Author Topic: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets  (Read 67048 times)

LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« on: June 05, 2023, 05:37:37 AM »
LTWOO launched their electronic groupset for mindboggling prices. Any experiences with or expectations of these groupsets?

Prices on alibaba are way cheaper than alixpress. Anybody ever bought from alibaba?

Carbon groupset ERX: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/China-LTWOO-2x12-speed-Wireless-Electric_1600838655769.html?spm=a2700.7735675.0.0.63e7aDQdaDQdMY

Aluminium groupset ER9: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/China-LTWOO-2x12-speed-Wireless-Electric_1600838975287.html?spm=a2700.details.0.0.5536138d2AnG1u

China cycling on the ERX:

Eddy_Twerckx

Re: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 10:13:34 AM »
ER9 pricing isn’t bad. Not sure I consider $575 for the carbon version much of a steal when Shimano 105 can be had for around $700 these days. But just under $450 for an electronic group is tempting.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 10:24:09 AM »
It's around 900 usd for EU on Ali

ricedaddy

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 10:50:16 AM »
Performance and reliability aside, it's just not worth it...yet. A full 105 di2 can be had for like $1250 usd

Sakizashi

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 11:45:47 AM »
I have done a few transactions on Alibaba and I would be surprised if the total cost of er9 is less than $500 to your door if you live in a western country. Its often cheaper to buy things on Aliexpress simply because sellers on Alibaba are passing all the fees on to you. A recent purchase of 50 garmin inserts for example was $20 cheaper on Aliexpress than Alibaba from the same seller.

Given that my target price for batteries, RD, FD, and shifters/brakes for Rival AXS is ~$700, I dont think I am in the market for er9 or ERX either given that warranty support is important for groupsets.

patliean1

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 01:41:04 PM »
Groupsets and wheels are the two things you really should not skimp on. Basically any moving or electronic components.

Framesets, handlebars/stem, saddles, and any other static parts can be had for cheap without really posing any risks to safety or reliability.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 02:43:45 AM »
ER9 pricing isn’t bad. Not sure I consider $575 for the carbon version much of a steal when Shimano 105 can be had for around $700 these days. But just under $450 for an electronic group is tempting.

Yea, it's so cheap that it's worth a try. The review of ChinaCycling does look good to me. Interestingly, on his reviews on the china bike show he mentioned that it is good to wait for the second version of a groupset. In general, the manufacturers tend to rule out the problems of the first version.

I'm also wondering, how are these groupsets patent wise? Are components illegal copies of other groupsets?

Liter

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 10:11:02 AM »
it actually looks better than the new Campy.

I wonder how the weight is for the ERX, but for the same price you could buy Sram Force.

mtbluvr68

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 10:48:00 AM »
Considering I can probably get into Sram Rival AXS for around $900.00 +/-  not sure that I'd want to take the chance on a cheaper chinese electro set.  I would on the other had try out the mechanical LTWOO graevel   1X12 set that TraceVelo loved. 
2021 Tan Tan Seraph FM027  w/Light Bicycle wheels(XC)
2022 Marin Rift Zone 3 w/ elite wheels (trail)
2021 Tideace FMR185 w/Light Bicycle Wheels (road)
2023  Chasing Wind w/ elite wheels (Gravel)

dsveddy

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 03:26:36 PM »
Considering I can probably get into Sram Rival AXS for around $900.00 +/-  not sure that I'd want to take the chance on a cheaper chinese electro set.  I would on the other had try out the mechanical LTWOO graevel   1X12 set that TraceVelo loved.

If we're comparing against SRAM, LTWOO's ERX is actually lighter than even SRAM Force for the same parts.
https://www.pandapodium.cc/2023/04/30/shimano-105-di2-killer-l-twoo-erx-groupset-first-look/

jonathanf2

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 04:20:49 PM »
Yea, it's so cheap that it's worth a try. The review of ChinaCycling does look good to me. Interestingly, on his reviews on the china bike show he mentioned that it is good to wait for the second version of a groupset. In general, the manufacturers tend to rule out the problems of the first version.

I'm also wondering, how are these groupsets patent wise? Are components illegal copies of other groupsets?

https://chinapatentstrategy.com/china-top-50-case-of-2019-how-a-functional-feature-is-construed-greatly-impacts-protection-scope-shimano-kk-v-sensah/

Shimano already sued Sensah awhile back. If there are any patent issues, I'm sure Shimano or SRAM would be taking legal action by now. I have no doubt they're watching LTwoo and Sensah with a microscope. The Chinese cycling industry is getting too big to ignore.

raisinberry777

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2023, 07:19:32 PM »
Groupsets and wheels are the two things you really should not skimp on. Basically any moving or electronic components.

Framesets, handlebars/stem, saddles, and any other static parts can be had for cheap without really posing any risks to safety or reliability.

For me, it's the lack of availability to me that proposes the biggest risk.

If a Shimano/SRAM/Campagnolo component on my bicycle fails, I can generally get a replacement same or next day, and in any event, it's unlikely to take longer than a week. For LTwoo/Sensah mechanical parts, the fact that they can be swapped out for SRAM/Shimano equivalents where required makes it a less scary proposition - a rear derailleur failure just means replacing it with a part from another brand.

With LTwoo electronic it's a very different story though - a failure is going to leave you waiting weeks for a replacement from China with no local alternative.

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2023, 02:18:50 AM »
https://chinapatentstrategy.com/china-top-50-case-of-2019-how-a-functional-feature-is-construed-greatly-impacts-protection-scope-shimano-kk-v-sensah/

Shimano already sued Sensah awhile back. If there are any patent issues, I'm sure Shimano or SRAM would be taking legal action by now. I have no doubt they're watching LTwoo and Sensah with a microscope. The Chinese cycling industry is getting too big to ignore.

Good to know. It is interesting that ChinaCycling started the PandaPodium website. It is a big move for the cycling industry, but he might end up being sued for reselling these products. I might try the electronic groupset one day. Buy it, before it's removed from the market lololol.

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2023, 06:38:49 AM »
Got quoted $559 for the eR9 group shipped to the US. Not terrible, but I’d probably wait still.

Goe

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2023, 08:54:05 AM »
I guess the saving grace of it being such a close to a 105 Di2 copy is that they've copied a time-proven design. It's not like they've created something from scratch leaving alot of room for error. My guess is that there may be problems with the app and firmware more than the physical units but that's just a guess. I'm also very interested in this but may wait for the second version, although er9 is tempting for the price