Author Topic: Super Boost Wheel Sets  (Read 641 times)

RobertRinAustin

Super Boost Wheel Sets
« on: November 15, 2023, 09:03:17 PM »
Tried the search function but didn't come up with anything. Short version, need a set of SB wheels.

Long version, taking my AM831 components and moving them to an Evil Offering frame I just bought. I know I need new wheels since the Evil is super boost. What else do I need? Cranks?

Tijoe

Re: Super Boost Wheel Sets
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 10:01:01 PM »
Super Boost.  The standard that never gained traction.   Over a year ago, I had a couple of custom Super Boost Titanium frames built by Waltly with a 83mm Bottom bracket.
The most difficult part was finding affordable 157mm SB rear hubs.   I was never able to source a wheelset from Aliexpress.   Aliexpress manufactures/stores are actually very conservative regarding the parts and frames they manufacture and tend to be a few years behind new standards.  I wrote manufacturers of hubs via Alibaba and they quoted me to custom build 157mm rear hubs, but starting in lots of 50.  I gave up and built my own rear wheels using Shimano MicroSpline XT 157mm rear hubs.   

SHIMANO XT FH-M8130-B  and M7130 hubs can still be sourced at a reasonable price.  $90 to $110 price range.   There are other online stores selling a lot more expensive high end super boost hubs/wheels, but heck if I wanted to pay their asking prices.

I recommend ordering a front wheel you like from Aliexpress, a matching rims, and perhaps spokes, find an affordable hub online, and either build the wheel yourself or have a local wheel builder build up your wheel.

Tijoe

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 10:06:09 PM »
Another thing to consider.   The original 157mm hub standard has been around for a long time for Downhill bikes.  These older hubs are often HG drives or Earlier SRAM, before 11 and 12 speed cassettes became standard.  these hubs often have more inboard spoke flanges, with larger offset from center of the hub, than the Super Boost standard that came out around 2018.

Tijoe

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 10:42:40 PM »
You asked about what else you might need.  Super boost  chainline should be 55-56.5.  If you have a true Super Boost frame, you will need to measure the bottom bracket and see if it is 73, 83, or wider, and either reconfigure your cranks with a longer axle, or if your old cranks have a fixed axle, purchase a set of cranks that fit your bottom bracket. 
I ended up liking Race Face Cinch cranks because you can purchase different length axles and bottom brackets, plus they publish a good technical data sheet that show compatibility of frame bottom brackets, chainlines and axle lengths.

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 12:53:03 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the help.

Tijoe

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 10:44:25 AM »
Here you go.  Fantastic price if you are into the SRAM XD.

https://planetcyclery.com/dt-swiss-xm1700-spline-29-wheelset

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 12:26:10 AM »
Here you go.  Fantastic price if you are into the SRAM XD.

https://planetcyclery.com/dt-swiss-xm1700-spline-29-wheelset
Screaming deal. Thanks,  just ordered.

Picked up e13 TRS Race carbon cranks in Super Boost for $176.

I think I have everything else.