Author Topic: Elitewheels Edge wheelset  (Read 13523 times)

BalticSea

Elitewheels Edge wheelset
« on: September 18, 2023, 05:07:08 AM »
Can anyone share their experience with the wheelset in question? I figured it is better to have a separate thread rather than using general ones considering that the wheels are a somewhat common suggestion.

Also, they're on promo again

WhityWhite

Re: Elitewheels Edge wheelset
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 08:05:36 AM »
I had already explicitly asked for this in this thread:
http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4325.0.html

Unfortunately without success...

However, I finally ordered them because of the many reviews on AliExpress and the consistently positive image of EliteWheels on the Internet.

At the last "Schools XXX - Sale" I bought the 65 for less than 500 Euros including shipping.
Since they didn't keep up with the orders, I had to extend the production time so that the order wouldn't be cancelled.
I am supposed to receive them in November.

So assume a long wait when ordering.

But since I don't need them until next spring, that was fine with me, in terms of specifications and price.

I will report back on my experience!

I hope they arrive a little earlier so I have enough time to test them, as I will then be hitting them again on 11/11, with a lower rim height, for my climbing bike.

BalticSea

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 08:40:57 AM »
I had already explicitly asked for this in this thread:
http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4325.0.html

Unfortunately without success...

However, I finally ordered them because of the many reviews on AliExpress and the consistently positive image of EliteWheels on the Internet.

At the last "Schools XXX - Sale" I bought the 65 for less than 500 Euros including shipping.
Since they didn't keep up with the orders, I had to extend the production time so that the order wouldn't be cancelled.
I am supposed to receive them in November.

So assume a long wait when ordering.

But since I don't need them until next spring, that was fine with me, in terms of specifications and price.

I will report back on my experience!

I hope they arrive a little earlier so I have enough time to test them, as I will then be hitting them again on 11/11, with a lower rim height, for my climbing bike.

Interesting. Did you select DPD shipping when making the order or did you go with standard Ali shipping?

WhityWhite

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 09:00:36 AM »
Selleres shipping method.

the other variants would have been much more expensive.

Sebastian

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 12:39:02 PM »
I had a set of these in my workshop for a while. I built a V-BR099 with these for a friend. See the dedicated thread for photos. I measured them to have a consistent inner width of 21.3-21.5. Outer width maxes out at roughly 30mm slightly below the rim edge IIRC.
I just did a ride with my friend yesterday where he rode these wheels. Nothing bad to say really. They’re stupendously light for a wheelset that deep and that cheap. I measured the spoke tension to be perfect throughout. They were absolutely true. I did specifically recommend them to him bc of the great value for money. The freehub is the loudest I ever heard. It can be quietened with a bit of grease or oil I guess.

So they’re great is all I can say. He’s only done around 200km with these. So no long term experience obviously.
And: They’re painted in matte black. Wouldn’t be my cup of tea, personally. I like my wheels to have the carbon visible.

Mic553

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 02:10:36 PM »
I got the 50mm version recently, ran about 350km on it until now. So far they are doing just fine. They came true and stayed so after some running, actually including some light gravel use with 30mm tyres.

My only issue was, they came without preinstalled tape and the tape in the box wasn't enough for both wheels. That wasn't great, but no showstopper obviously.

Delivery to Germany was fast and smooth to my door. After ordering they asked me if I wanted DPD shipping toll included, it would be 37$ additional cost. I accepted and they send a link for another ali-payment from which I had to order a quantity of 38. Seems strange, but worked.

I asked them to send the wheels without any branding and stickers and they did. I like the matte black look. The spokes don't look as good as Sapim CX-Ray though, they seem rougher.

So all in all I'm satisfied and would recommend them at this price point. I'm coming from MTB, so I cannot really compare them to other road sets, how they feel, how fast they are.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 02:17:34 PM by Mic553 »

Sebastian

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 03:11:53 PM »
Same here. I forgot to mention that. Tax free shipping comes on top and you need to take that into account. Rim tape was not enough for two wheels.

I’m running two wheelsets with Pillar 1420s now and another two with Sapim CX-Rays. I’ve also built custom wheels with CX-Rays, Pillar 1420s and CN Mac424 spokes, which are a CX-Ray copy as well. It might be true that Sapim uses higher grade steel. But honestly, geometrically these spokes are virtually identical and all these wheels are running fine without issues after many years.

When given the choice, I’d happily choose 1420s over CX-Rays to save some money. Cheap aluminium nipples can be more of a problem IMO. I only use Sapim Polyax nipples for aluminium. With the cheap ones, the anodising wears off when tightening them down and they corrode and seize easily over time, especially when a wheelset sees a lot of dirt and water or salty winter roads. If you do wash your bike regularly with non aggressive cleaner, it shouldn’t be an issue, though.

Takiyaki

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 03:30:19 PM »
These are interesting!!! I have a set of their cheapo rim brake wheels. I grabbed them because they have a 28mm outer width which is rare for rim brake wheels

So 30mm wide + light + cheap for my disc build is right up my alley. I like how they look too. I might still go with Light Bicycle WRs in the end though. They are 32mm wide and I want that width.

jonathanf2

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 05:20:04 PM »
I'm somewhat tempted to get these, but I had issues during the winter getting blown around with sub 1400g deep dish wheels on open flats. My current cheap carbon wheels are around 1600g and I"m running TPU tubes w/lightweight 25c tires. Other than faster acceleration and less rotational weight on the climbs, any other justification to upgrade??

Sebastian

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 01:33:24 AM »
I'm somewhat tempted to get these, but I had issues during the winter getting blown around with sub 1400g deep dish wheels on open flats. My current cheap carbon wheels are around 1600g and I"m running TPU tubes w/lightweight 25c tires. Other than faster acceleration and less rotational weight on the climbs, any other justification to upgrade??

Not sure whether a difference of 150-200g is going to make a huge difference in how the wheels will feel in crosswinds TBH. I guess that's more a question of rim depth/cross section and spoke count.
Much like with superlight bikes in general, slightly lighter wheels probably won't make you decisively faster. But they feel nicer IMO.
For instance, I built a wheelset out of used superlight HED tubular rims in 30mm height. These weigh just around 300g per rim and paired with light tubs they have very little inertia. I swear they make you feel like you have superhuman power on steep climbs because they're just so easy to spin up. It's just a nice feeling. I'm basically climbing with the same speed but it just feels a lot more inspiring. Whatever that's worth.

Avalius

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 02:51:22 AM »
With the sale now and code 930 for europe. I've bought a pair of these yesterday 50mm.. curious about these wheels.
Had alot of wheels already with cheap Chosen D12 hubs but I like pillar wing spokes and ratchet system :)

WhityWhite

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2023, 08:38:04 AM »
My 65 Edge arrived yesterday.  ;)

I have weighed and inspected them directly.
According to my kitchen scale 1,532 grams for 65 carbon wheels. Nice!

Unfortunately, there was a fat scrape on the hub of the front wheel. The, the functionality does not affect, but is just stupid ... I have written directly to Elite and also already have feedback that they care about a solution.

Otherwise, the first impression is really good. Processing seems to be visually top.
The sound is very deep - it sounds really good.

Tomorrow will be the first test drive! :)

Depending on how the test runs tomorrow and how Elite regulates the damage, I can very well imagine also a set for my climbing bike to acquire. Of course with a lower rim height.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 08:39:41 AM by WhityWhite »

Dark17

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2023, 08:55:47 AM »
is that a LCR0XD?
rematistang jempoy (sprinter fred) from The Philippines

WhityWhite

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2023, 09:26:06 AM »
No

It's a Leeze Gravel One

... But I know now, it's a Ican gra02.

WhityWhite

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2023, 06:33:12 AM »
I test rode the wheelset with TPU tubes during a basic training session yesterday.
I am impressed by the first impression. They really go forward. Very Stiff. And the sound is music to my ears.

Of course I can't say anything about the long-term quality. But in terms of ride quality, they are in no way inferior to my Leeze CC50.

Subjectively I would say that they give more propulsion - but that could just be the joy of the new one or the acoustic note of how the high rims cut the wind or the air... so no meaningful rating :-D