFs. If your frame doesn't have those issues to begin with, you won't need one.

I did go with a Wheels Manufacturing Thread together BB86 for my first Chinese frame, just in case. When I switched to DUB, I had to go with a non thread together, and, as it turns out, I didn't have any issues with that one either.

To FullCarbonAlchemist's point, if it's a crapshoot, definitely don't buy something that's already certified as crap.

Jonty12

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2023, 03:23:45 PM »
late to the game, but I'm a happy Spcycle customer.

Bought an SP R-05 frame spring 2021 (I think it's now SP R-06).  Only real issues were related to the braze on derailleur hanger (popped off and I had to re-rivet) and I needed to add a spacer (pedal washer) between the chainstay and rear wheel end cap as the chain rubbed against the chainstay. I'm using a wheels mfg threaded BB.

The bike has survived two semi-serious crashes (broken bones) and the company even sent me a new derailleur hanger for free after the 2nd crash bent the original.

Carrie always responds quickly.

(ignore the dirty drivetrain in the chain pic ... it's now perfectly clean and waxed as in the other pic)