Author Topic: Climbing road frame?  (Read 1450 times)

Pallardy

Climbing road frame?
« on: October 30, 2023, 01:30:07 AM »
Hi team,

I've been digging around in this forum, a lot of interesting info! I thought I'd just come out and ask about the following.

Keen to buy a carbon frame to build a lightweight bike for climbing. Here are my specs... I'm looking for a pretty traditional style frame, similar to a 2014-2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO. Rim brake only! QR front & back. I don't really care about wide tyre clearance, I'm happy to run 23/25mm tyres. As for the bottom bracket, no specific requirements apart from the fact that I want something easy to service (BB86?). No integrated nothing, I want to be able to easily source parts and I also want a bike that's easy to build and easy to work on.

The CS-066 from CarbonSpeed looks like it could fit the bill but I was curious to hear about other recommendations from the community.

http://www.xmcarbonspeed.com/Productinfo.asp?f=1272

Keen to hear if anyone has different ideas or feedback!

raisinberry777

Re: Climbing road frame?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2023, 02:06:26 AM »
I'm not sure about your location and local markets, but it's probably worth looking used. A lightweight rim-brake frame from that era is likely to be lighter, better quality, and potentially cheaper, assuming you can find one in the right size.

If you're going to go with a Chinese frame, then a lightweight version of the FM066 (available from various vendors) is the most common pick - very similar to a Cervelo R5. The one you've linked to is one of those (just make sure you're asking for the lightweight version). It's a pretty standard design - there's no particularly unusual parts you'll need to watch out for (though I'd probably get a spare derailleur hanger or two).

numberzero

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 08:11:14 AM »
I agree with buying a used frame or bike from a well known brand.
It's easy find a good rim frame like the supersix evo less than the price of a chiner. And ride quality will be for sure much better.

Maintenance is a non issue for me. I don't know where you ride and how, but i do barely nothing on mine, brake pads once a year, shim bsa bracket is here for years^^

You better think about small stuff like hanger, seat post collar, saddle post... With old rim frames it's sometimes not easy to find replacement if these parts are specific.

coffeebreak

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 09:41:16 AM »
You won't find better climber than SSE bikes from 2012-17 time frame. Plenty of availability on the cheap, proven capability and some colorways are sexy. Derailleur hangers are easily available. The only issue is thin 25mm seat post that's not very common but I doubt it's a frequently needed item. Want even lighter? Get the SSE hi-mod version.

Pallardy

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2023, 01:46:09 PM »
Sorry I should have mentioned, of course that would be my preferred option. However there are two issues:

1. I'm in Australia and the second hand market for Cannondale SSE from those years is not extensive
2. To compound I am looking for a 49 or 50cm frame which is pretty rare.

I'm from Europe and I actually have a lovely Cannondale SS Evo Hi-Mod rim brake that I found on the second hand market for cheap a few years back, it's my bike for when I go back to see family! I don't want to bring it back for now...

I do keep a close eye on the market here for anything that would come up but so far no luck. Am looking at a Merida Reacto EVE 909 this week that looks pretty cool and is priced properly!

Just wanted to get a feel for a chiner option.

coffeebreak

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 02:04:23 PM »
Hmm. I don't think there are super light frames the likes of Fuji SL 1.1 or SSE, that too with rim brakes in Chiner land. If there is such frame indeed, I would be a little wary. I think the Onirii one which is a copy oy Spesh Aethos seems like lightest Chiner frame but with disc brake only. Send them a message and ask if there are plans for rim brake version - even then I don't think its in SL 1.1 region. May be you can shave off grams somewhere else. Though I should ask how much weight are you looking at realistically after the full build? If the frame in the link suffices, check out Velobuild. They do have rim brake frames and probably has the biggest community support here. Guys there are pretty easy to work with and goods are reasonably priced.

raisinberry777

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 02:20:16 AM »
Sorry I should have mentioned, of course that would be my preferred option. However there are two issues:

1. I'm in Australia and the second hand market for Cannondale SSE from those years is not extensive

I'm from Europe and I actually have a lovely Cannondale SS Evo Hi-Mod rim brake that I found on the second hand market for cheap a few years back, it's my bike for when I go back to see family! I don't want to bring it back for now...

I do keep a close eye on the market here for anything that would come up but so far no luck. Am looking at a Merida Reacto EVE 909 this week that looks pretty cool and is priced properly!

Pity about the sizing, that does make it quite a bit more difficult.

If you're not on it already you should join the Bicycle Market group - probably the best way to find a second-hand bike in Australia:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BicycleMarketAU

Its also worth keeping an eye out for a Focus Izalco Max - they're fairly common, the rim-brake variants tend to go very cheaply and they're as light as an SS Evo Hi-Mod. I am selling one myself but unfortunately it would be a little big for you!

Most of the lightweight rim brake frames are all very similar, main options are:
Hong Fu FM008-SL: http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/products/24.html
Velobuild VBR-077: https://www.velobuildmall.com/products/vb-r-077-ultra-light-road-racing-bike-frame-with-light-seatost-toray-t-1000-carbon-fiber-our-lightest-frame-ever
LongTeng LTK118: https://www.ltbikes.com/index/products/view/id/31.html
Workswell WCB-R-256: https://www.workswellbikes.com/endurance/wcb-r-256-v-brake.html

Ahuevos

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 05:37:13 AM »
I compete in triathlon, but I always prefer a climb frame.
The climb frame used with a 50mm wheelset will perform as aero, but an aero frame uphill is very difficult.

Froglover825

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 07:00:01 PM »

They are definitely out there in Australia, I was looking at a weightweenie sse from 2013(?)~ with full 11s sram red that was $1600.
I personally wouldn't trust a lightweight climber frame from the budget chiner brands, you'll notice on most frames they have a lot more carbon than needed which is most likely due to them not trusting their manufacturing process which is fine when you're going for an aero bike but when it comes to climbing it is counterintuitive.

Pallardy

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2023, 04:03:28 AM »
They are definitely out there in Australia, I was looking at a weightweenie sse from 2013(?)~ with full 11s sram red that was $1600.
I personally wouldn't trust a lightweight climber frame from the budget chiner brands, you'll notice on most frames they have a lot more carbon than needed which is most likely due to them not trusting their manufacturing process which is fine when you're going for an aero bike but when it comes to climbing it is counterintuitive.

Again I keep a close eye on the market and not much comes through... I'm in Melbourne by the way.

I have no specific weight target; I'm not looking to go crazy light, it's just that I currently own a SSE from 2017 with disc brakes - I went back to Europe, rode the SSE Hi-Mod rim brake and it was a totally different beast. I know the frame is slightly different and my bike in Europe had more carbon components but man, coming back to my SSE in Melbourne, it feels and handles like a tank. Heavier (probs 9kg), less stiff etc. Will look into VeloBuild I think!

hahel

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2023, 04:44:56 AM »
Anyone dared to take the chance on this frame?
Looks like a aethos clone and with a lot lower weight than the other clone options.
Sold by a Auto-store, not exactly confidence inspiring :)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006020955577.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.72323d80cqss0M&mp=1

BalticSea

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2023, 05:27:45 AM »
I compete in triathlon, but I always prefer a climb frame.
The climb frame used with a 50mm wheelset will perform as aero, but an aero frame uphill is very difficult.

Tell that to Vingegaard, lol.
It's not as simple as that. At low gradients aero will still be faster. Not to mention downhill and flats
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 11:33:15 AM by BalticSea »

Ahuevos

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2023, 03:04:19 PM »
Tell tgat to Vingegaard, lol.
It's not as simple as that. At low gradients aero will still be faster. Not to mention downhill and flats

Sorry, I forgot that I could write some professional cyclist. So as Jonas wears 56 teeth, so do we.
Very good logic

carbonazza

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2023, 10:44:31 AM »
Anyone dared to take the chance on this frame?
Looks like a aethos clone and with a lot lower weight than the other clone options.
Sold by a Auto-store, not exactly confidence inspiring :)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006020955577.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.72323d80cqss0M&mp=1

Anyone saw a kind of Crux already ?

ByAliTR

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2023, 07:03:47 AM »
Hello friends.

I am also looking for a very hard, climbing frame from Chinese manufacturers. Which company's bicycle frames do you think I should prefer?

It should be very hard, I don't care about comfort.

Thank you.