Other Resources > Component Deals & Selection

Maxxis tires on Aliexpress?

(1/2) > >>

jannmayer:
I've seen Maxxis tires on Aliexpress from a bunch of different vendors, all for much cheaper than sellers in the US. ($55 instead of $95)

Has anyone had any experience ordering them? Are the tires as advertised? I understand there probably wouldn't be a warranty, but that's not worth paying $40 more per tire.

wwnero:
I can’t speak to the legitimacy of the tires from aliexpress but maybe look into maxxis tires from some of the European sellers. I have bought continental gp5000 (ProBikeKit) and maxxis ravager (bike24) for about 30-50% off local retail. I had warranty issues with my gp5000 and PBK was very easy to deal with. They just gave me a refund. Knowing bike24 is also a pretty reputable company I’m sure they would honour warranty issues as well

00Garza:
What tires are you looking for specifically?
Its hard to beat some of the online vendors (chainreaction, merlincycles, etc). I just scored some tubeless 45c WTB Ramblers for $18 a piece.

jannmayer:
I was looking at the Rekon. I haven't seen it for less than about $90 from a US vendor, although I didn't do an exhaustive search. I'll try some of the European sites too.

FullCarbonAlchemist:
You have to be careful with Ali tires because some of them are factory rejects with misaligned knobs, excess rubber (thin but tall membranes along center line most often), problems with the mold (knobs looking like someone sliced them in half and glued them back together misaligned) or warped casings/bead.

Hard to say how big a problem this is with Maxxis tires since like Shimano/SRAM parts these are often diverted from OEM supplies meant for building up bikes with at the factory, and so not rejects. But it does happen sometimes.

Once in a while you’ll find a good deal, usually on stuff like exotic fat bike tires that aren’t available in the USA (Kevlar bead Chaoyang Big Daddy for example; in the USA they’re mostly wire bead OEM only). But for high end MTB tires you’re usually better off paying the small — if any — premium to buy from European vendors like BikeInn and get something you know for sure passed QA checks at the factory and hasn’t sat on a warehouse shelf for 2-3+ years dry rotting the rubber.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version