Author Topic: Eddie's Airwolf YFR066 Build Thread  (Read 8397 times)

MasterB

Re: Eddie's Airwolf YFR066 Build Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2024, 01:57:54 AM »
I received a price on carbonda 1056 couple of weeks ago. I almost bought it too, except I can get the painted YFR066 for $650 delivered to EU, while CFR1056 from Carbonda will amount to over $1000 delivered.

CFR1056 : US$650/set  includes frame , fork , seat post ,clamp ,CHB1036 ( integrated stem handlebar)
headset: US $15.00
F&R axle: US $26.00
standard matte : free
UD matte , UD glossy : $105
One color: US:$70.00(matte or glossy,solid color )
Two colors: US$ :95.00 ( all matte or all glossy,solid color )
Two colors: US$ :105.00 ( matte and glossy,solid color )
Two color gradient : US$ :115.00 ( all matte or all glossy ,solid color )
Shipping cost(1 set of frame in one box)
195USD with duty paid service,About 15-35 days .
1,Bank transfer  (You will bear the bank transaction fees for both sides  )
2,alibaba( Alibaba will charge you a transaction fee of 2.99%/$40, and we will charge you a transaction fee of 2%)
3,paypal , 4.5% transaction fees .

jeffrey

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2024, 10:06:16 AM »
I received a price on carbonda 1056 couple of weeks ago. I almost bought it too, except I can get the painted YFR066 for $650 delivered to EU, while CFR1056 from Carbonda will amount to over $1000 delivered.

CFR1056 : US$650/set  includes frame , fork , seat post ,clamp ,CHB1036 ( integrated stem handlebar)
headset: US $15.00
F&R axle: US $26.00
standard matte : free
UD matte , UD glossy : $105
One color: US:$70.00(matte or glossy,solid color )
Two colors: US$ :95.00 ( all matte or all glossy,solid color )
Two colors: US$ :105.00 ( matte and glossy,solid color )
Two color gradient : US$ :115.00 ( all matte or all glossy ,solid color )
Shipping cost(1 set of frame in one box)
195USD with duty paid service,About 15-35 days .
1,Bank transfer  (You will bear the bank transaction fees for both sides  )
2,alibaba( Alibaba will charge you a transaction fee of 2.99%/$40, and we will charge you a transaction fee of 2%)
3,paypal , 4.5% transaction fees .

Wow! Nope, I'm not paying that much

Thanks for sharing

Alan Morgan

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2024, 03:22:53 AM »
I registered on this forum because I am about to pull the trigger on a red crystal YFR066 frame, just like yours... And I was wondering if the paint job looks good.
Please do keep us updated!

Yes - the paint job looks good. However, as I said, the caliper mounts were not masked so I have had to remove the paint in those areas. In the absence of a £350 Park Tool that would do the job, I resorted to needle files and Stanley knife blades. My build will have hydraulic brakes but, in order to check that my filing was OK, I mounted a TRP Spyre mechanical caliper with the wheel and rotor in place. By manually adjusting the pad clearance it was possible to make sure that the pads were parallel to the rotor (ie the mounting surface was flat and square). It took me nearly an hour in total to get it right.

My build has stalled slightly as I chose the wrong width/stem length combination for the integrated bar so I've had to order another one- I'd failed to take into account the seatpost setback. I've got a shippping number but who knows when it will arrive with the Chinese New Year looming...

eddietheengineer

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2024, 11:04:56 AM »
I'm about 10 rides in to owning the frame, figured it makes sense to have an update. I did have one issue with the front derailleur mount bolts getting stripped after tightening them up. Was attempting to get to 5nm and they stripped at around 3nm, which seems really low. When it gets loose next, I'll extract them and replace them with better quality bolts. Not a big deal.

That being said, riding this bike has been excellent. I am happy with the stiffness and agility of the frame and the integrated handlebars.

As Eddie did, here is my build including all the tools I bought to assemble it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kxmcrzbgUrXaXckA3jgbMvaOweVeR3Iw0n9Df3uwnoA/edit?usp=sharing

I think I'm getting to a similar point to you as well--the weather has gotten a bit nicer here and I've been able to take it out on more rides. With all the assembly woes behind me, the bike is growing on me. It feels fast, I am glad I went with the 165mm crank arms, 30mm tubeless wheels, etc.

I'm more confident with the bike in general, but I haven't had a big "hit" yet on a pothole to be confident that the handlebars won't slip or break, I'll probably put some carbon paste there just to be sure they don't rotate.

Alan Morgan

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2024, 12:07:32 PM »
Right - I've pretty much finished my build and I have to say, it fought back every step of the way...

As I said earlier, it was specced for the hills - hence the dinnnerplate cassette. Despite that and the GRX rear mech it came in at around 7.5kg as pictured (7.9 with SPD pedals, cages and computer mount). I'll do a 20k ride on Thursday or Friday and let you know how it went...

Serge_K

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2024, 03:40:59 PM »
Ok so morale of the story: don't buy frames from airwolf.
I have cockpits from them, love them.

jeffrey

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2024, 03:17:22 PM »
Right - I've pretty much finished my build and I have to say, it fought back every step of the way...

As I said earlier, it was specced for the hills - hence the dinnnerplate cassette. Despite that and the GRX rear mech it came in at around 7.5kg as pictured (7.9 with SPD pedals, cages and computer mount). I'll do a 20k ride on Thursday or Friday and let you know how it went...

Hi Alan, what's the feedback?

I'm so close to pulling the trigger despite all that's been written here, those Aliexpress coupons are so tempting

Alan Morgan

« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2024, 03:35:40 AM »
I haven't ridden it as much as I'd hoped for various reasons. Everything has been fine. No brake rub, comfortable (for me) and it bowls along very nicely. I would give the frameset a cautious recommendation as lonf as you're prepared to do the necessary fettling to make sure everything goes together nicely.

jeffrey

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2024, 01:01:21 PM »
I haven't ridden it as much as I'd hoped for various reasons. Everything has been fine. No brake rub, comfortable (for me) and it bowls along very nicely. I would give the frameset a cautious recommendation as lonf as you're prepared to do the necessary fettling to make sure everything goes together nicely.

Thanks for the feedback, that's encouraging and I'm glad your bike once completed is good! For the moment I resisted the urge (well, I bougth carbon wheels and handlebar for my current bike) but I'll see when the next sales comes on

mtoddsolomon

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2024, 09:55:04 PM »
So I’m waiting for my frame to be delivered. I’ve ordered this in raw carbon, airwolf wheels, sram axs rival groupset, Selle Italia saddle, and look keo pedals. I’ve got everything but the frame.

How is the frame at this point?

eekden

« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2024, 10:48:51 AM »
How is everyone’s seat post fit? I have a second build (velobuild 268) and the seat post on that one fits perfectly in the frame, good manufacturing tolerances, which made me realize my YFR066 is pretty loose in the frame until the bolt is tightened. Anyone notice this too?

eddietheengineer

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2024, 09:25:10 PM »
How is everyone’s seat post fit? I have a second build (velobuild 268) and the seat post on that one fits perfectly in the frame, good manufacturing tolerances, which made me realize my YFR066 is pretty loose in the frame until the bolt is tightened. Anyone notice this too?

I'd agree with you--the seat post has pretty loose tolerances. FWIW I haven't had any issues with it slipping in the frame, though I did have to crank down the seat post to seat bolt to stop it slipping.

Vladik005

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2024, 08:56:39 AM »
Is it even possible to buy a seatpost from another manufacturer?