Author Topic: Yishun R086-D Aero Road  (Read 20254 times)

patliean1

Yishun R086-D Aero Road
« on: August 02, 2023, 11:09:02 PM »
I just ordered a R086-D. Figured a new thread would be easier, to avoid confusing the with the R068-D. With such a long and low geometry I should not have any problems mirroring the setup to my Allez Sprint or Winspace T1500.

https://www.yishunbike.com/product/r086-daero-road/

DETAILS
Frame: R086-D Aero Road frameset
Size: 540
ST062 Stem: 130mm*
HB058 Handlebar: 40cm*
*Both the stem and handlebar allow for internal cable routing
Includes bearings, spacers, hangers, and thru-axles, etc

Yishun only offers custom painting services for orders of 4 or more, so only matte black is offered. Totally fine by me. Kitty, their sales rep, responded to all of my emails within 24 hours. The transaction was super easy.

One hilarious quirk, which I couldn't tell if he/she was bluffing, was the comment below:
"Since we're going to send non-selling components parts to our german warehouse next monday. If you need the frameset, pls confirm the order this week."

Whether or not this was a simply a sales tactic or them being truthful, I'm not one to waste people's time (or mine) when it comes to pulling the trigger on a frame purchase. I'll report back in a few weeks when the frame arrives.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 08:28:18 AM by patliean1 »

Yunglord

Re: Yishun R086-D Aero Road
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 12:35:44 AM »
That is one funky looking downtube!

Looking forward to the review and build.

neobiker

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 12:40:54 AM »
Nice :) Hope you will make a great video from it :)

patliean1

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 08:49:11 AM »
I'm actually still trying to understand why this frameset exists. The geometry is so extreme even by most major brand standards. I would be curious which companies Yishun produces for.

Sebastian

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 12:00:55 PM »
The stack is not that extremely low if you take into account that the proprietary top headset cover will probably add around 2cm of stack height. And you’ll have to use it unless you source something lower. The reach however is definitely longer than most.

You could still make it work for most of you were to use a shorter stem. But the head angle is quite steep on this frame. Using a shorter than usual stem on top of that might make it steer really nervously.

The design is not
My cup of tea. That funky looking downtube and the seat stay/ seat tube cluster aren’t my thing. I’m curious however what it looks like as a full build.

patliean1

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 01:58:06 PM »
The stack is not that extremely low if you take into account that the proprietary top headset cover will probably add around 2cm of stack height. And you’ll have to use it unless you source something lower. The reach however is definitely longer than most.

You could still make it work for most of you were to use a shorter stem. But the head angle is quite steep on this frame. Using a shorter than usual stem on top of that might make it steer really nervously.

The design is not
My cup of tea. That funky looking downtube and the seat stay/ seat tube cluster aren’t my thing. I’m curious however what it looks like as a full build.

My latest Yoeleo R12 uses both the identical stem and proprietary headset system. Perhaps Yishun/LC does in fact produce for Yoeleo.

Without extra spacers the headset cover is 35mm and the stem is 20mm tall. Cockpit 55mm total. Frame stack height for a size 54 is 549mm.
For reference my Allez Sprint has a cockpit height of 50mm, but a frame stack of 558mm.

So technically the Yishun R086-D is lower than my Allez Sprint by 4mm, but once you factor in stem angles, handlebar drop, and the recessed headtube it should be pretty much identical. Mind you I am running a 140mm -12 stem slammed as much as possible on my Allez.

Honestly the R086-D isn't the best looking frame ever. However, a good looking bike is troublesome without an optimal bike fit. Part of the reason I have yet to do a full review on my TanTan x38 is that despite its looks (subjectively) I have not been able to optimize my fit. I'll take an ugly bike that allows me to be comfortably aero, versus a pretty bike with too much stack and not enough reach.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 02:02:27 PM by patliean1 »

neobiker

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 06:22:09 AM »
About the TT-x38, except for the fit, would you recommend the frame otherwise? Is it compliant?

patliean1

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 08:23:14 AM »
About the TT-x38, except for the fit, would you recommend the frame otherwise? Is it compliant?

Check this thread out:

https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4139.0.html

pearl

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2023, 03:43:10 PM »
let me know if you sell the Tantan frame or this one first, im looking for an obnoxiously aero bike to build lol

patliean1

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2023, 04:03:23 PM »
let me know if you sell the Tantan frame or this one first, im looking for an obnoxiously aero bike to build lol

Haha I'm almost certain I will sell the TanTan mainly for geometry reasons. And redundancy of road bikes. Thankfully it's still unpainted and the decals should be easily removable with rubbing alcohol.

In case anyone else nerds out over frame geometry like myself, here is a comparison between the Allez, T1500, and R086-D.
Spacers height (Line 10) includes the headset cover and height of the stem/cockpit

St0mpB0x

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 08:56:56 PM »
It has a similar stack and reach to my current bike which I use 130mm -17deg stem on.... I am a weird case though and definitely not representative.

Sebastian

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2023, 02:14:01 AM »
Without extra spacers the headset cover is 35mm and the stem is 20mm tall.

Really? But surely the clamping area on the fork steerer is taller than that? It certainly looks taller.
I must say I'm really not a fan of how these days' the head tubes on aero bikes get shorter an shorter, whilst the headset covers get bigger (because of internal routing) and spacer towers under people's cockpits get taller and taller. Add to that smaller stems, weird C ring designs and short expander plugs and you get a recipe for disaster - see the Tarmac SL7. And surely steering must feel less precise and the leverage and forces at the fork steerer / headset junction increase.

patliean1

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2023, 09:35:55 AM »
Add to that smaller stems, weird C ring designs and short expander plugs and you get a recipe for disaster

I never ever ever use the supplied expander plugs from cheap Chinese brands. Besides being way too short, they usually don't grip the steer tube very well. I only use Neco Headset Expander in a size large, which can be found on Amazon. The extra weight is worth the extra security.

Side note: my frame shipped last night. The communication from Yishun has been very good thus far.

svanimpe

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2023, 10:34:01 AM »
I would be curious which companies Yishun produces for.

Here's one: https://prorace.be/bikes/aero/randa/

coffeebreak

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2023, 12:44:56 PM »
4k for mechanical 105 with budget 300 bucks wheels, boy these guys are ambitious.