Author Topic: TanTan TT-X38 Build  (Read 14483 times)

Sebastian

Re: TanTan TT-X38 Build
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2023, 10:59:54 PM »
Just went and checked - neither are "tight" but the top actually has some small play, whereas the bottom doesn't.

Hmmm what to do.

Loctite 638 retaining compound for bearings is what I would use.

lantz

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2023, 11:27:43 PM »
Good shout.

Won’t be doing any install until more of the stuff shows up haha.

lantz

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2023, 09:43:49 PM »
We're in business.

Just waiting for saddle and wheels (had to change wheel order because the ones i ordered weren't ready to ship, still a 10 day delay) but I have enough to get pretty deep into the build.

lantz

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2023, 12:29:30 AM »
Almost done, with all the things in the photo Is 8 kg
Maybe i'll cut another cm off the fork in future

More and more wishing I had gone withe Sequel because that cockpick is so sleek god damn.

c.etzo

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2023, 02:40:38 AM »
More and more wishing I had gone withe Sequel because that cockpick is so sleek god damn.
i choose sequel for the cockpit!

lantz

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2023, 11:18:59 AM »
Trade ya!

=P

I guess I could just drop another couple bucks and level mine up haha.

Frank

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2023, 04:19:11 AM »
@c.etzo: are you happy with the saddle, is it comfortable or is the 3D printed layer too thin?

c.etzo

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2023, 11:44:29 AM »
@c.etzo: are you happy with the saddle, is it comfortable or is the 3D printed layer too thin?
I've done 20 hours in 2 weeks and it's ok ! Comfortable

lantz

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2023, 11:46:11 AM »

My Ryet 3d printed saddle just landed as well, I won't have wheels to finish the build for another 10 days, but just feeling it out it feels really nice - my partner was like "what the hell, taht's so padded and squishy!"

Haha.

Frank

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2023, 12:31:02 PM »
My Ryet 3d printed saddle just landed as well, I won't have wheels to finish the build for another 10 days, but just feeling it out it feels really nice - my partner was like "what the hell, taht's so padded and squishy!"

Haha.
Which one did you buy?

kubackje

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2023, 02:28:53 PM »
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805684927838.html

X7P-3D

I cannot reccomend this type of 3d print. It is nice at the beginning, but the eats into my contact point.

lantz

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2023, 05:49:45 PM »
I cannot reccomend this type of 3d print. It is nice at the beginning, but the eats into my contact point.

Do you have any alternatives that you'd recommend?

Sebastian

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2023, 01:21:07 PM »
I received my frameset today.
Like I said: I got the DCFR26 frameset from Sequel.
First impression: Some Good. Some Bad.

Everything was very well packed. Nothing to worry about.
The paintjob on the frame is decent enough for the money (580EUR including tax free shipping). A few imperfections but nothing major. Seatpost and Cockpit are painted in glossy black. Also here, the paintjob is not great. If you look close enough you can see that the paint is not a perfectly even surface. But it’s okay.

Brake mounts will most likely have to be faced. Headset bearing seats look okay. Not super clean but good enough. The seat tube has been finished internally and it looks ok. From what I can see, there’s some resin pooling from imperfections in the compaction internally but no huge wrinkles in the carbon. So while the inside is not super clean, again it’s okay.

Bottom bracket threads look good. No problem there.

The fork steerer is alright on the outside but super rough in the inside. It has probably been machined to spec after coming out of the mold. When looking down the steerer, there’s fibers splintering further down the steerer. It looks like a combination of rather dry prepreg - so a lack of resin and sloppy machining. It might not be a problem structurally. But it looks appalling. What’s funny is that at the same time there’s stickers saying “QC Passed” on both the frame and fork. Not sure what their QC standard is. But it is a bit of a joke TBH.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 01:24:14 PM by Sebastian »

Sebastian

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2023, 04:16:02 AM »
Quick update: No headset bearing play unlike what other users here have posted. The bearings sit snug. Not tight. Not loose. The cockpit just barely fits on the steerer. I mean you really have to wrestle it on there.

I did contact the seller about the issue I posted above. The seller insists that the frame has passed QC and that the loose carbon flakes inside the steerer are a non issue. I kind of agree that it is cosmetic. Still, IMO even at this price point this should not be sold like this. I’ve had lots of Chiner forks. Most of them quite cheap. But none of them (except one maybe) looked like this on the inside.

I’m unsure what to do. Start a dispute? Ask Aliexpress for a partial refund?