Author Topic: Elitewheels Edge wheelset  (Read 29125 times)

BalticSea

Re: Elitewheels Edge wheelset
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2024, 02:02:39 AM »
I've tested EDGE, ENT, and DRIVE wheels. The ENT and EDGE differ mainly in weight, spokes, and rim profiles. I am not sure about the SLT and SLR. I will consider writing a comparison article about all these wheelsets. Anyway, the DRIVE wheels have carbon spokes and ceramic bearings.
Regarding ride feel, EDGE + ENT are pretty soft but comfortable. But for example, I didn't feel like riding 1350g wheels when riding EDGE. They are not as responsive as DRIVE ones, which are a bit lighter. The ENTs are much heavier and better for flats and steady efforts.
Having said that, I would recommend saving a bit more for DRIVE wheels. They are my go-to climbing wheels (45mm depth weighs under 1300g), and they are much more responsive than EDGE.
However, it also depends on your experience. For example, I would be happy if I was transitioning from ALU wheels to EDGE. But given that I've tried wheels costing over $1000 with carbon spokes, I'd opt for those instead.
Feel free to visit my website where you learn more details on these wheels.

I'm pretty sure it is the difference between steel and carbon spokes.
Besides, not everyone needs max stiffness and without proper tests feelings are irrelevant

BeR

« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2024, 06:39:58 AM »
OK good to know it's not an issue with my particular wheel, thank you. If it's not as smooth when free wheeling does it mean technically it requires more effort to ride? Or that small amount of resistance is negligible

I am not an expert for answering but I find that wheels are smooth when riding.

Takiyaki

« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2024, 11:00:36 AM »
I just ordered the EDGE 35 gravel wheels. They came in at about 1370g and measure 31mm wide. Build completion is months away but they look pretty good. Kind of regretting not getting the 45s but we'll see.

RasmusWH

« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2024, 03:49:18 PM »
I just ordered the EDGE 35 gravel wheels. They came in at about 1370g and measure 31mm wide. Build completion is months away but they look pretty good. Kind of regretting not getting the 45s but we'll see.

Just received the Edge 45 Gravel here, 1420g w/o rim tape. Plenty of tape for both wheels was included.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 03:55:02 PM by RasmusWH »

rtuk

« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2024, 03:07:27 PM »
Have a set of Edge wheels in transit - Steel Bearing, 40mm, Inner width 21mm, SHIMAN0 - reassurance from reading this forum and also tracevelo helped me overcome my initial reluctance to finally go for a big ticket AE purchase.

Can anyone help me out with a disc query or 3. I've just asked Elitewheels as well, but as it's already the weekend for them - I'm assuming it could be Monday before I hear back.

1. Do I need to source the disc lockring or will it come with the wheels? There's no mention on the AE Edge page [url]https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004767705476.html[url] so I'm guessing not.

2. If I need to get lockings with my discs what version should I get? I'm seeing that many discs come with an external included, so if that would work I won't need to buy separate internal lockings.

Bike is a Giant Revolt and the current wheels are Giant CXR-2 with Shimano SM-RT70-S rotors - those have internal lockings.

Eyeballing the CXR-2 hubs in the frame /fork there seems to be quite a bit more spare clearance on the rear than the front.

3. I'm guessing that's potentially misleading & I need to see the Edge wheels installed to work out if there's room for an external or maybe I should just buy some discs with external and try and fit them? Happy to take pics if it'd help.

Any thoughts/experiences welcome - last time I bought & fitted disc brakes was about 10-12 years ago for my mountain bike.

coffeebreak

« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2024, 03:19:20 PM »
Any thoughts/experiences welcome - last time I bought & fitted disc brakes was about 10-12 years ago for my mountain bike.

Wheelset won't come with disc lock rings. When you buy rotors, they might come with lock rings. It doesn't matter what type though. The external lockrings need a larger wrench (one used for BBs), the internal lockrings need the same socket as the one you use for tightening the cassette onto freehub. Personally I prefer the larger, external lockrings for their looks but functionally there is no difference. If I remember correctly there are different options for colors in external rings, haven't seen that for internal though I might be wrong.

rtuk

« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2024, 03:28:28 PM »
Wheelset won't come with disc lock rings. When you buy rotors, they might come with lock rings. It doesn't matter what type though. The external lockrings need a larger wrench (one used for BBs), the internal lockrings need the same socket as the one you use for tightening the cassette onto freehub. Personally I prefer the larger, external lockrings for their looks but functionally there is no difference. If I remember correctly there are different options for colors in external rings, haven't seen that for internal though I might be wrong.

Great thanks for confirming. I actually have both BB and cassette tools so that's good news.

Do the external lockings normally need more frame to wheel clearance? Asking as they do look bit larger on some pics I've seen
« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 03:30:26 PM by rtuk »

coffeebreak

« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2024, 08:45:11 PM »

Do the external lockings normally need more frame to wheel clearance? Asking as they do look bit larger on some pics I've seen

Yes but not an issue. The wheel end caps extend far beyond the lock ring. If your bike was supposed to have disc brakes, it will have clearance for external lock rings.

rtuk

« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2024, 10:11:53 PM »
Yes but not an issue. The wheel end caps extend far beyond the lock ring. If your bike was supposed to have disc brakes, it will have clearance for external lock rings.
ok ta - ive ordered some discs with external locking included. I'll update once I've installed and ridden with them

Freedomlight

« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2024, 06:10:03 AM »
I bought the ENT Edge 2.0 50mm deep shimano 12s hubs. Took about five weeks to arrive paid an extra £60 for DPD shipping. 500kms in and rides really well. I paired it with GP5000 and TPU ride now tubes. I struggled getting the tyres on, just have no upper arm strength :D

Tracking was provided but only was stuck in germany for abit and suddenly I got an email from DPD that it wuld be delivered the next day.

« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2024, 05:37:23 PM »
Wow, those are looking nice wheels. And beautiful overall build. What's the total weight?

BikerJens

« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2024, 01:02:33 AM »
I bought the ENT Edge 2.0 50mm deep shimano 12s hubs. Took about five weeks to arrive paid an extra £60 for DPD shipping. 500kms in and rides really well. I paired it with GP5000 and TPU ride now tubes. I struggled getting the tyres on, just have no upper arm strength :D

Tracking was provided but only was stuck in germany for abit and suddenly I got an email from DPD that it wuld be delivered the next day.

That is more a GP5000 thing, than the wheel. I'm not sure if I'm getting weaker over the years but those tires are just a pain to get on!
Tall person with gigantic CdA

Serge_K

« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2024, 02:32:48 AM »
That is more a GP5000 thing, than the wheel. I'm not sure if I'm getting weaker over the years but those tires are just a pain to get on!

I changed my 32C rear tyre the other day, gp5000, because it was dying. I hated life for way too long. And broke 4 tyre levers in the process. Good thing I very rarely puncture.
Although to be fair, maybe I'm getting old too :p
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

BikerJens

« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2024, 02:39:32 AM »
I changed my 32C rear tyre the other day, gp5000, because it was dying. I hated life for way too long. And broke 4 tyre levers in the process. Good thing I very rarely puncture.
Although to be fair, maybe I'm getting old too :p

Right?! The last time I mounted them I had to call a friend to help weak ass me to get them on  :o

After that I went away from using them..
Tall person with gigantic CdA

rtuk

« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2024, 04:55:27 AM »
I put GP5000 TR on my Giant hookless rims - only succeeded by the standing on the tyre and levering the wheel away method for the front - but even with that I couldn't get the rear on.

Then I remembered I'd bought one of these - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006287545754.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.381.31ad1802aRxbT4 and tried it - was surprisingly easy in comparison to levers or standing on the tyre.

I'm going to use those hookless wheels for lower pressure off-road only and now have a set of Edge wheels in transit to me - be interesting to see if the GP5000s are any easier to put on the Edge wheels. My guess is probably not, because it's the stiffer TR version that's making it especially tough to do.