Author Topic: Magene P505 PES Base Spider Powermeter  (Read 22199 times)

Sebastian

Re: Magene P505 PES Base Spider Powermeter
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2024, 04:13:20 AM »
Hey guys how do you check pm with your indoor trainer, U use Erg for that? When I put my bike on my wahoo kicker in ERG training mode the magene pm shows around 10-15 watts less then kickr - so I need to put power slope in magene app at 105%. When I use it in normal mode then difference is not that big and power slope is around 102%. This is my first power meter and it is strange to me as all the reviews online say that pes p505 pm crankset is spot on. Any ideas what should I do? I did 5 spin backwards before measuring ofcourse.

Spot on compared to what?
You will always get somewhat different readings with different powermeters. You should decide what your baseline powermeter should be and then adjust your other device's power slopes accordingly. That's what I did. My Magene P505 reads less than my Favero Assiomas. I trust the Assiomas more so I adjustet my Magene to match them. My Elite Suito trainer is way off anyway. Since both my road bikes have power meters I don't even bother with the power readings that my trainer delivers.

Serge_K

« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2024, 04:28:24 AM »
fwiw, i never found a material difference between my vector 2s and my elite direto, nor with my elite suito. i didn't want to spend more to get a dual side vector because unless you have a medical history of some kind, coaches report that people are symmetric enough.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

gloscherrybomb

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2024, 06:22:23 AM »
Magene are now saying that the P505 won't work with a T47 (or BB386 evo) bottom bracket.

Does anybody know why? Has anyone tried it? I'm hoping to use one with a T47 BB on a gravel bike (1X).

raisinberry777

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2024, 07:06:42 AM »
Magene are now saying that the P505 won't work with a T47 (or BB386 evo) bottom bracket.

Does anybody know why? Has anyone tried it? I'm hoping to use one with a T47 BB on a gravel bike (1X).

I think that it would be because the spider itself comes back slightly over the BB shell. I think I have read that the XCadey has the same issue as well. This image shows you what I mean:

I expect (though I can't confirm) that it would only cause issues with T47 internal. With T47 external there should be enough space for the spider to come back over the BB cup (whereas on internal that space isn't there). There's some reported issues on Reddit with the Trek Domane and the Trek Emonda of it rubbing against the frame because of that lack of space (note those are both T47 internal).

This is probably only an issue on some BB386 and T47 frames, but out of caution I assume they've said that it's generally not compatible.

gloscherrybomb

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2024, 09:39:29 AM »
Thank you.

Would this simply be solvable with spacers?

My frame is internal T47 and the the PM is on its way, so I'm a little concerned.

hsaus

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2024, 09:51:03 AM »
I think that it would be because the spider itself comes back slightly over the BB shell.

This is probably only an issue on some BB386 and T47 frames, but out of caution I assume they've said that it's generally not compatible.

Yes, I have no issues on my frame with T47 internal BB, but clearance is minimal, so I expect some frames would be problematic: https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4952.msg60729.html#msg60729

gloscherrybomb

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2024, 11:44:07 AM »
I'm running it on a Tideace Noah. It looks like it is relatively bulbous in that area, so I will hold out hope!

Sebastian

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2024, 01:05:07 PM »
I got a T47i BB from Token combined with a SRAM S900 crank and Magene P505. Never even thought about compatibility issues. It’s tight but it’s perfectly alright.

ChrisB

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2024, 08:46:35 AM »

I do use it with a T47BB on my Emonda Clone frame without problems.
The groupset is a Shimano 105Di2 with 2x 50-34 chainrings.
It may also depend on the frame design if it interferes with the PM.

I did have problems with the Sigeyi power meter that was blocking against the T47BB and frame.
So I can not recommend this combination.

BR Chris
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 08:49:39 AM by ChrisB »

renegade1848

« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2024, 12:21:12 PM »
I‘m running one on a Look 765 with T47i and this needed a tiny spacer drive side. No problem since…

Leggett24

« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2024, 04:12:51 PM »

I've got one on my Trek Domane with a Praxis internal T47 BB. There was some frame contact so I put a very thin spacer in and it's been fine. What don't like so much is that the bearing is more exposed than I'd like.

Avalius

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2024, 02:24:56 AM »
Bike nr 3 on this pm now. Best budget powermeter out there :)
"You can't be sad while riding a bicycle."

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2024, 10:04:34 PM »
Thanks for the add - short time lurker, first time poster.

Made my first Chinese purchase about a month ago, a P505.  I had a new to me Aspero that won't get a lot of use, the Stages that came with it was physically broken, and I rec'd a $300 allowance to replace it. I figured this would be a good venture into the budget cycling zone, and am excited to learn more from this board.

I did have two questions:

I figured a second charger to keep in my gear bag would be a good thing to have, I try to keep spares of everything I need often just in case. Given that it is proprietary, I figured proactively obtaining one would be a good idea. I emailed Magene, a month later they replied back telling me that it is $7, $20 to ship, and I also need to pay customs. Is there not an easier way to get one?

It doesn't appear to sync well on BT - only Ant +.  On BT I get a lot of drop outs, however I haven't had any issues on Ant +. When I asked Magene about it they recommended resetting it, which I haven't done yet because the instructions they provided required two chargers to do so. Any experience or feedback on this issue?

kbernstein

« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2024, 01:42:57 AM »
Semi hijacking but does this PM need the onelapfit app like magene head units? Did anyone encounter issues making an account/logging in? So far the experience is pretty trash

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2024, 01:48:48 AM »
I figured a second charger to keep in my gear bag would be a good thing to have, I try to keep spares of everything I need often just in case. Given that it is proprietary, I figured proactively obtaining one would be a good idea. I emailed Magene, a month later they replied back telling me that it is $7, $20 to ship, and I also need to pay customs. Is there not an easier way to get one?

Just look on Ali for another cable. It's the same as a lot of other PM's use. The Sigeyi Axo cable is the same for instance. Should be about 5-7 USD total