Author Topic: Action cameras  (Read 1646 times)

00Garza

Action cameras
« on: May 12, 2023, 03:47:02 PM »
Thinking of recording rides.  Are any of the Chinese action cameras worth looking at? Something like a SJcam or should I save up for save up for a DJI/GoPro/Insta360?

ChrisB

Re: Action cameras
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 02:03:45 AM »
I used some Akaso Cameras: The V50X and the Brave 7.
Generally they work until they don't...

The V50x was a good buy for the money but image quality and stabilisation is not even up to par with a GoPro9.

The Brave 7 is better in terms of image quality and for 150US$ at the time seemed to be a good choice.
However after 2 months the battery lifetime reduced dramatically and finally I found the problem is not the battery but in the electronic that measures the battery state.
Contacting Akaso was useless, they refused to replace the defective camera even after proving the defect by video to them. They just wanted to offer a 50 buck discount when buying a new camera....
Here the video I did showing the problem:

My personal advice is to try a cheap Chinese camera if you want to experiment... Once you decided it is something you really want to do with good image quality, go with GoPro/DJI or Insta360.
I am very happy with a GoPro9, stabilisation even on rough roads is way better than on the Akaso cameras.

When it comes to accessories, e.g. camera mounts or charger and batteries, you will get good deals from 3rd parties on AliExpress.
No need to spend extra money on original accessories at least in my opinion.

BR Chris
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 02:43:38 AM by ChrisB »

coffeebreak

Re: Action cameras
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 03:47:35 PM »
I've used one of these for about 2 years now on my road rides where traffic is questionable, and I want to have a record if a vehicle driver forces me off the road or hits me.

I used it a few times on local mtn bike trails, but it bounces around some.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804600374995.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.65b138daqWntQY&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

THis is the exact form factor I wanted. How is the battery life and video quality, can you make out number plates of vehicles?