Author Topic: Magene P505 PES Base Spider Powermeter  (Read 23723 times)

00Garza

Re: Magene P505 PES Base Spider Powermeter
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2024, 11:55:09 AM »
I t looks like mine died today after a little less than 2 years.
I'm in contact with customer support as it still in warranty period....
We will see how mMagene react ....

Keep us updated on this.

Also, just heard back from Magene support on the replacement bolt. Looks like it'll cost me around the same as said earlier in the thread. $30 or so.

kubackje

« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2024, 12:16:34 PM »
If you cannot set this in your watch's sensor settings (like you can with most bike computers), go to the Magene Utility App and set the correct crank arm length there.

A don't see the option of setting the crank lenght in Magene Utility App. Didn't even know that setting in was a thing. What's the purpose?

SillyMochi

« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2024, 01:35:54 PM »
You are right, confused it with my Assiomas. No such thing on the magene. My Garmin doesn't even show crank length in the sensor details for it.

Killeen

« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2024, 05:48:47 AM »
A don't see the option of setting the crank lenght in Magene Utility App. Didn't even know that setting in was a thing. What's the purpose?
Ive the 165mm cranks, but when i view the power meter in my Garmin fenix details it says 172.5mm crank length, so i guess to correct it.

bigwong

« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2024, 07:19:28 AM »
Has anyone noticed anything regarding the L/R balance.  It may be just me, but I'm consistently 56-58% left leg.  Installed April this year.  Have tried to put more power in the right leg, but still no less then 53% left.

toxin

« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2024, 08:01:19 AM »
I wouldn't fully trust balance rradings on it. It's a single point of measurement and the estimation tries to guess which leg is working, but it doesn't actually know. Only way to get a real reading of balance is a two sided power meter. Like pedal or crank pms.

Sminchnz

« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2024, 02:27:13 PM »
Yeah, I’ve wondered about this too - as much as it is guessing which side is producing the power, it’s probably a safe assumption that you aren’t creating much power between six and twelve o’clock on either side (i.e. when your foot is moving backwards and up). If you’re pulling up it’ll confuse the sensor but aside from that…

bigwong

« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2024, 06:48:20 PM »
When standing, I get 50/50.  I'm trying to figure out what the unbalance is coming from.  A friend says one of his legs is a little shorter than the other, so he is also unbalanced. Not as badly as me, but I always thought my legs were the same.  Next bike, I may have to get the favero assioma dual, which isn't cheap, but the cheapest around except for the magene and similar crank based powermeters.
Numbers wise, the magene is in the same ballpark as my stages single side, which shimano kept when they replaced my crankset under warranty.  My only complaint is with the magene chainrings.  I bent the inner ring when I tried to shift down going up a hill, fortunately, only 5 miles into the ride. 
Was able to ride back to the car in the big ring.
I've been charging once a month, not that I've had them die on me.  I'm heading to 3500 miles for the year.

kubackje

« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2024, 12:05:04 AM »
I actually like the balance stats. It helped me adjust the saddle position. For me lowering the saddle made my balance 50/50. When I try new things like shoes, cleat position, saddle I can clearly see changes in L/R and use it to make adjustments

Avalius

« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2024, 01:14:53 AM »
This meter always has higher numbers on my garmin than on TP and Strava. There it's always correct. Am I missing something? lol
"You can't be sad while riding a bicycle."

SillyMochi

« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2024, 01:37:02 AM »
I wouldn't fully trust balance rradings on it. It's a single point of measurement and the estimation tries to guess which leg is working, but it doesn't actually know. Only way to get a real reading of balance is a two sided power meter. Like pedal or crank pms.
Why wouldn't you? The PM always "knows" which crank arm is up or down. So as long as you're not pulling on the pedals - which you really shouldn't do since it's inefficient - it always knows which side is applying how much power.

For me the readings are accurate. Usually 50/50 with an occasional up to +/-2 spread which seems normal.

« Reply #131 on: October 03, 2024, 10:00:53 AM »
Why wouldn't you? The PM always "knows" which crank arm is up or down. So as long as you're not pulling on the pedals - which you really shouldn't do since it's inefficient - it always knows which side is applying how much power.

For me the readings are accurate. Usually 50/50 with an occasional up to +/-2 spread which seems normal.

No it's actually a lot more complicated than that and it's also a reason why other single sided PM brands/models don't offer L/R balance. The PM only knows if one side is putting power or not, that's it. To conclude that the other side is always putting exactly the same power skews the L/R stats. If you buy the assioma UNO (which is pretty much the golden standard for PM accuracy) you'll notice they don't provide L/R balance for that reason, because it's not possible to get accurate data. That's also why in the assioma app you can specify a L/R power balance if you know you're always outputting 45/55 for instance. This way the uno won't simply *double* your power but will use this ratio.

Think about it this way, with your logic you could be doing one-legged workout (where you only have one leg clipped in) and the single side power meter would think you're applying power on the other side when you don't even have a foot clipped on the other side. Single side powermeter will never be accurate for L/R balance because it can only tell if one side is putting power or not.

I've had assioma duos. During high intensity workouts/sprints it's very common to get an imbalance on the power because people tend to have a stronger leg/side.

toxin

« Reply #132 on: October 03, 2024, 10:30:18 AM »

Well not only are your power phases not perfect semi circles, different people and different positions means everybody varies in the distribuiton of power output across the pedal stroke. It's simply not possible to make an algorithm that would account for every variable

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2024, 05:14:07 AM »
Today I swapped my Ultegra crankset with a carbon RiRo crankset with a P505 PM. I re-used the Ultegra chainrings.

jonathanf2

« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2024, 11:10:02 AM »
Today I swapped my Ultegra crankset with a carbon RiRo crankset with a P505 PM. I re-used the Ultegra chainrings.

Did you need any spacer to get an accurate alignment with the PM spider? I'm probably going to do the same as you with the Riro/Racework crankset.