Author Topic: dcrf26 frame - Scott Foil?  (Read 16266 times)

Yunglord

Re: dcrf26 frame - Scott Foil?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2023, 09:54:02 PM »
on tantan website, it ways 140mm rotor,  does it mean  160mm cannot fit ?

Without adapters indeed it only fits 140mm rotors like most road frames!

I think this is just due to their bad knowledge of the English language.

abdbeg

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2023, 02:26:07 AM »
What do you think about handlebar that comes with Aliexpress version of this frame?
 I'm worried that clamp system is not that good compared to classical vise like system.

abdbeg

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2023, 12:57:14 AM »
For everyone who's wondering, there are differences between Scott Foil and TanTan x38 geometry:

1) Top tube is more parallel to the ground, which leads to higher seatube, bigger rear triangle and probably more stiffer and harsher frame
2) Fork is a little bit thinner (like for 15%)
3) BB area a little smaller in height

Also yes, the frame support 160mm disc with adapter.

patliean1

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2023, 12:24:48 PM »
I wonder if the x38 also is taking advantage of the recent UCI rule changes to allow for a deeper headtube area. It's difficult to tell on TanTan's website, but when comparing to the geo photo above with the Scott Foil it appears that way.

patliean1

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2023, 09:00:32 AM »
So I ended up ordering an x38 frameset last night.

Size 56, raw unpainted, 400/120 integrated handlebars. Total was about $700 with UPS shipping and PayPal fees. They quoted me 15-20 days for production time. Lisa from Tan Tan responded promptly to all of my emails and questions. Here are my reasons for the x38:

1. Frame design - I think the x38 looks just unique enough to standout in a world of brands trying to follow the Specialized SL7 design philosophy. This is coming from an Allez Sprint and VB-168 owner. I understand why the Tarmac SL7 is so popular, but it's nice to see an actual aero frame be released (albeit a Scott Foil clone/inspiration).

2. Geometry - The size 56 is both taller in stack and shorter in reach than my typical setup. However, it's clear this frame was inspired by a TT bike. The trend these days is for riders to optimize their bike position more forward over the bottom bracket and on the hoods rather than the drops. Basically a TT position on the hoods. So the geometry makes a lot of sense. My attempt is to replicate this position  :o

3. T47 - Threaded bottom brackets on cheap frames have a high chance to be a nightmare. This is part of the reason I ordered the frame unpainted. It will make for good (or bad) video content.

Overall I'm not expecting this frame to be mind-blowing. At best it would be similar to my Dengfu R12 (also a SL7 clone) which is by far the stiffest frame I've tested for a budget Chinese frame. At worst it's a noodle like my VB-168 but I doubt it based on the design especially around the bottom bracket and thickness of the seatpost and fork.

I'll report back in a month...

ricedaddy

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2023, 12:59:49 PM »

Size 56, raw unpainted, 400/120 integrated handlebars. Total was about $700 with UPS shipping and PayPal fees. They quoted me 15-20 days for production time. Lisa from Tan Tan responded promptly to all of my emails and questions. Here are my reasons for the x38:

1. Frame design - I think the x38 looks just unique enough to standout in a world of brands trying to follow the Specialized SL7 design philosophy. This is coming from an Allez Sprint and VB-168 owner. I understand why the Tarmac SL7 is so popular, but it's nice to see an actual aero frame be released (albeit a Scott Foil clone/inspiration).

2. Geometry - The size 56 is both taller in stack and shorter in reach than my typical setup. However, it's clear this frame was inspired by a TT bike. The trend these days is for riders to optimize their bike position more forward over the bottom bracket and on the hoods rather than the drops. Basically a TT position on the hoods. So the geometry makes a lot of sense. My attempt is to replicate this position  :o

3. T47 - Threaded bottom brackets on cheap frames have a high chance to be a nightmare. This is part of the reason I ordered the frame unpainted. It will make for good (or bad) video content.

Overall I'm not expecting this frame to be mind-blowing. At best it would be similar to my Dengfu R12 (also a SL7 clone) which is by far the stiffest frame I've tested for a budget Chinese frame. At worst it's a noodle like my VB-168 but I doubt it based on the design especially around the bottom bracket and thickness of the seatpost and fork.

Awesome, I am very interested in the frame too. Can't wait for the vid!

abdbeg

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2023, 01:16:10 PM »

Yep, me too, I was ready to buy this frame, but now will wait for your review

abdbeg

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2023, 11:50:35 PM »
Hey patliean1, i want to make a paint that looks like FOIL RC ULTIMATE, so it looks like Standart UD finish, but with visible parts of the carbon fiber, but i'm not sure since it's looks a little brighter then other parts of the bike which are also have clear coat (you can clearly see on the photo of the seatpost), so any tips to reprodeuce the same finish for TanTan frameset?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 11:52:25 PM by abdbeg »

Sebastian

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2023, 12:17:41 AM »

Are you going to use a separate bar and stem setup?
I’m eyeing this as well. But the stack really is unusually high if you take into account that the integrated bars will require at least the headset bearing top cap to route the brake lines and the other spacer which acts as a cable cover beneath the stem. That will add at least another 3cm of stack making it very high by the looks of it.
Also, Tan Tan is offering this with BSA, BB30 and PF30 bb configuration (under the Ceccotti bike label) on Aliexpress. So if you think you’re taking a chance with T47, presumably you don’t have to.
Really looking forward to seeing how this works for you.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 12:20:08 AM by Sebastian »

patliean1

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2023, 10:00:50 AM »
Are you going to use a separate bar and stem setup?
I’m eyeing this as well. But the stack really is unusually high if you take into account that the integrated bars will require at least the headset bearing top cap to route the brake lines and the other spacer which acts as a cable cover beneath the stem. That will add at least another 3cm of stack making it very high by the looks of it.
Also, Tan Tan is offering this with BSA, BB30 and PF30 bb configuration (under the Ceccotti bike label) on Aliexpress. So if you think you’re taking a chance with T47, presumably you don’t have to.
Really looking forward to seeing how this works for you.

Here is my consideration. The long version. ;D

Yep I will be using the included integrated handlebars which alleviates the need for the very tall FSA no69 bearing cap. 400 width 120 stem. Gonna run SRAM eTap.

-The handlebars have a reach of 84mm with a -10 degree angle. This is about 9-10mm longer than a typical compact handlebar. Also depending how each brand measures their stems specifically for integrated handlebars (usually from the top cap bolt to the center of the top bar, not to the imaginary faceplate and bolts like a standard separate stem) I reckon the stem length is closer to 125-130mm. For perspective, the integrated handlebars on my Winspace T1500 is listed as 125mm, but has an effective reach closer to 135mm-140mm. I'm not joking.

-So the entire reach in totality (frame reach 394 + stem 120 + handlebar reach 84) gives me an overall reach of 598mm. This is only 3-5mm shorter than my typical road setup, and the effective reach of the integrated cockpit will more than compensate for the 5mm delta. Basically....reach wont be an issue.

-The YouTuber Peak Torque made a compelling video a couple years ago, making the case on why slamming your stem isn't a good idea. This is specifically for riders looking to comfortably hold a TT position in the hoods, as studies have proven this is the fastest/most aero position. Elbows tucked in and 90 degrees. His stance is that the larger the difference in saddle height to handlebar height/stack, the more difficult it is to sustain that position. It can really strain the triceps/forearms. And he's absolutely correct. The only reason I slam my stems is for both control and safety in the drops during road races/fast group rides . Don't really wanna be in a TT position on the hoods in a group unless you're pulling at the front or in a solo breakaway.

-Since the x38/Scott Foil looks like a TT bike it makes since for the taller than average stack height. The top tube is practically horizontal and the seat tube is almost vertical. Clearly this frame was intended with TT-whatever in mind. I'm excited to set this frame up in such a manner to investigate if this setup truly is actually faster. And sustainable.

@abdbeg - Those photos are inspiring. Looks like just a couple of thin layers of thin matte black paint and matte clearcoat to replicate that. Gonna do the same but add clear 3D effect sparkle paint.

ENEP

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 03:49:03 PM by ENEP »

ENEP

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2023, 05:18:21 AM »
Wonder if we can order that paint without the ugly logos haha

Can’t see that being a problem as a custom paint job option.

patliean1

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2023, 07:19:10 AM »
Just received UPS tracking for my frame and handlebars. Strangely fast since TanTan originally quoted me 15–20 days for production and it’s only been exactly 7 days since invoice. Maybe they had a spare.

Cnasta

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2023, 04:47:05 AM »
Just received UPS tracking for my frame and handlebars. Strangely fast since TanTan originally quoted me 15–20 days for production and it’s only been exactly 7 days since invoice. Maybe they had a spare.

Or maybe they know who you are and are aiming for a positive review :) Will be following this. Enjoying your builds/information :)