Author Topic: Hygge Aero Carbon Frame  (Read 43688 times)

BeR

Re: Hygge Aero Carbon Frame
« Reply #150 on: September 08, 2023, 02:27:14 AM »
It's interesting about them using photos without permission. I would more than happily allow them to use any photos I may post as long as they ask. If it is a good product I'd also happily recommend to others given some items are pretty hit and miss (particularly I have found with cycling clothing).

Can anyone recommend any cheap wheels? I would go with the Hygge wheels but am just not sure on the quality for that price point?

Same for me. If the frame is good, I will be proud if they use my photos.

If you can wait few weeks, I will make a review of their wheels too.

BeR

« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2023, 02:31:33 AM »
They were the ones I was looking at but missed them on sale price last week. I don't really want to pay that price plus Aussie tax though.

On other news I received my frameset today so a month earlier than originally scheduled via Ali express and 11 days after ordering to Australia. Box was quite damaged but after unboxing and inspection all seems okay. So that's shipping companies roughness and not on Hygge as the frame was well wrapped and protected.

Ok initial inspection:
- both brake mounts seem to have been faced
- there is some play, very minimal, in both upper and lower headset bearings, however this should pull tight once plug is installed (I hope)
- finish looks good, one minor blemish on inside of chainstay on drive side where there looks to be a small area filled but other than that it's black on black carbon so has the raw carbon look
- steerer tube looks to be solid, no evidence of any fill used anywhere
- haven't tried bottom bracket yet.

I'll be a few weeks still before building up as I'm in a sling for another 4 weeks following shoulder surgery but will provide updates.

Do you have some pictures to share please ?

Dmgreen13

« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2023, 03:30:52 AM »
A few I have taken of brake mount area and frame.

sbellote

« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2023, 10:15:15 AM »
Can anyone recommend any cheap wheels? I would go with the Hygge wheels but am just not sure on the quality for that price point?
I'd go with Elite or Superteam, seems to be the cheapest ones on Aliexpress at least. I have some Superteams going strong for 2 wheels, minor problems with weather sealing but all good with periodic maintenance

Aliexpress just finished a sale, end of august, so it's common that the prices rise a little... maybe in 2-3 weeks (tops) the prices drop a bit, you can message the sellers and ask if there are sales coming or any coupons available, there are some that are willing to negotiate some deals
be aware that in 2 months it's 11.11 which is the biggest sale, so it's also common that the stores hold discounts a bit on the previous months.. if you're able to wait until then, it's almost certain you'll get a better deal

BeR

« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2023, 05:15:07 AM »
For those who already have the frame, could you recommend a Di2 battery holder for the specialized shape of the seat post ? Or does anyone have the exact dimensions of the seat post please ?

Wrighty

« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2023, 10:20:17 AM »
Hello! My first post here.

I wanted to leave a review of the Hygge Model S frame and the 2023 Carbon wheels but before I do that I want to frame my experiance with riding and building bikes.  I only got into cycling in may this year, I bought an alloy gravel bike but discovered I love road riding pretty quickly and decided I needed a carbon road bike  ;D As I am so new to the sport I didn't want to go and spend loads of money on something I potentially would get bored with (not going to happen) and as an engineer I love building things so I decided to buy a load of stuff off of Aliexpress and get to work.  I settled on the Hygee Model S for no reason other than I liked the look of it.  I couldn't find any details/reviews so after a while I decided to take the plunge and buy it.

It took about 4/5 weeks to get to the UK, arrived well packaged and everything present.  I haven't built a bike before but the process was pretty easy, I think the integrated bars are nicely done, honestly didn't take me very long at all (I guess electronic shifting makes it easier.  I did notice that one of the bottle cage captive nuts was drilled not centrally (image included) I took this back to Hygge and they didn't have much to say other than acknowledging its wonky and it wouldn't be an issue and to be fair it isn't. I had forgotten about it until just now. Originally I set this up with an L-TWOO ERX groupset but that has turned out to be total trash (1 mile ridden on that POS groupset but that's another story) and I've had a nightmare getting any support on it.  Eventually, in desperation to ride this thing I bought a Di2 105 12spd groupset and its been great.  I really should have done that from the start. 

Anyways I am now 120km into this bike and so far so good.  I'm 108KG so at the upper end of the weight limit but no problems yet, the carbon wheels are great (I had to scrape off some of the lettering as I thought it was hideous) and the whole thing is seriously light, unfortunately I have no scales though.  One issue I do have is the chain stays are super wide, fortunately I use 20mm pedal extensions but it would be tight without them.  One thing the pictures never show is the frame has this gorgeous speckled flip paint that switches between purple and green and I've already had a lot of comments about it

BeR

« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2023, 11:02:39 AM »
Hello! My first post here.

I wanted to leave a review of the Hygge Model S frame and the 2023 Carbon wheels but before I do that I want to frame my experiance with riding and building bikes.  I only got into cycling in may this year, I bought an alloy gravel bike but discovered I love road riding pretty quickly and decided I needed a carbon road bike  ;D As I am so new to the sport I didn't want to go and spend loads of money on something I potentially would get bored with (not going to happen) and as an engineer I love building things so I decided to buy a load of stuff off of Aliexpress and get to work.  I settled on the Hygee Model S for no reason other than I liked the look of it.  I couldn't find any details/reviews so after a while I decided to take the plunge and buy it.

It took about 4/5 weeks to get to the UK, arrived well packaged and everything present.  I haven't built a bike before but the process was pretty easy, I think the integrated bars are nicely done, honestly didn't take me very long at all (I guess electronic shifting makes it easier.  I did notice that one of the bottle cage captive nuts was drilled not centrally (image included) I took this back to Hygge and they didn't have much to say other than acknowledging its wonky and it wouldn't be an issue and to be fair it isn't. I had forgotten about it until just now. Originally I set this up with an L-TWOO ERX groupset but that has turned out to be total trash (1 mile ridden on that POS groupset but that's another story) and I've had a nightmare getting any support on it.  Eventually, in desperation to ride this thing I bought a Di2 105 12spd groupset and its been great.  I really should have done that from the start. 

Anyways I am now 120km into this bike and so far so good.  I'm 108KG so at the upper end of the weight limit but no problems yet, the carbon wheels are great (I had to scrape off some of the lettering as I thought it was hideous) and the whole thing is seriously light, unfortunately I have no scales though.  One issue I do have is the chain stays are super wide, fortunately I use 20mm pedal extensions but it would be tight without them.  One thing the pictures never show is the frame has this gorgeous speckled flip paint that switches between purple and green and I've already had a lot of comments about it

Are tires 28" or 26 ? Can you tell me which Di2 battery holder do you use in the seat post ?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 11:04:39 AM by BeR »

Wrighty

« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2023, 11:09:52 AM »
Are tires 28" or 26 ? Can you tell me which Di2 battery holder do you use in the seat post ?

Hi there

The tyres are 30mm (IIRC) Pirelli P zero race.  Di2 battery holder is a piece of the foam the frame came wrapped in wrapped around the battery secured with some tape and then stuffed in the seat post
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 11:17:04 AM by Wrighty »

BeR

« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2023, 11:19:32 AM »
Hi there

The tyres are 30mm (IIRC) Pirelli P zero race.  Di2 battery holder is a piece of the foam wrapped around the battery secured with some tape and then stuffed in the seat post

Thank you. Do you have an issue with a slipping seat post like someone else ? Did you install a seat post clamp cover ? The color is nice. Great build.

Wrighty

« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2023, 12:40:44 PM »
Ah indeed I have had seatpost issues, I wanted to put that in the original post but forgot!

So yeah, I had the seatpost disappear into the frame twice very early on.  How I fixed it is I sanded all sides of the clamp and applied grip paste but I think the thing that got this sorted was I applied loctite to the clamping bolt and then tightened it to 10Nm.  I’ve had over 100 trouble free Km since then.  I think the issue is the bolt just loosens up,  with the loctite I haven’t seen the problem again.  I fed this back to Hygge and they actually have a new clamp design (picture attached), I'm not convinced that it will fix the issue as the new clamp adds a new grip to the side that grips the seat post, I’m sure it will help some but I think the loctite is the one.  I have told them I recommend having a captive nyloc nut on the underside, this would alleviate the issue.

And yeah, it’s a lovely bike - I’m really happy with it so far and looking forward to spending more time with it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 12:50:16 PM by Wrighty »

coffeebreak

« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2023, 12:44:18 PM »
Originally I set this up with an L-TWOO ERX groupset but that has turned out to be total trash (1 mile ridden on that POS groupset but that's another story) and I've had a nightmare getting any support on it.  Eventually, in desperation to ride this thing I bought a Di2 105 12spd groupset and its been great.  I really should have done that from the start. 

That colors looks nice! Hope you have a good time riding it. I would like to hear what exactly happened with the L-T groupset. I have made up my mind to stay away from these groupsets (even fully mechanical ones) considering you can get Shimano stuff at prices not very far from L-T's.

BeR

« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2023, 12:50:45 PM »
Is the maximum torque written on all screws (seat post, stem, etc.) ?

I will put some blue thread lock on the bolt and carbon paste on the seat post to see if I will have the same problem.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2023, 01:27:41 PM »

I will put some blue thread lock on the bolt and carbon paste on the seat post to see if I will have the same problem.
I asked the seller for the torque for the seatpost since it keeps slipping, even with my 64kg. Torque spec is 5-6Nm according to them. Since I did already torque to 6Nm and added thread locker this does not seem to be enough...

Wrighty

« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2023, 01:35:16 PM »

It is not written anywhere but like TidyDinosaur I asked them and they said 7Nm should be plenty, it was not.  I suggest trying 10 like me which is working.   Maybe also ask them for their new clamp?

jonathanf2

« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2023, 01:46:22 PM »
I asked the seller for the torque for the seatpost since it keeps slipping, even with my 64kg. Torque spec is 5-6Nm according to them. Since I did already torque to 6Nm and added thread locker this does not seem to be enough...

Is the Hygge seat post clamp similar to the TFSA setup? I haven't had any seat post slippage since using the front/back tape seatpost method and using a titanium screw. Also I put a wrap of electrical tape at the seat post base to keep it from sliding down. No Loctite or over torquing necessary.