Author Topic: Are there any current carbon gravel frames that have a round seat tube?  (Read 1003 times)

jonathanf2

I've noticed most if not all carbon framesets being made nowadays have braze-on FD mounts. Though I still find some merit having a round seat post tube in order to use a front derailleur clamp, especially for gravel. With an adjustable clamp, I can explore lower gear 2x chainring setups. Even if going 1x, it looks much cleaner without the mounting screws or a riveted braze-on.

Have they completely gone out of fashion for Chinese carbon frames? The only frames I see left that have round seat post tubes are the alloy and steel/titanium frames. Just curious if there is anything still available?

00Garza

Re: Are there any current carbon gravel frames that have a round seat tube?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 07:05:00 AM »
Haven’t seen that option in a LONG time.

jonathanf2

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 11:17:12 AM »
This Niner gravel frame is the only current frame I could find that still has a round seat post for gravel:

https://www.ninerbikes.com/rlt-9-rdo-frameset/

I'm running an older '17 carbon frame that lets me run a 34.9mm FD clamp. Though I've been wanting to go full internal and I can't seem to find anything. I guess the bike industry would rather have people run 1x with a big cassette, as opposed to a slightly lower geared 2x configuration for gravel. Plus I find that I don't like big cassettes. I prefer road like shifting, but still need the ability to climb based on my terrain.

jonathanf2

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 08:48:01 PM »
I have a VeloBuild GF-002 and it has a round seat post, same with the GF-003

https://www.velobuild.com/products/2021-velobuild-carbon-fiber-integrated-gravel-bike-frame-hidden-cables

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3499.0.html

From the looks of it, the GF-003 uses a braze-on FD mount. I don't see any VeloBuild round seat post frames that accommodate clamp-on FD hangers. Though it looks like there are 3 screw holes on the GF-003 so you can raise or lower the front derailleur hanger.

jefflinde

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 09:09:21 PM »
The light carbon has the LCG010-D and the LCG073-D that both have round seat tubes.  the 73-D has rear micro suspension and a 31.6 post.  looks like the just posted all the specs for it.

Sakizashi

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 09:44:16 PM »
I think OP is looking for a bike with a round seat tube, not that takes a round seatpost.

I think other than niner you need to go with a metal bike if you are buying a bike off the shelf. I am not sure understand the motivation for that though. You go with pretty small rings with gravel groups and you can also find extenders / adapters that lower the mounting point of the rear derailleur. If you want a clean look, you can get a bike with a removable hanger and some of those come with covers for 1x.

Edit: I actually meant to write you can get adapters that lower the mounting point of the FRONT derailleur. The rear ones are available as well, but not what I meant to write.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 12:21:00 PM by Sakizashi »

jonathanf2

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2023, 11:52:59 AM »
I think OP is looking for a bike with a round seat tube, not that takes a round seatpost.

I think other than niner you need to go with a metal bike if you are buying a bike off the shelf. I am not sure understand the motivation for that though. You go with pretty small rings with gravel groups and you can also find extenders / adapters that lower the mounting point of the rear derailleur. If you want a clean look, you can get a bike with a removable hanger and some of those come with covers for 1x.

Mainly because I hate big cassettes. I want quick shifting and closer sized cogs on my cassette. I'd rather have a smaller chainring 2x setup if it means I can stay with a lightweight cassette and not deal with long cage RDs.

numberzero

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2023, 12:58:48 PM »
Grx braze-on derailleur is made for 48-31 or 46-30 and works any 11 speed shifter. Probably a better option than searching for the impossible frame?