Author Topic: New lightweight frames: Bigrock, Ican, and Onrii  (Read 3840 times)

Sakizashi

New lightweight frames: Bigrock, Ican, and Onrii
« on: November 04, 2023, 10:59:34 PM »
Hi all! There are a few “new” frames that have recently entered the market that take inspiration from the Aethos with a traditional round shapes focusing on lightweight. These also have the bonus of taking a regular round seatpost.

1. BigRock Road frame. More details here https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a21n57.1.0.0.57a8523cZcTH0G&id=722965987747&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail and on the 4th tab here: http://bigrock.cc/ also looks like it will be for sale on Panda Podium in the near future. Pretty nice image of their carbon clear finish here: http://bigrock.rjkf.top/2023-08-27-15-21-04.jpg?imageMogr2/thumbnail/1500x. I am very seriously considering this instead of the 35mm frame options I have found.

Might also be this "Outshone" frame on Alibaba: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2023-Lightest-Weight-650g-same-to_1600860750115.html, though the tire clearance specs are different. Seems to be ~700g depending on size and paint. Visually these look nice from the outside, and I would love to know if this really is the same frame.

Pros:
  • Offers 2 different fork rakes across the size range (47mm and 44mm)
  • T47 BB
  • BigRock version is 32mm tire clearance, unclear if there is any difference in mold or just the specs being communicated differently
  • Weight: 730g for a 54?
  • At the least the Bigrock version is claimed to use a nice mix of m40j and t1000 carbon

Cons:
  • BigRock version isn't cheap, the downtube branding is massive would love it without, though the bare carbon version looks lovely
  • Other vendors aren't known and the brand (Outshone) is hard to find information on

2. Ican FL1. This one seems to only exist in renders for now. (11/10/23) added more information. Link: https://www.icanbikes.com/products/super-light-full-internal-road-disc-brake-frame

Pros:
  • 32mm tire clearance
  • Ican is a known seller who has invested in a global footprint
  • 790g for a size 54
  • Details in the render suggest well thought out FD routing for electronic groups and deeper head tube could be a nice visual design feature as well
  • Video is up on their website and the frame looks good
  • BB86 AND T47 options
  • Listing EN, UCI and Zelder testing as certs. This is different, especially if the latter refers to third party testing being done in Europe

Cons:
  • Would it be greedy to have wanted UDH?
  • Only offers 44mm forks, so geometry of the size 52 and 49 are less than ideal; but larger sizes are great. fork length is 371mm

2. Onrii One. Covered in this thread: https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3832.0.html and including it here for completeness. Also known as the Pinaworks CFR 051 / GR051. Alibaba seller is here: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-Arrival-CRF51-NEW-49cm-52cm_1600949186802.html. Also sold on AliExpress.

Pros:
  • Internal and External Routing available
  • BSA BB

Cons:
  • “Only” 28mm of tire clearance / Updated version seems to have 30mm
  • Single rake at 47mm may make larger sizes ride a bit twitchy. Not a problem for little guys like me but worth a call out
  • Not sure how the weight limit on the Onrii applies to other sellers
  • Seems likely to be above 800g, unless you get the featherweight version
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 10:44:31 AM by Sakizashi »

coffeebreak

Re: New lightweight frames: Bigrock, Ican, and Onrii
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 10:38:59 AM »
Anyone in Seattle, WA USA and want to order one of the Aethos copies but can't because MOQ is 2, count me in I'll take one. Here's one even cheaper -

https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600861204788/2023-Lightest-Weight-690g-same-to.html

I'm guessing no sales tax, but shipping included still be around $350. Never ordered anything from Alibaba though, so I don't know if the prices are deceptive on the product page and go up at actual order time. Anyhoo, we can find out. Send me a DM or something.

jonathanf2

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 11:19:50 AM »
I'm tempted on this frame, but I want to see how the 11.11 sales pan out first. Though I have a couple hesitations. I'm actually faster on my stiffer/heavier aero frame and I feel there is better power transfer compared to my lighter weight TFSA frame which is basically Tarmac SL6 clone. The Aethos geometry is similar to the Tarmac.

So I'm not sure if it's due to the aero frame transferring more power to the pedals or if the PF BB is just more efficient? I'm wondering if this Aethos copy will have the same issues? My aero frame is about 500g heavier, but I feel like pedal power transfer is so much better which does make me faster on the flats and hill climbs.

coffeebreak

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 12:04:12 PM »
Yes. Not aero but I post same average times on my VB gravel frame as I do on my Cannondale SSE2. The VB is full 1.2kg heavier than SSE2. Doesn't seem to make a difference. May be on steep climbs SSE is better. The Aethos will do nothing to my performance I'm pretty sure about that. Just felt like a nice old school frame with simple tubing.

Sakizashi

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 01:07:49 PM »
I think that with all things being equal an aero frame helps, but it’s a really small gain compared to body position / bar width. Should be on the order of a 40mm wheelset vs. a 65mm one. The fork is another thing as well, but either way the aero difference is pretty small. Of course it doesnt help that most frames see very little aero development unless you are shopping the frame models raced in the WT.

To me the advantage of these are more than just weight. The round headtubes with a standard 52mm upper / lower bearing and use of round seatposts should make them easier to live with and replace parts. I think it’s also easier to design frames that limit lateral and torsional flex with round tubes vs. aero shapes, particularly those with cutouts, etc.

Sakizashi

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 08:59:13 PM »
Ican added a video on their site with the actual frame. I think it actually looks really good with that head tube. Screenshots of the bike are also attached here.

Weight updated to 795g for a size 54.

DrDanger

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2023, 11:47:50 PM »
Just pulled the trigger on a Onirii One 56Cm (XL) frame. Newer model with integrated cables and lighter weight carbon lay up. Claimed weight on L with paint 680 grams. Fork uncut w/paint 305 grams. Seatpost 180 grams. $778, with shipping $831. 7-15 day shipping. Looks like Christmas might come early!

Takiyaki

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2023, 01:04:22 PM »
I wish they would vary the design a little bit. Maybe try dropped seatstays or some other differentiator from an Aethos clone. Cool stuff nonetheless and I'm looking forward to builds off these.

jonathanf2

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 01:28:10 PM »
Just pulled the trigger on a Onirii One 56Cm (XL) frame. Newer model with integrated cables and lighter weight carbon lay up. Claimed weight on L with paint 680 grams. Fork uncut w/paint 305 grams. Seatpost 180 grams. $778, with shipping $831. 7-15 day shipping. Looks like Christmas might come early!

Definitely post pictures once you have it built out. I'd also be interested on how the frame handles cable routing especially around the BB area.

jonathanf2

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2023, 10:07:02 PM »
Onirii finally updated their One frame listing with fully integrated cables. They now include the drop bars, but unfortunately they also raised the price.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804515038368.html

jonathanf2

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 06:45:02 PM »
Panda Podium has the Bigrock Sohtea frame in-stock both in Team edition (less weight) and the regular frame. 675g for L and lower for the smaller sized frames.

https://www.pandapodium.cc/product/bigrock-sohtea-team-edition-carbon-road-bike-frameset

Not a fan of the big a** logo though. Part of the Aethos charm is it's low key appearance.

Sakizashi

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2024, 08:02:15 PM »
For the base frame, the going rate seems to be $870USD on sale and just over $1000USD regular price. Definitely compared to the regular price Panda Podium seems to have pretty decent pricing since they include shipping for $1199USD

The Team version though is just over $1200USD so their $1668USD asking price seems comparatively expensive.

That said, looks like a pretty nice frame if you are willing to live with less tire clearance. For weight comparison if the weights are accurate, this Team frame just over 100g heavier than than an S Works Aethos and should be lighter than a regular Aethos. Its designed for internal cable routing too which add a bit of weight. Pretty incredible for the price.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 08:09:29 PM by Sakizashi »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 03:41:49 AM »
Panda Podium has the Bigrock Sohtea frame in-stock both in Team edition (less weight) and the regular frame. 675g for L and lower for the smaller sized frames.

https://www.pandapodium.cc/product/bigrock-sohtea-team-edition-carbon-road-bike-frameset

Not a fan of the big a** logo though. Part of the Aethos charm is it's low key appearance.

Yeah, with that logo it looks like a cheap 400$ Ali frame

RDY

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 07:05:56 AM »
For the base frame, the going rate seems to be $870USD on sale and just over $1000USD regular price. Definitely compared to the regular price Panda Podium seems to have pretty decent pricing since they include shipping for $1199USD

The Team version though is just over $1200USD so their $1668USD asking price seems comparatively expensive.

That said, looks like a pretty nice frame if you are willing to live with less tire clearance. For weight comparison if the weights are accurate, this Team frame just over 100g heavier than than an S Works Aethos and should be lighter than a regular Aethos. Its designed for internal cable routing too which add a bit of weight. Pretty incredible for the price.

Yeah, I dunno about the PandaPodium pricing ... that's a huge difference.

DrDanger

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2024, 11:01:21 PM »
Received my Onirii One XL (56 cm equivalent) frame. It weighed 685 grams minus front derailleur hanger and bolts for water bottles. Fork was 382 grams. I would post scale pictures however I guess since I am very new to posting I don’t have that option yet. Interior finish seems well done. I’ll be waiting ( rather impatiently) for my Avian Canary 400X130 integrated handlebars to be made in delivered for the build out. Hopefully pictures to follow