Author Topic: Magene P505 PES Base Spider Powermeter  (Read 7710 times)

TidyDinosaur

Re: Magene P505 PES Base Spider Powermeter
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2023, 11:47:03 PM »
Got it! With what crankset do you paid it?
I have ordered a Riro carbon crankset, but it is still in transit.

WhityWhite

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2023, 09:16:23 AM »
I don't think you can use another crank since the crank-powermeter interface is unique . That's why I ordered the separate powermeter with the 3-bolt interface instead, even if it was the same price.

But it is not compatible with a shimano ultegra crank? Or am I on the tube??? It somehow only says something about the chainrings oO

If so which PM would be the right one for an ultegra 12 speed crank?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2023, 09:44:56 AM »
But it is not compatible with a shimano ultegra crank? Or am I on the tube??? It somehow only says something about the chainrings oO

If so which PM would be the right one for an ultegra 12 speed crank?
You can't use a spider based PM on shimano road cranks. You will have to get a left crankarm (4iiii or stages or...) with powermeter. Or replace the entire crank...

WhityWhite

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2023, 10:30:38 AM »
You can't use a spider based PM on shimano road cranks. You will have to get a left crankarm (4iiii or stages or...) with powermeter. Or replace the entire crank...

Thank you!

I'd just hate to swap the ultegra lettering for PES :D

I'm curious when the pedals will be released and which cleats they will be compatible with.

toxin

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2023, 08:25:29 AM »
Just got mine set up yeasterday, there's a little play between the chainrings and the spider, but not in the way that it actually matters. The provided spider mount tool didn't quite fit my bb tool, so i had to cover it with a cloth and grab it with pliers to get the leverage to tighten the mount.

Power numbers seen pretty much dead on with my direto xr after using just auto zero. Chainrings seem to shift well so far.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2023, 05:14:37 AM »
I received the Riro crankset yesterday. I have not have had the time to put it on the bike or test it. The PM does fit as expected

Vipassana

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2023, 02:02:32 PM »
I need a non-Boost fitment for SRAM 3 bolt (0mm offset). What are my options here?

carbonazza

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2023, 09:06:19 AM »
I need a non-Boost fitment for SRAM 3 bolt (0mm offset). What are my options here?

I have a Sigeyi on my MTB. XCadey is another one.
However they continuously increased their prices these last years, and I often see good deals on Quarq ones.

carbonazza

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2023, 09:07:36 AM »
...there's a little play between the chainrings and the spider...
This never goes to the better, you should fix that  ;)

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2023, 09:08:41 AM »

I have installed a chairing to mine on the outside and measured the chainline. It is 48- 49mm. Maybe that can help you choose?
I am going to use it in a 1x configuration.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2023, 10:30:40 AM »
Did my first ride with the P505 this afternoon. No problems with the PM. I did get some new records for 20min power and power/HR, so I guess I will have to calibrate it against my Zwift Hub to dial down the PM...

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2023, 12:38:02 PM »
Well, I was wrong. I compared the P505 to the Zwift hub today and it was spot on. Not even a percent difference.

raisinberry777

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2023, 01:19:50 PM »
Well, I was wrong. I compared the P505 to the Zwift hub today and it was spot on. Not even a percent difference.

Doesn't get much better than that! Slightly OT, but what are your thoughts on the crank so far?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2023, 01:57:04 PM »
Doesn't get much better than that! Slightly OT, but what are your thoughts on the crank so far?

I have only done about 100km, but the cranks are great so far. The only problem seems to be that the axle is quite short. I could not get it to work at first because the bearings of the BB seized up when tightening the bolt. Swapping the BB68 BB to a shimano BB did the trick. It seems the Shimano BB's use 6mm wide bearings instead of the 7mm wide bearings most Ali BB's use.
Today I installed the second Riro crankset on my commuter bike with no problems. It has an older Shimano MTB BB68 bottom bracket.

Edit: I am talking about my experience with the RIRO carbon crankset and NOT the magene crankset. I bought only the PM and paired it with another crankset
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 08:25:53 AM by TidyDinosaur »

eddietheengineer

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2023, 07:33:36 AM »
I've installed my power meter now, I used this bottom bracket: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832835484740.html

and it worked well! The only thing I haven't diagnosed yet is that I have tried to use my Ultegra 11 speed chainrings with the crank, but the spacing between the two chainrings is wide enough that the chain can fall in the middle. I need to take it apart and see if I installed something incorrectly, or maybe the flanges that the chainrings mount to are thicker on the Magene vs. Shimano crank arms?