Author Topic: TanTan TT-X38 Build  (Read 14481 times)

Frank

Re: TanTan TT-X38 Build
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2023, 07:10:06 AM »
I’m unsure what to do. Start a dispute? Ask Aliexpress for a partial refund?
I would start a dispute, it's the only thing we can do to help raise the QC standards...

lantz

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2023, 11:29:05 AM »
Yeah, that's tough - plus if it's not just cosmetic, you won't have much to say when/if something happens.

I kind of wish I had found the Sequel shop ahead of ordering directly from TanTan - the cockpit is better and it sounds like shipping was included for you, which I had to pay separate for.

Some of the QC issues with the TT-X38:

- Small (like, half mm) play in top headset seat.
- Internal routing channels were pretty rough, made routing the thick brake hoses a smidge difficult, but I got it sorted.
- BB interface was pretty gnarly, tbh - had to use a file and clean out some paint in the threads as well as fix a really clear gouge that spanned 3 threads and threatened the seat.

Sebastian

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2023, 01:27:25 PM »
I’m about to cut the steerer down and then I’ll see if there’s any voids that might cause concern. I’m pretty sure it’s just cosmetic. But still, stuff like this shouldn’t pass QC. The seller has offered a small discount after the transaction has been closed for 15 days. Sounds like a scam tactic to me bc then I wouldn’t be able to do anything should they choose to ignore me, right?

Anyway. Apart from that the quality is actually good for the money.
About shipping: No that’s not included. I chose the more expensive shipping method with customs handling included. That usually works best and is the fastest.

lantz

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2023, 02:25:28 PM »
I’m about to cut the steerer down and then I’ll see if there’s any voids that might cause concern. I’m pretty sure it’s just cosmetic. But still, stuff like this shouldn’t pass QC. The seller has offered a small discount after the transaction has been closed for 15 days. Sounds like a scam tactic to me bc then I wouldn’t be able to do anything should they choose to ignore me, right?

Anyway. Apart from that the quality is actually good for the money.
About shipping: No that’s not included. I chose the more expensive shipping method with customs handling included. That usually works best and is the fastest.

Ah that makes sense!

Hope the cut goes well!

lantz

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2023, 10:36:56 PM »
Anyone have a lead on a replacement seat wedge cover? This little flimsy piece of bullshit rubber is obvnoxious.

Not sure what spec the seatpost is? What do I even search for lol.

lantz

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2023, 12:59:28 PM »

V1 is done and rideable.

Haven't had a chance to go out on it yet, hehe.

In like 10 days I'll swap that cockpit out.

Couple of change to the build:

- Ended up going tubeless instead of using TPU tubes.
- Elitewheels couldn't get me the 50s that I ordered in a timely manner, so I just had them swap me for some 47/25 with ceramic bearings *shrug*

Otherwise, everything else is the same!

Sebastian

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2023, 12:23:41 AM »
Nice looking bike.
I think the cockpit does actually look nice.
Still waiting on my wheels to finish the build. Shipping takes awfully long.
I was thinking about how to secure the little piece of RD cable to save it from being pulled by accident. But I found that most ways to secure it with a zip tie actually restrict cable movement too much when the RD tilts.
I think LTWOO should make the plugs shorter in future iterations.

What's the final weight of the full build?

lantz

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2023, 12:37:09 AM »
Pulling the battery housing into the seat post pretty high and just tightening into the port, I’ve found that neither the rear nor front derailleur has much slack outside of what it needs.

The cockpit I’m swapping with is just a fully integrated setup that’s a bit more squared off, I feel like it fits the whole rig better.

18.275 lbs with pedals, bottle cages, saddle and computer.

A bit heavier than I expected but not by much. I’m a big guy, so honestly, 100g here and there isn’t going to change *anything* about my ability to go up a hill, lol.

Sebastian

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2023, 12:48:43 AM »
Did you use the Di2 seatpost battery holder?

lantz

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2023, 10:54:42 AM »
Nope, I used a tip from another poster here and did a single wrap of bubble shipper (literally cut in half a bubble mailer that one of the parts came in lol) and used elecrtical tape to wrap it snug around the body.

Sits nicely in the back of the seatpost.

So nicely that, when I didn't have the seatpost secured and the frame fell off of it while it was in the bike stand (I was holding it, fortunately), the battery *stayed* in the post and the cables unplugged instead of it yanking the battery out.

It works really well - and is lightweight haha.

Frank

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2023, 05:57:26 AM »
V1 is done and rideable.

- Elitewheels couldn't get me the 50s that I ordered in a timely manner, so I just had them swap me for some 47/25 with ceramic bearings *shrug*

Looks really nice! What size is the frame? And how does the saddle feel when you actually sit on it?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 06:12:27 AM by Frank »

lantz

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2023, 01:01:56 AM »
Looks really nice! What size is the frame? And how does the saddle feel when you actually sit on it?

Thanks! 54cm frame and the saddle is solid so far - not as padded as it feels under hand, which makes sense, but comfortable. Still dialing in the fit a smidge so I’ll report back!

Cnasta

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2023, 12:47:43 PM »

V1 is done and rideable.

Sharp looking build! One minor detail: front tire is mounted backwards (rear tire is done right).

lantz

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2023, 05:43:36 PM »
Sharp looking build! One minor detail: front tire is mounted backwards (rear tire is done right).

HAHA I was waiting for someone to flag. I sent this to a buddy who is all about aesthetic and knew it'd be the first thing he said too!

Noticed it after mounting and din't want to peel it off and fuck with sealant and all that nonsense when it doesn't actually have any real impact on slicks other than aesthetic.

I'll probably flip it when I swap my bars since i'll be back in 'get liquid everywhere' mode bleeding out my brakes.

Cnasta

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2023, 02:38:00 AM »
HAHA I was waiting for someone to flag. I sent this to a buddy who is all about aesthetic and knew it'd be the first thing he said too!

Noticed it after mounting and din't want to peel it off and fuck with sealant and all that nonsense when it doesn't actually have any real impact on slicks other than aesthetic.

I'll probably flip it when I swap my bars since i'll be back in 'get liquid everywhere' mode bleeding out my brakes.

I feel your pain :D It's like choosing between two evils. Fucking around with sealant or riding around knowing that some ppl will notice :)

I'll await your next photo :)