Author Topic: 1st time builder - frame checks  (Read 814 times)

Ludo

1st time builder - frame checks
« on: November 12, 2023, 09:26:06 AM »
Just ordered my first frame, from SP cycle. I have been reading a lot of thread but thought maybe I could get some help in getting everything in one place for future rookies like me.
The topic is what to ask supplier to check/document with pics prior to shipping, what to check upon arrival.

Pre shipment checks, ask for picture of:
-head tube and bottom bracket mating surfaces, check for no paint and general smoothness
-rear caliper mating surfaces,  check for paint, flatteness of mounts

Upon receiving:
Record (pictures/video) condition of box on arrival, unboxing and inspection for supporting evidence when receiving the frame
Check above again
Check BB shell for roundness and accuracy to spec
Check headset cups for integrity (no cracks…)

Anything else? What are you experience guys do?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 08:22:04 PM by Ludo »

ChinaCruz

Re: 1st time builder - frame checks
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 10:59:41 AM »
Check press fit bb shells with calipers and make sure its in spec. Check headset cups for structural integrity.

jonathanf2

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 11:42:11 AM »
Just ordered my first frame, from SP cycle. I have been reading a lot of thread but thought maybe I could get some help in getting everything in one place for future rookies like me.
The topic is what to ask supplier to check/document with pics prior to shipping, what to check upon arrival.

Pre shipment checks, ask for picture of:
-head tube and bottom bracket mating surfaces, check for no paint and general smoothness
-rear caliper mating surfaces,  check for paint, flatteness of mounts

Upon receiving:
Check above again

Anything else? What are you experience guys do?

Make sure to record video of the unboxing just in case of damage. You have a narrow window before you can file any damage claims with AliExpress. It's good to cover your bases. I've ordered from SP Cycle before. Their packaging was excellent and shipping was quite fast. It took 14 days from order-to-arrival at my doorstep. Frame was decent with a few rough patches. The paint/gloss coat is a bit weak (scratches easily) and they didn't bother with any internal plastic guide tubes, though the bike was easy to route. I also had issues trying to insert the brake hose through the fork lower hole. I had to sand it a bit and then I re-applied enamel to the hole area for added protection.

Once the bike was built up, it's been rock solid. In fact it's the fastest bike I own based on ride data compared to my other carbon frames. For the price I paid and quick shipping, I'd buy from them again.

Ludo

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 08:22:39 PM »
Thanks guys, comments added to 1st post.

Ar26

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 02:52:56 AM »
Basic advice: when I see the packaging box with a hole, for example. I open the package in front of the carrier for inspection because then it becomes difficult, in the event of a dispute, to be heard.

PLA

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 06:51:19 AM »
Check press fit bb shells with calipers and make sure its in spec.

callipers won't be accurate enough to tell if it's out of spec unless it's out by a few football fields
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

Ludo

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 07:53:51 AM »
how would you check then?

dsveddy

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 11:44:24 AM »
callipers won't be accurate enough to tell if it's out of spec unless it's out by a few football fields

Many such cases, unfortunately.

Nothing to lose with using a caliper to screen for these worst-case scenarios. I myself used a caliper to assess my lightcarbon frame, and it helped me decide to apply some sandpaper to the cups just so I could get a BB in, since the cups on my frame were undersized by as much as 0.5mm

Chiyou

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 07:08:05 PM »
how would you check then?

A multi-contact bore gauge would be ideal but these cost as much as the average Chinese frame. The analog methods mentioned in the video are fiddly but more affordable. Lastly, a go/no-go gauge block is a relatively simple way of making sure your (pressfit) bottom bracket shell is sized correctly.

paldo

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2023, 02:11:18 PM »
Which frame did you get?

Ludo