Author Topic: Need advice before purchasing  (Read 1513 times)

caseylain

Need advice before purchasing
« on: April 19, 2023, 04:26:21 PM »
Hi guys, I just found this forum while googling for info on chinese carbon frames. So, I'm trying to decide if a Carbon frame is right for me. Primarily I'm curious how durable they are for every day use. And not just commuting, I do bike delivery downtown. It will be run in pouring rain, snow, sleet, and 110 degree sun.

For those curious, this will be for a secondary bike I've been trying to get going for a month now. I bought a Eddie Bauer Supra full suspension bike for 180 off craigslist thinking it would be fun to send off curbs and stuff. I had a box full of random parts including a 11 speed cassette and chain to upgrade it with since it had pretty low end 8 speed components. I bought what I didn't have, put like 300 into it altogether and then the rear chainstay broke. Already called Eddie Bauer company and they don't carry parts so I need a new frame now...or all I got is what I started with...a pile of parts.

I've since decided I'd rather have a hardtail anyway. Been looking around and realized I can't get a new frame for cheaper then $200 now...(I will absolutely never buy used aluminum again after the eddie bauer snapped 2 weeks after I got it) and used steel costs more then new aluminum! Then I notice these BXT frames that are just a bit more at $300 and you know I've never had a carbon bicycle in my life I'm just a dirty poor after all....I can afford it but its still a lot for me. I'd hate to buy it and have it break on me a week later..

I mean, I wouldn't mind a alu frame, but jesus they're all so ugly on ali-express. The only ones that look good are the unpainted ones but none of those are small enough for my 5'4" self. The Carbon looks dope so I just need to know what the risk is. Can I beat on it, or is it strictly weekend princess material?

Anyway thanks for reading any input is appreciated  :)

jefflinde

Re: Need advice before purchasing
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 10:26:18 PM »
so they are full fledged mountain bikes.  so i am going on 8 years on various carbon frames and i have had zero issues.  the biggest things that will destroy them is using them outside their intended application.  so if the stuff you do in the city resembles the landings and impacts that one would see on a mountain bike trail then yes they will be fine.   if you are trying to be in the next CKY video, then you will probably brake it.  carbon does not take frame impacts well.  not to say they are fragile but if you land hard on the frame tube directly you will probably break them.  always remember wheels hit the ground first.  the wheels would probably be the first thing to fail though if you are riding in a city aggressively.  all the Youtube videos of ally cat racing and bike messenger stuff can all easily be done on a Chinese frame.  especially if you go mountain bike frame.  i have a rigid SS bike that has taken years of abuse with no issues.     

caseylain

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 10:55:01 PM »
cool thanks for the reply! Yeah I'm not doing any grinds or anything like that, just bike messenger stuff basically. That's good to know! I'm going to wait 1 more week to see if any reallly good deals pop up on craigslist or w/e if not I'm going to get the carbon bike. Thanks   :D

emu26

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 01:00:43 AM »
Make sure the stuff you have will actually be compatible with the frame you choose.