Author Topic: Eddie's Airwolf YFR066 Build Thread  (Read 8399 times)

Ar26

Re: Eddie's Airwolf YFR066 Build Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2023, 12:29:49 PM »
100%, at this point the bike is going to just sit there until I can find a shim and get the motivation to spend a few hours undoing and redoing everything

I have an Elves Vanyar which has a low head tube (120 mm). I am 178 cm tall. Rather than adding spacers under the handlebars, I opted for very few spacers with a 0° stem (Easton) and not -6 or -10 as is often the case.

eddietheengineer

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2023, 04:25:53 PM »
Progress update!

Airwolf messaged back and asked for a photo of the assembled bike and I sent them an image this morning--not much there yet. I've tried the following:

Removed the top cap (shown in the image), so the headset spacers contact the 3/4 diameter "doughnut" that seats in the bearing. This 100% removed any chance of interference. I put my old aluminum stem and handlebar on the frame and tried pressing down on the handlebars to compare against my current bike. While the frame still deflected some, it wasn't nearly as bad as it was, and it was roughly similar to my current bike! This is good news, if I can get the interference solved then it's maybe salvageable.

Second test--tried to put a thin shim between the top cap and the "doughnut". This didn't work with any of the shims I had since the outer diameter is too large--it contacts the housings passing through the top cap and I can't compress everything together.

Obviously the tolerance stackup of their heatset cup placement isn't great. I've sent a quick message to them telling them that it is rubbing and contacting and to ask them what to do--I have some hacky ideas I could possibly do myself, but I'd rather them tell me what to do since it's their issue.

eddietheengineer

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2024, 01:21:15 PM »
Another update--FSA no.69 headset came in today! I tried swapping everything out (including the fork headset race), but that didn't work. Using the Airwolf fork headset race, with everything else from the FSA headset works great!

I'll be doing everything hopefully for the final time today--cutting the steerer tube, routing the cables through the handlebar, and bleeding brakes/adjusting derailleurs.

patliean1

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2024, 02:02:02 PM »
Another update--FSA no.69 headset came in today! I tried swapping everything out (including the fork headset race), but that didn't work. Using the Airwolf fork headset race, with everything else from the FSA headset works great!

Fast shipping! I'm happy the FSA no.69 worked out for you. It's such a game changer. I keep multiple spares of that headset around just in case LoL.

eekden

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2024, 08:07:42 PM »
Should I snag a FSA headset preemptively for my 066 build?

eddietheengineer

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2024, 08:17:46 PM »
Fast shipping! I'm happy the FSA no.69 worked out for you. It's such a game changer. I keep multiple spares of that headset around just in case LoL.

Thanks for the tip! I ended up using the stock lower headset bearings and race, and then the FSA top bearing assembly--it felt like the combination of the FSA lower bearing and stock bearing race was wobbling just a bit so I was conservative there.

I like how the FSA headset cap is matte black and matches the frame!

Tonight I got all the way to where I could ride it again--except with just the front brake bled since I was running out of time. The front end is definitely soft, but not like it was before. It'll be a nice comfortable ride, and I know I can make it a bit stiffer if I swap out the handlebars. Oh--and this time redoing the internal handlebar routing I had a routing kit. I would have saved so much time......

I won't be able to ride this week, but my hope is Saturday or Sunday I can bleed the rear brake and do some minor tuning, and then go on a ride around the neighborhood!

Should I snag a FSA headset preemptively for my 066 build?

I'd defer to Patrick, but if I had to make a guess--if he had an issue with it and then I had the same issue, you're probably going to run into a similar problem (at least if you didn't get the integrated handlebar). I'm not sure if the integrated handlebar top assembly solves some of that
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 08:21:16 PM by eddietheengineer »

eekden

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2024, 11:53:56 AM »
I did get the integrated handlebar, guess we will see if I need it! Did you get any grommets for the cable exits or should I order some? Trying to make sure I have all the causes of possible noises taken care of, as well as better waterproofing since I’m in Seattle. Also, my order is finally in the states but it’s been sitting in LA customs for a couple days. Hope it shows up soon.

eddietheengineer

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2024, 10:55:06 AM »
I did get the integrated handlebar, guess we will see if I need it! Did you get any grommets for the cable exits or should I order some? Trying to make sure I have all the causes of possible noises taken care of, as well as better waterproofing since I’m in Seattle. Also, my order is finally in the states but it’s been sitting in LA customs for a couple days. Hope it shows up soon.

I didn't get any grommets for the cable exits, but I did use the foam "sleeving" to go around the internal cable routing specifically from the head tube area, down through the down tube, and all the way to the point where the chain stays neck down. I had rattles with my previous bike without those, so I spent the extra few dollars to pick up some of those from Aliexpress.

I'll be really curious what you think about the integrated handlebar! Depending on how things go with my bike and if I settle on a fit, I may go back and try to buy that depending on your experience.

eekden

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2024, 06:40:01 PM »
Just received my bike, had 30 minutes so decided to checkout the headset and the one it comes with is absolutely shit. It's plastic and the spacers are cheap plastic too and fairly poorly manufactured where they don't sit perfectly on each other. The photo from the site makes them look like they're not plastic, but these are quiet crappy.

eddietheengineer

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2024, 09:06:23 AM »
Just received my bike, had 30 minutes so decided to checkout the headset and the one it comes with is absolutely shit. It's plastic and the spacers are cheap plastic too and fairly poorly manufactured where they don't sit perfectly on each other. The photo from the site makes them look like they're not plastic, but these are quiet crappy.

That's really disappointing, do you think you'll have to try out a different headset/fork? Or will you be able to make it work?

I did my first ride on Thursday around the neighborhood, and other than tightening a few bolts everything worked okay. I need to work on fit some more, my Velofit seemed to put the seat too far down and with my 165mm cranks it just felt like my legs were "compressed" and I couldn't really get much power out. I did notice that if I brake hard, the fork does "chatter" some front/back, but I haven't ever had a disc road bike so that may be normal?

Overall, I really like the Ultegra mechanical groupset, shifting has been reliable and smooth even with the internal cable routing.

jeffrey

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2024, 09:48:33 AM »
Cool! I've been following this thread with the greatest interest, as that bike is pretty much all in my Aliexpress cart (airwolf frame, Magene power meter, Elite wheels)
I even put that same saddle on my Triban today

All in all, as of today, would you advise to buy or to look for something else?

eddietheengineer

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2024, 02:34:38 PM »
Cool! I've been following this thread with the greatest interest, as that bike is pretty much all in my Aliexpress cart (airwolf frame, Magene power meter, Elite wheels)

If I could redo--I would not buy the Airwolf frame, but I would get something like the Carbonda CFR1056. I realize that frame only goes up to 32c instead of 38c tires, but the frame/fork/etc quality from Airwolf has been really disappointing. I'll try my best to not think about how I wish I had spent the extra on a higher quality frame, but I wouldn't wish my experience on someone else. In general this frame/fork is not very confidence inspiring.

Otherwise--I would also not get this specific handlebar or stem. The stem barely fit on the steerer tube (I had to use a flat screwdriver to pry the clamp open a bit to get it to fit), and the handlebar is not as stiff as the others I've used.

Wheels, groups, seat, power meter, tires--all of those I've been happy with!

eekden

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2024, 11:06:41 PM »
That's really disappointing, do you think you'll have to try out a different headset/fork? Or will you be able to make it work?

I did my first ride on Thursday around the neighborhood, and other than tightening a few bolts everything worked okay. I need to work on fit some more, my Velofit seemed to put the seat too far down and with my 165mm cranks it just felt like my legs were "compressed" and I couldn't really get much power out. I did notice that if I brake hard, the fork does "chatter" some front/back, but I haven't ever had a disc road bike so that may be normal?

Overall, I really like the Ultegra mechanical groupset, shifting has been reliable and smooth even with the internal cable routing.

Your bike looks great, so at least you have that going for you!

For the fork and integrated handlebars, I have it lined up with only 2 spacers and it looks a little better with some pressure applied. Plan on finishing the build enough this week to ride it a little, hoping the 2 spacers are enough or that I can even remove one for my fit, then I'll cut the fork and brakes lines down and finish it up.

So far I've routed the brake lines and the di2 cables and battery, which was easy. Installed levers, bottom bracket, crank, crankset, brakes, etc. All of that has been easy and quality has been good on those tolerances on the frame. Synced the di2. Just need to throw on the wheelset and bleed the brakes so I can play with the headset spacers.

Quote from:  jeffrey

Will let you know my report on it soon, but probably would have been happier spending $200 more for something with higher quality.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 11:14:55 PM by eekden »

jeffrey

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2024, 05:22:34 AM »
Thank you both very much, that's a shame as this frame ticked so many boxes in what I would want from an allrounder bike.
Will look for something similar, starting from that Carbonda

eddietheengineer

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2024, 10:09:52 AM »
Your bike looks great, so at least you have that going for you!

Thanks! I think so too  :) I was a bit concerned the aesthetics wouldn't turn out but I'm satisfied with that.