Author Topic: Current Wheelset Offerings for Climbing  (Read 2886 times)

andrew

Current Wheelset Offerings for Climbing
« on: October 06, 2023, 04:38:39 PM »
Hello Chinertown!

I've been scouring Ali/eBay for a decently light/shallow, disc, thru-axle wheelset for my climbing build and was wondering if there was any experience here? Is it possible to find a good set for $500ish USD delivered?
My current interests are these:

Are there other brands out there that have been proven in the streets that I may be missing?

WhityWhite

Re: Current Wheelset Offerings for Climbing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 02:03:46 AM »
Wait until 11/11 and then get the Elite Edge for $500.

raisinberry777

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 04:20:20 AM »
Agreed - assuming the Edge is that price again like it was in the last big sale. By far the best lightweight option in that price range.

KvotheTheRaven

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 02:42:59 PM »
I built up a set of 30mm deep wheels for about 400USD. It weighs around 1120g. I can't quite give a verdict yet as I don't have many kilometres on it yet. So if you're willing to source some lesser known parts from ali, you can build something pretty light for pretty cheap.

andrew

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 07:09:27 PM »
I built up a set of 30mm deep wheels for about 400USD. It weighs around 1120g. I can't quite give a verdict yet as I don't have many kilometres on it yet. So if you're willing to source some lesser known parts from ali, you can build something pretty light for pretty cheap.

Did you build them yourself? I haven't made it down that avenue yet, but I'd love to. I started building a diy truing stand a while back. Now might be the time.

KvotheTheRaven

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 07:24:03 PM »

Did you build them yourself? I haven't made it down that avenue yet, but I'd love to. I started building a diy truing stand a while back. Now might be the time.

Yeah, I did build them myself. Probably not as true as can be, since my truing stand is just my bike with zip ties...

andrew

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 07:44:46 PM »
I actually have a damaged wheelset, my own fault, that I purchased from Wing at Carbonda. The hoops are destroyed but the DT350 hubs and spokes are decent. The problem is Wing said the hoops weren't available any more. The other thing is that they are 28 hole hubs and the road rim selection for those appear to be pretty slim. I'd love for these hubs to see more life as they probably only have 10k miles on them. Anyone know of any good 28H hoops that don't cost a fortune to get over?

Sakizashi

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 11:42:07 PM »
I personally have been really interested in the GRO2 wheels / rims from Yuan An Composites. The complete wheels with the RD13 hubs are just outside your budget but at 1450g, 45mm deep and a modern 32mm wide they check a lot of boxes for me as an allrounder.

andrew

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 08:02:39 AM »
I personally have been really interested in the GRO2 wheels / rims from Yuan An Composites. The complete wheels with the RD13 hubs are just outside your budget but at 1450g, 45mm deep and a modern 32mm wide they check a lot of boxes for me as an allrounder.

This is the first I've heard of Yuan An Composites. Do they have a pretty good reputation?

Sakizashi

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2023, 10:37:21 AM »
This is the first I've heard of Yuan An Composites. Do they have a pretty good reputation?

I dont really know their relationship to Elite Wheels in terms of ownership but if you read carefully they are listed as the manufacturer for Elitewheels. Ive been on their email / sales list for a couple of years, but have always sourced rims from LB instead. MOQ varies by model, but GRO2 is currently listed a one set.

These rims are marketed with the similar process specs including the complete removal of the bladders and not needing to use a release agent as the higher end LB rims.

carbonazza

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2023, 02:39:26 PM »

It is a very gratifying experience if you try.
Novatec 711/712 are very light, good and cheap.
Light bicycle can provide you very light rims. Even carbon aero spokes(maybe harder to start with than Pillar or CX-Rays).
So you can end at about 1kg for a wheelset.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2023, 02:27:45 AM »
It is a very gratifying experience if you try.
Novatec 711/712 are very light, good and cheap.
Light bicycle can provide you very light rims. Even carbon aero spokes(maybe harder to start with than Pillar or CX-Rays).
So you can end at about 1kg for a wheelset.

I build almost all of my wheels myself and you can indeed build a set for 350-400 EUR that is 1100-1200gr.
I am having trouble buying the Novatec 411-412 hubs from Ali (seems like every seller uses these as some sort of scam...) and they are too expensive to buy in the EU (>200 EUR).
I have now ordered a set of Goldix R180 hubs to build my next MTB wheelset. I hope they have upgraded the ratchet mechanism because I was hesitant to buy Goldix hubs until now because of all the bad reviews...
You can get the Novatec 791-792 hubs very cheap on ali if you wait for the sales. Than you have a 1200 gr wheelset for a little over 300 eur.

andrew

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2023, 11:06:46 AM »
I build almost all of my wheels myself and you can indeed build a set for 350-400 EUR that is 1100-1200gr.
I am having trouble buying the Novatec 411-412 hubs from Ali (seems like every seller uses these as some sort of scam...) and they are too expensive to buy in the EU (>200 EUR).
I have now ordered a set of Goldix R180 hubs to build my next MTB wheelset. I hope they have upgraded the ratchet mechanism because I was hesitant to buy Goldix hubs until now because of all the bad reviews...
You can get the Novatec 791-792 hubs very cheap on ali if you wait for the sales. Than you have a 1200 gr wheelset for a little over 300 eur.

Which hoops and spokes are you using?
I was looking on Ali for 711/712, but the all seem to be QR. The closest I could find that fit my needs are Novatec D791SB-CL D792SB-CL. $61.36 USD A pair which seems pretty good. Claimed weight 407g

kubackje

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2023, 11:09:35 AM »
Which hoops and spokes are you using?
I was looking on Ali for 711/712, but the all seem to be QR. The closest I could find that fit my needs are Novatec D791SB-CL D792SB-CL. $61.36 USD A pair which seems pretty good. Claimed weight 407g

I have w contact to a company from xiamen who produces wheels for elite wheels. You can get rims, same good hubs or full rims for great price

WhityWhite

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2023, 11:43:27 AM »
I have w contact to a company from xiamen who produces wheels for elite wheels. You can get rims, same good hubs or full rims for great price

And which company is it?  :)