Author Topic: Best and worst overall quality/value components/tools/gear from AliExpress?  (Read 16199 times)

PLA

Any thoughts on RISK vs. Wanyifa bolts? I have had the latter in my cart for while.

My risk one were a consistent vibrant rainbow colour. My wanyifa were less consistent, less vivid and one is basically green (out of 5).
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

Wet Noodle

Do they make these in 26 or 29" for MTB?
Yes to both. The 29er tube is about 60 g. Doesn't hold air quite as well as butyl, other than that no issues so far.

PS: Errr, not sure if they put the alloy valve tubes on the bigger ones as well. I've only seen the "older" type as mtb versions yet.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 08:42:03 PM by Wet Noodle »

Maden

I want to throw out that TPU tubes have one major downside - they are NOT patchable long-term. Despite meticulous cleaning and application, every glueless TPU patch has failed on me after a few days or weeks at best.
Ridenow and Cyclami TPU tubes are still good value, but if you puncture, treat patches a temporary fix to get home and be prepared to throw the tubes out eventually.
I'm cheap and don't like being wasteful, so I switched back to butyl tubes for training rides which I can patch over and over again. I still use TPU tubes for racing and as a spare.

Other Aliexpress items I can definitely recommend:
- $18 2x Carbon bottle cages (Bontrager XXX knockoffs)
- $24 Elita One carbon saddle (the Specialized Power knockoff one)
- $425 Elitewheels carbon rim brake wheels with Powerway R13 hubs and Pillar Wing 20 spokes, 47mm deep and 27mm wide, 1500g. Used for ~3800 miles and no issues except having to retrue each wheel once. No issues braking even on 3000ft+ descents.
- $20 Magene H303 heart rate monitor with chest strap
- $8 2x CYCPLUS Cadence/Speed dual sensors. Yes I got two of them for $8.
- $20-30 Spexcel Jerseys and Bibs

Steer clear from these:
- Kactus Titanium QR skewers. I don't know what Trace Velo was thinking, these are awful. Lots of friction, loose rattling fit on the threads for the nut, extremely sharp edges on the lever that make it impossible to close the lever with any force. Just completely unusable.
- Cheap unbranded stems. The one I got had paint overspray in the clamping areas and screw holes which was a pain to get rid of. The screw holes faces on the faceplate weren't flat and could cause a stress raiser if I torqued the bolts up, so I had to use a faceplate from a different stem I had. Not worth cutting every dollar for an important part of your bike - stick to Kalloy/UNO alloy stems with lots of reviews or western brands.

Wet Noodle

I want to throw out that TPU tubes have one major downside - they are NOT patchable long-term. Despite meticulous cleaning and application, every glueless TPU patch has failed on me after a few days or weeks at best.
No, wait, you're drawing the wrong conclusions here. TPU tubes ARE permanently patchable no problem; you can even cut one to a smaller size and glue the ends back together.

If anything, it may be that you cannot permanently patch them with these instant patches (tbf though, not too long ago, these weren't considered anything more than a temp fix for butyl either ... uh, maybe I'm just really behind the times).

Maden

No, wait, you're drawing the wrong conclusions here. TPU tubes ARE permanently patchable no problem; you can even cut one to a smaller size and glue the ends back together.

If anything, it may be that you cannot permanently patch them with these instant patches (tbf though, not too long ago, these weren't considered anything more than a temp fix for butyl either ... uh, maybe I'm just really behind the times).

You might be right, I've only used the instant patches from Cyclami. Are there patch kits where you bond a permanent patch in the same way as vulcanizing rubber patches for butyl?

I've heard the rubber cement style patches had the same problem of not lasting very long, and Ridenow don't offer them anymore. Perhaps there's an option that I'm missing (I think I saw a suggestion somewhere online to use electrical tape which seems like a bodge...)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 05:55:33 PM by Maden »

Eddy_Twerckx

Warning, fairly long post incoming. I've spent a lot of money on AliExpress over the years. I thought of doing a video like TraceVelo with my top 5 best and worst but I didn't want to just copy him. Anyways, here's a semi-short list of various items over the years. I broke it down into: Awesome, Not So Good, and Meh (kind of in the middle). In no particular order.

Awesome:
- Carbon bottle cages (Carbon Works copy): 7-8g each, cost was around $20 so not super cheap but better than $80 or whatever the real ones cost, and they've been solid. Have to make sure you get the updated version with a perpendicular bottom lip. I have 4 total and love these (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805102025523.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.c81b38daE33I3q&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa)
- Elita One seatposts: I have three on three different bikes and they've all been rock solid and offer a good weight savings
- Black Inc copies (handlebars and full cockpit): really like these, plenty stiff and decent weight. Actually can't find the handlebars any longer which is a shame because I wanted to pick up another pair. The full cockpit is my favorite bar out there
- UNO (Kalloy UNO) stems: probably the best price to weight stem available on the market. Period. Amazing stems, I have like 4 of them in different sizes on various bikes.
- Magene PES P505 power meter and crankset: $300 for a power meter and crankset is crazy good. And they're just as accurate as western brands. Straight swap for Shimano cranks and chainrings, took 15 minutes to make the swap without any issue. Only small problem is inherent in many spider power meters is they don't do well with oval chainrings (read high). But really hard to beat for a budget power meter
- Spexcel long thermal tights: only one ride so far but they're really nice
- Stone oval 1x chainring: nice and solid, looks good and feels well built
- DIY Di2 satellite shifters: probably one of my favorite purchases of all time. They're way cheaper than real shifters, low profile so easily hidden, and you get two buttons for one wire. They've been amazing. Hard to ride without them on my other bikes (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805615867809.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.274cf19c5jJ5OE&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa)
- random aero socks: cost like $4, decent quality, no aero data but they look and feel just like my much more expensive ones
- Sigeyi direct mount derailleur hanger: more expensive but high quality and low weight, lots of colors
- Mixed brand direct mount derailleur hanger: cheaper but only comes in gray
- WestBiking 3D printed saddle: almost put it in the meh category, but it's a decent saddle, just didn't work out becuase the shape of it required a zero setback seatpost to slam it forward enough. But they did get the firmness in the right spots
- Ti bolts: I've bought so many from various companies. All have been good.

Not So Good:
- Tarmac stem computer mount: does its job, little heavy, weird spacing of screw holes makes swapping the actual mount piece impossible
- Alpinist Cockpit copy: good weight at 250g for bar/stem, but insanely flexy and the computer mount rivnut broke on the second ride and you can't use normal round bar mounts
- ZTTO bar tape (Supacaz copy): terrible quality. I bought some pink tape and the whole top layer was gone by the end of my first ride and my gloves were pink. Like it seriously lasted a single ride.
- Spexcel arm warmers: ripped when pulling them on the very first time
- Balugoe 3D printed saddle (Power Mirror copy): really bad quality. The rails were angled in such a way that the nose was pointing upwards at a very steep angle. Could barely get a level saddle position. The firmness of the 3D material was wrong, too. The rear was super soft (like a sponge) that you sunk in and could feel the carbon base, but the front was rock hard and super uncomfortable.
- Darevie jersey: low quality, weird fit (loose in torso but super tight in armpits), corny phrases on sleeves
- TanTan X19 frameset: terrible quality, multiple issues with frame and supplied (and missing) parts. Even worse customer service, threatened to doxx me (my name, home address and phone number) when I put in a claim

Meh:
- OG-EVKIN bar tape (Lizard Skinz copy) - not bad, nothing special but it's decent. Slightly more slippy when wet than real Lizard Skinz
- Ride Now TPU tubes: I went back and forth on whether these should be on the awesome list or not. They're super light and make a great saddle bag backup tube. They're pretty cheap and you can get a bunch in bulk for a great price. But mine have been hit or miss with quality. I bought a 4 pack recently and 2 had holes right out the box. And you can't really test them out prior to use if you want to pack them down small for your bag. So far, I've bought 10 and 3 have holes without ever being ridden.
- Spexcel jerseys: sizing is odd, L was too big and M fit like a toddler's jersey. Just too big of a gap between sizes. Decent quality otherwise just weird sizing for me

Making this list just informed me on how much I've spent to "save money."

Edit: Fixed the link for the Di2 satellite shifters.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 05:12:20 PM by Eddy_Twerckx »

Ludo

awesome link but both links are for the bottle cage ;)

PLA

They're the same bottle cages as trace velo tested right? Think they feel apart pretty quick.
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

Froglover825

I like these little hand pumps that have the hose that screws onto the valve. have them on all my bikes. Seen them with different branding but I have these ones:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mshOo0a
Man, I have one of these and it is so fking bad, the hose leaks air, I had to chuck it out.

Wet Noodle

Are there patch kits where you bond a permanent patch in the same way as vulcanizing rubber patches for butyl?

There are and the process is pretty much the same, just slightly different ingredients. You glue patches of the very same tpu material onto the tube with a solvent-based plastic adhesive like those PVC/PU glues for camping and outdoor stuff. Rema Camplast seems to be what comes with most tpu tire patch kits here. That said, I can't speak to the Ridenow patch kit. I have one ... somewhere, but don't know what kind of glue it contains and have yet to try the kit out.

Now, there are caveats, several in fact. From what different people tell, it may very well be that not all tpu tubes are created equal (as in: playing equally nice with the glue). Then, the pu glue will most likely require more time to dry/set/evaporate (whatever it is it does before there is a substantial bond). And with how flimsy the material is and how it tends to curl on contact with the glue, getting it to stick without any wrinkles and to stay there may require some persuasion. So, yea, the whole process is a bit more involved.

Eddy_Twerckx

awesome link but both links are for the bottle cage ;)

Of course I did. Should be fixed now.

Eddy_Twerckx

They're the same bottle cages as trace velo tested right? Think they feel apart pretty quick.

No. I put the link for the good ones. There are two very similar versions. One is crap. The one I linked is the stronger version. It’s the orientation of the little lip on the bottom. It’s hard to explain over text. The flat edge is rotated 90 degrees to change how the stress is applied.

Good:

Bad:

It’s kind of hard to see. But the bad one is flat against the surface. The good one is perpendicular to the surface. Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 05:25:34 PM by Eddy_Twerckx »

Ludo

Pictures perfect for clarification, thanks

Tijoe

I used a pair of the ultralight Carbon Bottle Cages listed/describe above.   My problem with them is that I tried them on my gravel bike and the bottles kept flying out of the cage. Almost every time I hit a large bump.  (large size water bottles - all I use.)   I put them on my road bike.  One broke after being on the bike about a year.   This was a couple years ago, so perhaps I purchased the older version.

These carbon cages are what I have migrated to.  I have 4 pairs. My gravel bike, and on 3 hardtails.  I have only had one bottle fly out of these cages to date.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805615644137.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.106.10931802ZCdDIj&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa.

My first pair is over 2 years old.  Other sets are around 1 year old.

sbellote

I'm in need of new bottle cages so this interests me much...
do these carbon ones, recommended above, scratch the bottles? My only experience with carbon cages was one of those Bontrager XXX knock-offs, and while it held the bottle well it just left it all scratched, maybe because it was too tight, but I also believe it was a case of rough edges on the carbon.
I moved to Elite Cannibal bottle cages, the nylon one which is already pretty good at <30g each, but the price on these ones right now is just insane, at least here in Brazil.

Another one I was interested is this Xoss N2 one in nylon, seems pretty good price/weight relation