Author Topic: Integrated carbon handlebar and stem..  (Read 6050 times)

Sitar_Ned

Integrated carbon handlebar and stem..
« on: May 06, 2014, 10:15:44 PM »
I think the design of this is very promising.. Might consider one for my full suspension build - but only if they take my suggestion of making one with 710mm wide bars and 70mm long stem. As it is.. bars are too short and stem too long for my tastes.

Those bars with a Carbonal Titan frame, both in matte black,  would be sick looking.. Like some type of hammerhead stealth jet fighter.

Guess I might as well throw one of these on there while I'm at it.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:22:49 PM by Sitar_Ned »

Carbon_Dude

Re: Integrated carbon handlebar and stem..
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 06:59:39 AM »
Cool looking bike light!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:54:45 AM »
Cool looking bike light!

You haven't seen that yet? Prett cool tech.. syncs with your phone then uses different color led lights to act as your gps. Great for urban/street riding, not sure how useful it'd be for mtb though.

manmythlegend

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »

I always wanted a martian ship powered bicycle.

I think the lack of adjustment on integrated would drive me nuts. If you get a new seat or develpp any fit issues you end up kind of stuck.

Ive seen some that look like this also.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 05:45:14 PM »
Good point about being committed to a certain stem length with an integrated set-up like this.. but if you knew for sure your lengths and could get that size - seems like it'd be pretty sweet. Like I said in first post - if they offered one with 60-70mm stem length and 710-720mm bar width I know that fit my current set up perfect.

manmythlegend

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 08:51:26 PM »
Are there any other advantages outside of aesthetic and weight ?
I wonder if that axis actually has a chance of being stronger.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »
Funny you mention it bc I was thinking the exact same, just hadn't brought it up yet. Frankly, bc I'm not qualified or experienced enough to justify my opinion. That said, I bet integrated stems and bars could become standard, and may actually be stronger/superior to the current norm. Especially since carbon stems are already commonplace. Although, I will say that the Easton Haven 75mm stem and Haven 711mm bar is one of my favorite parts of my bike. Just looks beefy and bad ass. Not sure I'd want to switch to an integrated option like the above but if it was proven to be stronger and lighter. Especially for the price.

Basically, If they'd make one that mimicked my set-up (bar rise, bar sweep, similar beefy stem structure and design) and it was stronger and lighter... would be a no-brainer. Not sure if the stronger part is even possible, though. Like I said... not an engineer or carbon expert.

manmythlegend

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 12:50:48 AM »
Seems like you could do some exotic things with them. Definitely something to look into if strength is a factor. Love that stem btw.

brmeyer135

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 05:37:36 AM »
Also, for the weight weenies, these so far aren't lighter.
310g for the integrated 90mm and 660mm
One could do better by upwards of 30grams

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 11:53:11 PM »
Also, for the weight weenies, these so far aren't lighter.
310g for the integrated 90mm and 660mm
One could do better by upwards of 30grams

Ah. Thanks for pointing that out. I suppose I just assumed they were lighter. Maybe have to have a lot of thickness at the stem/bar intersection that it adds weight. Just guessing.