Author Topic: Elitewheels Edge wheelset  (Read 13533 times)

carbonazza

Re: Elitewheels Edge wheelset
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2024, 05:22:59 AM »
Is it easy to install the GP 5000 tubetype on them ? Which one looks better between 23 and 25 mm ?

Just a note about the GP5000 tubeless, the second generation is much easier to put on than the first(was a nightmare in general).
I was even able recently to put them and inflate them using a floor pump, without a compressor.
So maybe you can scout forums to know if the new tube type generation is easier too.

blackpyros

« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2024, 07:58:44 AM »
Does anyone use rim strips with this wheelset? I really struggle to choose proper width. The specs say the wheels have inner width of 21mm. I bought and installed Ritchey 17mm rim strips thinking covering just the middle bent area will be enough as one only really need to cover the holes for nipples. But now thanks to that bending the strip sticks out a little and I am affraid it's sharp edges may damage inner tubes and cause flats. Maybe I should buy wider strips but how wide exactly? I don't want them to get in the way with the tyre beads.

BeR

« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2024, 12:35:47 PM »
Does anyone use rim strips with this wheelset? I really struggle to choose proper width. The specs say the wheels have inner width of 21mm. I bought and installed Ritchey 17mm rim strips thinking covering just the middle bent area will be enough as one only really need to cover the holes for nipples. But now thanks to that bending the strip sticks out a little and I am affraid it's sharp edges may damage inner tubes and cause flats. Maybe I should buy wider strips but how wide exactly? I don't want them to get in the way with the tyre beads.

I use the rime tape which came with the wheels. It is 25 mm wide.

blackpyros

« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2024, 12:50:59 PM »
I use the rime tape which came with the wheels. It is 25 mm wide.
Thanks but that's a rim tape. I am a little worried if 25mm rim strip would perfectly fit as well. Don't really want to waste another money. Would be nice if anyone here that uses a rim strip could confirm.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2024, 12:59:10 PM »
Thanks but that's a rim tape. I am a little worried if 25mm rim strip would perfectly fit as well. Don't really want to waste another money. Would be nice if anyone here that uses a rim strip could confirm.

Why not just use the rim tape if it was supplied with the wheels? If you apply it correctly you're also set for a future switch to tubeless.

jonathanf2

« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2024, 06:25:26 PM »
For my 21mm internal width road rims, I use 25mm rim tape. Also because I'm cheap I use 25mm rim tape on my 25mm internal width gravel rims. I just buy big rolls of Stans-style tubeless tape on Ebay. Don't use the cheap blue tape from AliEx, that junk will tear at the spoke holes even with a double wrap.

buttcrack

« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2024, 10:53:09 AM »
Hi, new to this all so after reading all possible on these wheels I took a chance and orderded them, probably not for the cheapedt price but I reckon still pretty decent value.

I wasn’t sure what size to take (40 or 50) but then Suki suggested to take 45 as it would be the fastest to get.

Right now I have stock tyers on my canyon ultimate 7, the GP 5000 in 28mm. Do they fit on theses wheels or should I get a new pair?

Do I need to pay attention to anything else? Never ordered such things from Ax before in such value (cell phone does not count). Can there be something wrong when delivered? Sorry if there are dumb questions but I am new to this. Regards

Serge_K

« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2024, 11:00:41 AM »
Hi, new to this all so after reading all possible on these wheels I took a chance and orderded them, probably not for the cheapedt price but I reckon still pretty decent value.

I wasn’t sure what size to take (40 or 50) but then Suki suggested to take 45 as it would be the fastest to get.

Right now I have stock tyers on my canyon ultimate 7, the GP 5000 in 28mm. Do they fit on theses wheels or should I get a new pair?

Do I need to pay attention to anything else? Never ordered such things from Ax before in such value (cell phone does not count). Can there be something wrong when delivered? Sorry if there are dumb questions but I am new to this. Regards

AFAIK elite sells 28mm wide road rims, so with your gp5000 28C you're golden. I assume you run tubes, make sure the wheels have rim tape, and that should be about it. The probability there's a problem with shipping is very low. When you install the wheels you can check they're true, or true enough. If you go downhill really, really fast it can be worth balancing them by putting small lead weights across the valve (golf lead weights on Alix).

rasch

« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2024, 11:09:04 AM »
I have 32 on 28mm and it's ok. I prefer the confier side ahaha. Just don't put larger coz frame can't take it ahaha

BeR

« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2024, 11:56:20 AM »
Elite supplies rim tape with the wheels. I received the 40 mm last week and did 300 km. So far so good. My max speed was 62 km/h and nothing to say, they are really nice.

My tires : P zero race clincher - 28 mm

buttcrack

« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2024, 12:43:33 PM »
AFAIK elite sells 28mm wide road rims, so with your gp5000 28C you're golden. I assume you run tubes, make sure the wheels have rim tape, and that should be about it. The probability there's a problem with shipping is very low. When you install the wheels you can check they're true, or true enough. If you go downhill really, really fast it can be worth balancing them by putting small lead weights across the valve (golf lead weights on Alix).

Shouldnt spike adjustment do the trick? Never heard of putting weight tape to bike rims.

Serge_K

« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2024, 01:12:11 PM »
Idk what spike adjustment mean. Depending on the wheel and tube, and assuming you go downhill very fast, balancing the wheels can be really helpful and feel much nicer.

Minjin

« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2024, 09:27:08 AM »
Do you guys think this wheelset is worth the 50% premium over the Elitewheels ENT wheelset? Considering an upgrade to the Bontrager Paradigm Comp 25 TLR wheels on my Trek Domane.

I'm specifically comparing the ~$430 Elitewheels ENT Gravel 45mm depth to the ~$640 Elitewheels Edge Gravel 45mm depth (both with Shimano, centerlock, steel bearing).

Is there any sound comparison available? I've heard some Elitewheels can be unbearably loud.

Also, any thoughts on the ceramic bearing upgrade?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2024, 09:33:03 AM »
Do you guys think this wheelset is worth the 50% premium over the Elitewheels ENT wheelset? Considering an upgrade to the Bontrager Paradigm Comp 25 TLR wheels on my Trek Domane.

I'm specifically comparing the ~$430 Elitewheels ENT Gravel 45mm depth to the ~$640 Elitewheels Edge Gravel 45mm depth (both with Shimano, centerlock, steel bearing).

Is there any sound comparison available? I've heard some Elitewheels can be unbearably loud.

Do you mind summing up the differences here?

Avalius

« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2024, 09:53:21 AM »

There is a weight difference of 300gr. Comes with a better hub (ratchet) and pillar wing spokes. Also they use the lighter carbon for the rims. Both good wheels tried them both.
Both are loud but I don't mind that.