Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-066 Rim brake (not dead yet?)  (Read 5086 times)

jefflinde

Velobuild VB-R-066 Rim brake (not dead yet?)
« on: February 18, 2023, 01:03:25 PM »
With the dawn of electronic group sets taking over, the curmudgeon in me wanted to add an analog road bike to the stable.  i was surfing the web and came across some close out deals on the last great Dura Ace group set, the 9100.  i figured i better snap them up while i could before they become collectable antiques, hahaha.  next was finding a bike frame that i could have a rim brake version and disc version which is identical or very similar geometry.  the 066 is nice in the fact that it offers both rim and disc version.  here is the build list with pics and weights. 

Frame/fork - Velobuild VB-R-066 size L  1021g (with hanger and FD mount, no headset, seat post binder or bottle mount bolts) fork 347g (uncut)
headset - 90g
handlebars - PRO PLT Ergo 46cm - 294g
bar tape - PRO sport control - 94g
Stem spacers/top cap PRO - 23g
Stem - Uno 7 - 92g
seat post - velobuild 20mm set back - 200g
shifter - R9100 - 397
RD  R9100 - 160g
FD R9100 - 71g
Crankset R9100 (w/ ZRACE rings) - 662g
BB R9100 - 57g
Pedals R9100 - 233g
Brakes Fake EE G4's - 206g (pair w/ pads)
Saddle PRO Stealth - 165

jefflinde

Re: Velobuild VB-R-066 Rim brake (not dead yet?)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 01:07:09 PM »
Still waiting for the wheels to show up.  went with some Aliexpress light weight ones.  should be around 1350g.  Also waiting to sort out what tires to run.  the frame is listed as able to clear a 25mm tire but i am thinking that 28 or even 30mm tires will fit.  new wheels are 25mm wide so dont want to find out the hard way that 30mm wont fit when on the wider wheels. 

more pics to come as i get it built up.

johnboot

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 02:24:38 PM »
I’ll be watching your thread with keen interest, as I’m sort of in the same boat.

Geometry wise, the velobuild 066 / Canyon Endurace are a perfect fit for me and my style of cycling. I was originally going to go for an endurace, but they have stopped doing a rim break version on the carbon version, so eying up the 066. I would be wanting to transplant components over from current road bike (running 28 tyres), so hoping they will fit!

If I like the rim 066 and don’t have any issues, was thinking about also getting the disc version and selling off my hybrid (which is disc). Alternatively, potentially get a used disc canyon to go with the rim 066.

jefflinde

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 09:35:49 PM »
Couple more parts came in.  swapped out the standard expander plug for the ebay ultralight special at just 11.4g.  Also threw on a pair of ultegra wheels so see how it look with some Bontrager 28c tires that measure 26.2mm.  these rims are really narrow at 22mm  outside.  the rear has about 6-7mm on either side at the chain stays and about 5-6mm at the front of the tire.  I think that 28mm tires will fit on my soon to arrive 25mm wheels and i hope i can get some 30mm tires in there.  the front has about 5-6mm all the way around.       

jefflinde

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 09:55:29 PM »
One more thing i found, ridenow tubes are about 1/2 the price of tubolito or Schwalbe etc. and are super light.  i hate tubeless as it is a pain in the ass and i am not racing or riding on glass.  so an ultralight tube for me is much better.  under $20 and weigh 32g.  definitely going to be giving these a go this summer.  once i bought these i saw they actually make a 18-28c tube that is 24g.  those will be on the slow boat soon.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 12:22:24 PM »
28mm GP5000s on 19mm inner width rims fit with ample room on my OG Evkin CF-025 which appears to be from the same mold.

Btw, with a little modification a Wheels Manufacturing Dropout Hanger 362 will fit and gives the option of direct mounting Shimano derailleurs.

johnboot

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 04:50:20 PM »
Couple more parts came in.  swapped out the standard expander plug for the ebay ultralight special at just 11.4g.  Also threw on a pair of ultegra wheels so see how it look with some Bontrager 28c tires that measure 26.2mm.  these rims are really narrow at 22mm  outside.  the rear has about 6-7mm on either side at the chain stays and about 5-6mm at the front of the tire.  I think that 28mm tires will fit on my soon to arrive 25mm wheels and i hope i can get some 30mm tires in there.  the front has about 5-6mm all the way around.     

Thanks for sharing. Out of interest, are you aiming to get the bike under a certain weight? Good to see 28s comfortably fit btw, I’ll definitely be pulling the trigger.

Have you any experience with either Velobuild or other Chinese frames in the past?

jefflinde

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 06:16:43 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Out of interest, are you aiming to get the bike under a certain weight? Good to see 28s comfortably fit btw, I’ll definitely be pulling the trigger.

Have you any experience with either Velobuild or other Chinese frames in the past?

I am aiming for sub 6.8 kg. I should be there with the parts on order.  I like 24mm spindles and Shimano cranks because I have always had great luck and no maintenance issues with them so getting super light would be tough .  They are not the lightest but I can deal with that. 

I think I am on my 8th or 9th Chinese frame.  I have had 4 or 5 dengfu frames and about the same from light carbon. Also a few random eBay mtb frames. This is my first from velobuild though. 

jefflinde

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 06:18:21 PM »
28mm GP5000s on 19mm inner width rims fit with ample room on my OG Evkin CF-025 which appears to be from the same mold.

Btw, with a little modification a Wheels Manufacturing Dropout Hanger 362 will fit and gives the option of direct mounting Shimano derailleurs.

This is great news.  I will have to get one and check it out.  I was going to look into the direct mount option. I love the look and of course and weight savings would a plus too. Hahaha

bremerradkurier

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 10:06:33 AM »
This is great news.  I will have to get one and check it out.  I was going to look into the direct mount option. I love the look and of course and weight savings would a plus too. Hahaha

Basically, you just need to cut off a corner of the hanger-I used a Dremel cut-off wheel and filed off material until it fit flush on the frame.

vs

johnboot

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 04:49:13 PM »
I am aiming for sub 6.8 kg. I should be there with the parts on order.  I like 24mm spindles and Shimano cranks because I have always had great luck and no maintenance issues with them so getting super light would be tough .  They are not the lightest but I can deal with that. 

I think I am on my 8th or 9th Chinese frame.  I have had 4 or 5 dengfu frames and about the same from light carbon. Also a few random eBay mtb frames. This is my first from velobuild though.

Wow, sub 7Kg!…. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out with interest!

I’ll be ordering my frame next week and start scouring the net for parts :)

Any general tips / issues you’ve had buying from China?

hazzer19

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 07:06:48 PM »
Couple more parts came in.  swapped out the standard expander plug for the ebay ultralight special at just 11.4g.

Looking forward to seeing the build! Word of caution on the light expander plugs, the metal used where the wrench fits seems to be fairly soft (at least on mine) and I ended up stripping it while tightening it. Now I have to drill it out at some point but have left it stuck in there as it still works fine to compress the headsset and to thread the top cap.

On my 4th chinese frame and 3rd velobuild. Happy so far!

Ride Now tubes are pretty awesome. Would recommend the patch kit if you don't have it already. I've patched mine up a number of times. A regular quick patch like the clear ones from Park Tool don't stick unfortuantely.

johnboot

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2023, 01:23:38 PM »

Looking forward to seeing the build! Word of caution on the light expander plugs, the metal used where the wrench fits seems to be fairly soft (at least on mine) and I ended up stripping it while tightening it. Now I have to drill it out at some point but have left it stuck in there as it still works fine to compress the headsset and to thread the top cap.

On my 4th chinese frame and 3rd velobuild. Happy so far!

Ride Now tubes are pretty awesome. Would recommend the patch kit if you don't have it already. I've patched mine up a number of times. A regular quick patch like the clear ones from Park Tool don't stick unfortuantely.

I see your on your 3rd velobuild. I’m about to pull the trigger on my first! Any advice before I do this? Did you order their bars, or get your own separately?

hazzer19

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2023, 12:33:19 PM »
I see your on your 3rd velobuild. I’m about to pull the trigger on my first! Any advice before I do this? Did you order their bars, or get your own separately?

Nice! Yes I've used both their integrated bars and the separate bar/stem combo that come with the frames that have full internal wiring. The 066 doesn't come with bars so I would either buy them from VB or source them separately if you're after something more specific since the options they have don't cover everyone.

In terms of ordering I would ask for an extra rear derailleur hanger to be thrown in. That's about it I think. Good luck!

johnboot

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2023, 07:24:54 PM »

Nice! Yes I've used both their integrated bars and the separate bar/stem combo that come with the frames that have full internal wiring. The 066 doesn't come with bars so I would either buy them from VB or source them separately if you're after something more specific since the options they have don't cover everyone.

In terms of ordering I would ask for an extra rear derailleur hanger to be thrown in. That's about it I think. Good luck!

Thanks. I’ve pulled the trigger now and went with one of their bar and stems as well and spare hanger. Just the waiting game now and hope all arrives in one peice haha