Author Topic: Eddie's Airwolf YFR066 Build Thread  (Read 8402 times)

eddietheengineer

Eddie's Airwolf YFR066 Build Thread
« on: November 22, 2023, 09:22:01 PM »
Hello everyone and happy thanksgiving to the US folks!

I wanted to create a build thread for my Airwolf YFR066 to document my experience with the frameset, as well as all the rest of the Aliexpress deals I have gotten over 11.11 sales (and soon to be black friday sales).

Overall goals:
-Less aggressive geometry (my current bike I don't have steerer tube left and I need a >17 degree stem to get the handlebars up enough)
-Space for larger tires (25c barely fits with my current frame, 28-32C is ideal with room to grow)
-hydraulic disc brakes
-full carbon ~50mm wheels with wide rim width, tubeless compatible
-newer groupset with at least 11 speed
-Compact/semi compact crank with shorter crank arms (and power meter)
-Similar weight or lighter than my current ~2010 era road bike (~18 lbs)
-As many random Aliexpress orders as I can get  :)

Here's a link to a Google Sheets with parts list and Aliexpress links: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y6uIFHe2vutMn3ikGuVbpPe8hX08V3uloqBeOdkRBoc/edit?usp=sharing

I've also attached a screenshot of the document to this post as a reference.

Quick overview:
-Airwolf YFR066 frame without integrated cockpit
-Elitewheels Edge 50mm wheels
-OG-Evkin stem/handlebar
-Shimano Ultegra 11 speed hydraulic disc groupset
-Magene P505 power meter
-GP5000 ~30c tires

Currently rolling up in the 16-17lb range.

Received so far:
-OG-Evkin handlebar
-Shimano Ultegra groupset
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 09:23:52 PM by eddietheengineer »

eekden

Re: Eddie's Airwolf YFR066 Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 02:17:49 PM »
Super excited to see this build. I also ordered the YFR066 (though I chose painted w/ integrated cockpit) during 11.11 sale for ~$515 inc taxes. Can't wait for your updates.

eddietheengineer

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 02:53:02 PM »
Small update--I ended up getting some more odds and ends during Black Friday:

-Magene P505 power meter (will use my Shimano Ultegra chainrings)
-Brake bleed kit
-Internal housing foam/damper
-Brake hose cutting tool
-ExAid ultralight bottle cages
-OG-EVKIN bar tape

Nearly everything has shown up so far except the frame and power meter (was a pre-buy--shipped yesterday). The frame is still stuck in paint I think--it's taken way longer than I expected to get everything through.

Weights:
-Shimano 160mm rotor - 117g w/ lockring
-Shimano 140mm rotor - 98g w/ lockring
-Elitewheels Front - 635g
-Elitewheels Rear - 731g
-Ultegra cassette - 244g

sbellote

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 06:44:43 AM »
Been running that same combination of OG-Evkin bars+stem for >2yrs now. Very nice finishing, very nice riding too, although I don't have much experience with other bars/stems...
Only issue I had was with internal routing through the bars, lines seem too tight and couldn't make it work, so I ended up routing through the outside anyway, doesn't make that much of a difference

dinorello

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 11:37:07 AM »
Mechanically is doesn't but esthetically it's worth all the frustration of internally routing through the bars

eddietheengineer

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 07:04:28 PM »
I ordered tubeless valve stems since the wheels didn't come with any--and promptly ordered the wrong size. I had selected 80mm, but then picked a different color and it auto selected 60mm instead  :D so I had to order another set. They arrived today, so I was finally able to install the tires!

I used the included rim tape from the Elitewheels box--I was debating one or two wraps, but after one wrap on one wheel it looked like there was definitely not enough for two wraps, so I stuck with about 1 1/4 for each wheel.

I was really worried installing the GP5000s since I've heard so many nightmares with tubeless tires on road bikes, but I was able to get them installed by hand. One thing that helped was getting the tire to "straddle" the rim for the first bead so it didn't want to pop off so much.

I was also able to seat the whole rim with a floor pump as well. I didn't put in sealant yet, but pumped up to ~70psi, which is close to the max recommended for 30c tires on these rims. I was surprised that even with the 30c tires, they didn't overlap the external width of the rim too much.

As far as other parts--frame still hasn't shipped, though the last communication I had a few days ago was that it was possibly in paint. There's a few days remaining in the (extended) shipping time, so hopefully I'll see movement yet. At this rate even the power meter will beat the frame here!

eddietheengineer

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 08:13:41 AM »
Update on Airwolf fiasco, I've repeatedly tried to get info from Airwolf on when my frame will get shipped but other than one message "I'm asking the paint factory" I haven't heard anything from them. Today, I asked if the frame was going to ship before the ship time ran out, and they didn't message me back, but marked the frame as "shipped" with no tracking number. Suffice to say, this isn't very confidence inspiring. I'm 35 days into this order--I've definitely given them the benefit of the doubt, but this feels fishy to me.

Hopefully they will update with a tracking number early next week.

chineesje

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 09:14:10 AM »
I'm in the same situation as you but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I ordered on 11.11 (yfr68 frame painted) as well so I think they just had a massive increase in orders (at least that's what I hope). Also, when ordering, Ali gave me an estimated delivery date of 30/01 so I'm not worrying too much as of now.

eddietheengineer

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 10:22:21 AM »
That's helpful context! Mine had an estimated delivery date of 12/2 which seemed unrealistic :D

I really want this order to go through--I really like the YFR066 frame (geometry, specs, etc) and I paid a great price for it, I'm just looking forward to building up my bike :)

chineesje

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 10:47:35 AM »
I asked them once again, will keep you posted if I get an answer (probably after the weekend).

eddietheengineer

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2023, 07:48:59 AM »
They updated it with a number that looks like a tracking number but has no info yet. I'll be curious how long the shipment takes  :)

eekden

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2023, 01:03:34 PM »
Also waiting on my YFR066 from the 11/11 sale (albeit my order was on 11/13 due aliexpress issues). Its marked as shipped on 12/06 but no tracking code. Nice to see theres a community of us waiting on airwolf lol.

zilcho

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2023, 01:59:35 PM »
Ordered on 11.28, estimated delivery of 12.19
On 12.4 I was told it needed 10 days, on 12.14 was told they would check with the factory
I'm guessing mid January

chineesje

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2023, 01:36:47 AM »
Got an answer this morning: 'I have arranged for a logistics provider to transport the goods '. Guess that means it will be shipped soon, we'll see  ;D

eddietheengineer

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2023, 05:39:18 AM »
My tracking number got updated to a UPS tracking number, so hopefully that means it will arrive a bit faster than the standard 2 weeks