Author Topic: Lewis Bike (Trickstuff 2 & 4 piston clones)  (Read 5511 times)

jefflinde

Re: Lewis Bike (Trickstuff 2 & 4 piston clones)
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2023, 01:29:28 PM »
They responded to say that the pads are metallic and this is the shape (see attached image).  I don't know off hand what style pad that is.

The price is $265 shipped to me in the US. They wanted to know if I wanted to be a vendor for them (not at this time).

At that price I would have to have a real hard think about these.  Shimano brakes work so well and while these are light they are not so much lighter than say an xt brake.

Vipassana

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2023, 02:40:21 PM »
At that price I would have to have a real hard think about these.  Shimano brakes work so well and while these are light they are not so much lighter than say an xt brake.

XT F&R set is 574g at ~$225-250
LV2 F&R set is 413g at $265

So ~30% lighter at 10% higher cost.  Seems promising if they can actually perform. And XT/XTR is a high bar to reach in terms of braking performance and, more importantly, reliability.

I have XT on all my bikes and love them. But I was recently toying with the idea of XTR or maybe even TS Piccolas (for no logical reason other than I want light and high performance) so these were compelling.

jefflinde

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2023, 08:29:26 PM »
XT F&R set is 574g at ~$225-250
LV2 F&R set is 413g at $265

So ~30% lighter at 10% higher cost.  Seems promising if they can actually perform. And XT/XTR is a high bar to reach in terms of braking performance and, more importantly, reliability.

I have XT on all my bikes and love them. But I was recently toying with the idea of XTR or maybe even TS Piccolas (for no logical reason other than I want light and high performance) so these were compelling.

Agree with everything. It is just hard to put down that much on untested equipment.  I had m9100's but switched back to 8100's due to the small pad on the 9100's. There is a definite loss of performance going to the smaller pad on the 9100's.  I like that the LV2's seem to use a bigger more XT like pad. 

Does anyone know if there is a US supplier or will they ship direct?  I messaged them but no response yet. 

Vipassana

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2023, 03:23:28 PM »
I did not know about the smaller pad on the XTRs. I rip through the XT pads faster than I would like (though not terrible); I would not like any faster than that.

It doesn't sound like they have a US distributor yet. And I agree, I don't like the idea of putting $265 down on untested equipment.

Flo7

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2023, 02:09:11 AM »
My brakes are ready to ship…

Vipassana

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2023, 03:34:52 PM »
If you end up liking yours, I will order a set of the XC brakes.

Vipassana

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2023, 11:30:29 AM »
My brakes are ready to ship…

Any word? Did you get them?

xXROGXx971

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2023, 01:04:41 PM »
Hello there, this is literally my first post on this forum, but I'vei was a long time lurker; D. So... I actually own a pair of Lewis LV4 4 pistons (Piccola HD copy):D.
I actually got them from Taobao through SuberBuy (Taobao agent) to get them in France (yeah I'm French).
The whole thing took 16 days, 3 days from the seller (the Lewis company I believe) to SuberBuy's Guangdong warehouse and 13 days from them to my mailbox.

So the set costed me 256€ and Superbuy 36€ so less than 300€ in total ;D.
Now the brakes:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 01:38:01 PM by xXROGXx971 »

Wet Noodle

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2023, 01:34:28 PM »
own a pair of Lewis LV4 4 pistons (piccolo HD copy)

They certainly look nice. Could you put the full set on a scale? According to Lewis' claims, they would be roughly 100 g heavier than a current set of PCA HDs (which seems an awful lot).

Did you have to take care of customs stuff or did the brakes arrive just like that?

Sidenote: When I asked Lewis for a quote some days ago, either the prices had gone up quite a bit or they just tell different people different prices willy-nilly (I was given a price (for buying directly from them) that they also list now as RRP on their website).

xXROGXx971

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2023, 01:53:57 PM »
Could you put the full set on a scale?

Did you have to take care of customs stuff or did the brakes arrive just like that?

My work place got a scale so I'll weight them there tomorrow ;D.

Superbuy got a tax free shipping option so I didn't have to pay any tax (declared value of the package was $21). You can pay them to choose the right shipping line and options depending on what you want them to ship.

Vipassana

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2023, 05:36:00 PM »
I'm dying to know how these perform. I will order a set if you can confirm they're not complete junk from a performance standpoint.

nicklej

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2023, 01:39:05 AM »
The more pics i see of these the more tempted I become but also want to know what they're like in the real world. You're pictures really make the all-silver set looks pretty tasty. Keep us posted and weights and performance!

xXROGXx971

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2023, 08:09:05 AM »
Could you put the full set on a scale? According to Lewis' claims, they would be roughly 100 g heavier than a current set of PCA HDs (which seems an awful lot).

I don't trust this scale, but the results are 251g for the rear and 234g for the front.
The brakes were shipped with a bleed block on each caliper, next time I'll weight them with the stock pads + screws.
The hose length is 90cm front and 165cm rear :).

R2-bike's result for comparison:

xXROGXx971

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2023, 08:37:40 AM »
I'm dying to know how these perform.

The more pics i see of these the more tempted I become but also want to know what they're like in the real world. You're pictures really make the all-silver set looks pretty tasty. Keep us posted and weights and performance!

The levers feel amazing... My BL-M8100 levers still works perfectly, but now they feel like garbage in comparison :'(; D. No play in the lever blades either.
Only tried the front brake, but they're very direct, little to no progression.
With an allen key, you can also get the pads closer or further to the disk with the barrel adjuster inside the reach adjuster, and that's the main difference with the Piccola or any other brakes as far as i know.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 05:12:41 PM by xXROGXx971 »

coffeebreak

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2023, 07:01:46 PM »
Didn't see it earlier but looks like now they also road calipers in standard flat mount format.

https://www.lewisbike.com/554.html