Author Topic: Carbonda CFR707 or BXT 135 ? Gravel/Road Bike  (Read 1024 times)

Steve42

Carbonda CFR707 or BXT 135 ? Gravel/Road Bike
« on: November 22, 2023, 02:56:23 PM »
Hey Guys,

I need some help for my decision.

I want to build a carbon gravel/road bike. I will use a LTWOO GRT (1×12s) with a Magene P505 Power Meter crank combi.

So: Should I go cheap and buy the BXT 135 on Ali with the sale tomorrow, or should I go for more quality with the Carbonda CFR707. It's like 400$ vs. 800$...

I want fully internal cable routing, so this is a must. Maybe you have some other ideas?

Last build was a Tsunami GR02, but not to happy with it due to heavy frame flex when putting down power. I am 183cm and 90kg.

Thanks in advance!

numberzero

Re: Carbonda CFR707 or BXT 135 ? Gravel/Road Bike
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 03:15:42 AM »
From what i read bxt is not the best quality around. Carbonda is much better on this point with probably a better customer service.

I don't really know about ride quality of these frames, but i doubt you will find a big difference, they are chiners without more engineering than it's okay frame don't break^^
Especially in gravel where tyres and contact points makes the big difference.

Geometries are similar so the choice is do you need 400$ difference to spent in better components?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 05:22:36 AM by numberzero »

Steve42

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 05:16:23 AM »
They look pretty similar, and the Geo also looks comparable.

The Carbonda comes with Seatpost and handlebars + all the accesories to mount these, and I am sure that everything will fit together. Price would be around 900$ with my chosen color.
The BXT comes without these accessories and parts, so I would have to spend at least another 200$ to get the same, and could run into troubles making everthing fit together. So I would end up at atleast 650$ here, which is not that big of a difference.

I will get the Carbonda with chosen color, I think I will be more happy with this, even if it is more expensive.

Does anyone know, if Carbonda ever has something like a sale sometimes? As right now ICAN, Elitewheels etc. are all giving discounts.

c74

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 11:00:35 AM »
Good choice. I'm currently riding a 707.
Production quality is ok/good, however some paint overspray and headset bearing seats are not super smooth, but that is to be expected.
I faced the BSA BB to get that alignment perfect, and the amount of shavings was equal or even less than it's stable mate that has a S-WORKS logo on the frame.

So, given the bike value for the price of a 707 is a bargain itself.

jannmayer

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 12:39:14 AM »
I can also vouch for the CFR707 quality. No issues building mine up. If I were doing it again, I would go with this frame again.

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 05:26:53 AM »
Did you consider the new version of the popular CFR-505 ?
I prefer its thinner tubes compared to others, and with appropriate wheels on it, it can look like a road bike too.
It has a bit more tire clearance, the UDH and T47 BB and lighter than its predecessor.

Steve42

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 09:37:30 AM »
Thanks for your help to all!

I just had a look at the CFR505, and it does not have internal cable routing, and max rotor size is 160mm.
Is it the new version of the CFR696?

So I will stick with the CFR707 in 'British racing green' for now, I guess :)

Pedaldancer

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 09:51:19 AM »
Thanks for your help to all!

I just had a look at the CFR505, and it does not have internal cable routing, and max rotor size is 160mm.
Is it the new version of the CFR696?

So I will stick with the CFR707 in 'British racing green' for now, I guess :)

Google about 505SL . This has internal routing. Carbonda is somehow nur updating their webpage about the 505.
There is also a thread here about the 505 SL.

Steve42

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 01:14:34 PM »
Ok I found some pictures and Infos. Looks really nice, but has no mounting points at the rear. I am planning to build a slingfing copy for bikepacking, so I need some mounting points. But still thanks for the heads up! :)

Now I am unsure if I am going with the CBG02 handlebar, which is a gravel style handlebar and has flare, or with the CHB1036 handlebar, which is a classic road handlebar. Riding profile would be 75% road, 25% gravel. Never tried handlebar with flare... Any recommendations?

acedeuce802

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 04:07:34 PM »
The CBG02 handlebar is a pretty mild flare.  I started riding gravel on a 20deg flare, then went down to 12 deg flare, and I think the CBG02 is like 6deg.  It barely feels flared to me, enough to have a bit more wrist comfort in the drops, have a bit more narrow aero position in the hoods, and I like the hoods flared in a bit.  It feels weird to me to ride my friends bikes with straight road bars.  But it is a personal preference, I know some people who don't like flare.