Author Topic: Miracle / MIRA FS822  (Read 1928 times)

Boybiskit

Miracle / MIRA FS822
« on: October 27, 2023, 06:01:55 PM »
My Miracle FS822 arrived this week. I'm excited - it has taken me 6 months to choose, order, cancel, re-choose and re-order the frame for this next build! Interested to know if anyone is using or considering this frame - there's very little about them on the forum here.

It is size L of this frame painted gloss black: http://mira-factory.com/Product/detail/id/43.html.

Frame was chosen because Miracle have been around for a long time, good geometry, good price, good communication. It's also nice to try something a little different. I think this new breed of 120mm cross country frames is one of the most interesting MTB developments at the moment, and I can't wait to try it out.

This is my third Chinese frame build. Others are Airwolf YFM026 hardtail (2.5 years old, no problems); and a Carbonda 1001 (my son's. 18 months old. Gets hammered. Parts frequently break but no problems with frame).

There are a few reasons for this build:
1. A reward to myself for hitting 3.5w/kg when training for this season (although racing didn't happen because of life!).
2. To take over from my old Kona Hei Hei race bike that I really miss!
3. Something that I can use on less extreme trails, but that can handle them when needed. This should be great for marathon races in BC, Canada and for all day rides up in the alpine!
4. To potentially take over from the Airwolf, which I will either sell or convert to singlespeed and fully rigid.
5. I love selecting and building these bikes.

I'm not quite ready to build the FS822 yet - it arrived quicker than expected! This week I have unpacked it, designed decals and ordered wrap.

Build will use:
- Fox 34 Performance Elite 120. Removed from Airwolf and fully serviced with new decals from Slik
- Fox Float SL
- Dartmoor Tomcat rims. DT240 front hub and Shimano XTR rear with Sapim Laser spokes. Not yet built
- Bontrager Raceshop Limited carbon bar/stem combo, TransX 150mm dropper
- Magura MT5s
- Drivetrain from the Airwolf: Deore 12sp with XT shifter and X0 carbon crank / chinese power meter.

Impressions so far:
- Seller was Sally. She has been excellent at answering my detailed and sometimes stupid questions and always responded quickly on Whatsapp. Recommended.
- Frame was in stock. Paint took just over a week. Frame was shipped immediately by UPS and arrived in Canada in 5 days. Frame very well packed.
- I have not checked frame bearings etc yet but first impressions are that this is my best frame yet. Very clean inside the frame. Paint is excellent (1 small blemish that has been touched up on ICSG mount). Seatpost fitted very smoothly.

I have high hopes for this frame from on experience so far. I'll update the thread as I progress and if / when I run into any problems.

Poor pics taken so far are attached!

Patch64

Re: Miracle / MIRA FS822
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 01:28:22 PM »
Nice frame
what was the price?
Thanks

ftajiri

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 03:12:33 PM »
nice frame... is it will fit 2 bottle in downtube like new bmc fourstroke?

Boybiskit

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 11:57:45 PM »
No - just 1 bottle mount.

Built the wheels this evening - 1775g. Not bad for wide, alloy rims!

Boybiskit

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 03:07:03 PM »
Mini update. I picked up the final part (dropper) last night. I was hoping to use the dropper from my Airwolf hardtail but it is stuck - my first time as a victim of alloy post corroding in a carbon frame!

Order of little bits (BB; centerlock / 6 bolt adapters) from ZTTO arrived in less than a week.

Decals and wrap added to frame and cables/ hoses are routed.

Shock is fitted. The hardware was a bit of work. The shock reducers are listed as 8*22mm but the front one did not fit - I filed it down to ~21.7mm and it's in. The BB is fitted - no issues at all with the threads. As I get to know the frame, I am impressed with the quality.

I'm aiming to build the bike this week, and hope to have a 'shakedown' and first proper pics and report this weekend. I'm excited to finally ride it and do the 'big reveal'!

indyphil

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 10:39:52 AM »
I still haven't recieved a reply from Sally at Mira from my first enquiry.  How did you go about buying it?

Boybiskit

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 03:16:45 PM »
I still haven't recieved a reply from Sally at Mira from my first enquiry.  How did you go about buying it?

I emailed Sally and she messaged me on Whatsapp almost right away. My initial enquiry was to info@mira-factory.com.

Boybiskit

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 03:29:34 PM »
Took a break today to put last parts on. All done!

Now to set everything up and do a shakedown ride. Then call some friends and plan a big day out!

What do you all think? Is anyone else using this frame?

ftajiri

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2023, 03:38:14 PM »
nice build... i looking for hours to remember where I see this before...

the answer is: unno horn ...

almost a copycat, except vpp system

Boybiskit

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 05:03:13 PM »
I just looked up the Unno thinking with a VPP there's no way it could look similar, but... umm... yes it does. The Unno is absolutely gorgeous!

Boybiskit

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 06:35:23 PM »
OK. First couple of rides done, so it's time for some first impressions. A reminder that the Miracle FS822 is the same frame as the Lexon Flyer. I am recovering from COVID at the moment so my fitness has all but disappeared. The + side of this is it gives me a good excuse to stop and tweak at every opportunity (rear shock - I am looking at you...)!

First ride... nice pics. But deep down disappointed. A couple of niggles from the build - I didn't like where the bite point on brakes, the chainline wasn't right and... WHAT WAS GOING ON WITH THE SUSPENSION?!  :'(  It was way too soft off the top. It didn't bottom out. It bobbed like mad on the climbs. I was worried that my third Chinese build was going to be the first bad one.

Today, I rode with 2 volume spacers taken out of the shock that has a medium tune (a new Fox Float SL - here it is - https://youtu.be/u-UdqGJoyiY?si=SieY0JbvpUUb7Mzi) and the other niggles fixed. I tweaked it along the way. It is MUCH better.

Summary:
- Don't expect things to be right on the first ride. I knew this already, but I suppose we have to re-learn the same lessons sometimes.

- The whole process of choosing and building one of these frames is awesome. I love these projects!

- Miracle were great to deal with. They struggled with some of the more detailed questions, but they always gave me an answer. They got the measurements wrong for the shock hardware (see above) but... more responsive and knowledgeable than many bike shops. I'm pretty sure measurements are off (and Miracle's don't match Lexon's). I'll try and get around to posting some real world measurements.

- It was shipped and arrived quickly. Faster than I expected - I wasn't ready for it when it arrived.

- It's built into a light-ish bike. It weighs in at about 26.5-27 lbs with pedals and computer. I couldn't go much lighter without spending silly money or compromising the bike's capability. The only significant weight savings I can easily see are in the Brand X dropper and SLX cassette.

- Quality of frame appears good inside. Paint is good. Bearings are good. Everything fitted, and the BB threaded straight in without any problems.

How does it ride?
Now the Fox niggle is sorted... very good! On the ups it's good at getting the power down, especially with the shock in climb mode. In fully open mode it can find grip on some quite loose sections.

My main descent has been down John Deere on Mount Seymour (Vancouver). It wants to rail around corners, drop off (rather than roll) features. It feels quite 'poppy' without the scary feeling you get on old school xc bikes.

There is nothing about it that is life changing or surprising. There is nothing about it that is bad. It just feels like a lively modern bike. It is more nimble than my Scott Genius, but likely not as capable on the steeps. Much of that will be down to set up (e.g. lighter wheels and tires) as well as the frame.

The bike is (I think!) what I set out to build: a capable modern cross country bike that I can race and use for long rides, but that is capable enough to enjoy technical trails. I would love to ride it back-to-back with something like a Transition Spur / Orbea Oiz and also the 120mm Carbonda / Lightcarbons.

federic000

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 03:02:17 AM »
Very nice build and thanks for the report!

Boybiskit

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2023, 11:38:46 PM »
An important detail on this frame that anyone considering it needs to know!

In different places, there are 2 different shock sizes listed (184 and 190 eye to eye). I assumed this was an error. Mira confirmed the 190 length and I fitted a 190 shock. It fitted with some fiddling but wasn't right - and topped out as the rocker hit the seat tube.

I checked in with Mira again and they said I should use a 184 shock. After some conversation, it turns out there are 2 different shock linkages available. I had the wrong one. Mira shipped the correct one at no cost. Fitted easily and everything fits properly.

Mira have been really helpful. If you order this frame, make sure you specify which linkage you need. The listing of 2 sizes is not a mistake! Travel with each shock size is the same (ish! 44mm vs 45mm stroke).

hongbetta

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2024, 01:48:14 AM »
Just checking with you, how is the correct linkage on your bike now?
Are the 2 linkages for 120(R)/120(F) and 120(R)/140(F)?

in your opinion, how you like the geometry to be improve?