Author Topic: ZOOM HB-910 - another trickstuff clone dh & enduro  (Read 1430 times)

ftajiri

scar4me

Re: ZOOM HB-910 - another trickstuff clone dh & enduro
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 07:29:07 AM »
I've got a set of these sat in customs at the moment.
Will report back with detailed pictures n feedback once they arrive.

Scar

scar4me

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 09:12:59 AM »
So...
I've had a good look over them and can confirm some spec and impressions:
Caliper Pistons: 16mm/14mm pairs (I'd hoped they were 17/15)
Lever: 10mm piston, pivots 12mm apart, with lever grip 40-75mm from the master pivot and a nice curl at the tip.
Lever clamp: Compatible with Sram matchmaker clamp. (using sram clamp and bolt)
Finishing: Pretty good, anodising is a little fragile and can see where it's knocked about in the box a bit on a few of the sharper edges.
Initial impressions: Very good

1 lever came with one of the lever bolts half way undone, so had to tighten that up.
Took the chance to strip down the lever pivot assembly and get a good look at it. No loctite on any bolts, so will add some.
Can't comment on lever feel under hard pulls yet as not had it on a bar n disc yet, but initial impressions are good.
There is a slight forward back play from the tolerances of the threaded pivot section on the reach adjustment pin, but this could be due to the bearings.
Will look to get some 2rs bearings installed instead of the zz metal shielded ones.
Pistons look to be stainless, and fully hollow under the pad.
Need to reset the pistons back and check how freely they each move as they were uneven when received (had pads and spacer fitted)
I think the hoses aren't done up tight enough from factory, as I could twist the lever and holding the hose it would rotate in the lever.
Will take the lever off and review the barb/olive situation soon anyway as need to internally route the rear one.
pics: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/scar4me/album/Stuff/

Will update again when i've had a chance to fit, bed in ad actually get some usage.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 09:23:47 AM by scar4me »

ftajiri

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 01:25:05 PM »
So...
I've had a good look over them and can confirm some spec and impressions:
Caliper Pistons: 16mm/14mm pairs (I'd hoped they were 17/15)
Lever: 10mm piston, pivots 12mm apart, with lever grip 40-75mm from the master pivot and a nice curl at the tip.
Lever clamp: Compatible with Sram matchmaker clamp. (using sram clamp and bolt)
Finishing: Pretty good, anodising is a little fragile and can see where it's knocked about in the box a bit on a few of the sharper edges.
Initial impressions: Very good

1 lever came with one of the lever bolts half way undone, so had to tighten that up.
Took the chance to strip down the lever pivot assembly and get a good look at it. No loctite on any bolts, so will add some.
Can't comment on lever feel under hard pulls yet as not had it on a bar n disc yet, but initial impressions are good.
There is a slight forward back play from the tolerances of the threaded pivot section on the reach adjustment pin, but this could be due to the bearings.
Will look to get some 2rs bearings installed instead of the zz metal shielded ones.
Pistons look to be stainless, and fully hollow under the pad.
Need to reset the pistons back and check how freely they each move as they were uneven when received (had pads and spacer fitted)
I think the hoses aren't done up tight enough from factory, as I could twist the lever and holding the hose it would rotate in the lever.
Will take the lever off and review the barb/olive situation soon anyway as need to internally route the rear one.
pics: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/scar4me/album/Stuff/

Will update again when i've had a chance to fit, bed in ad actually get some usage.

nice appointments

poor anodizing is common on this low level brakes... the wise choice is for natural aluminum, and to give real finish an polish the edges

scar4me

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 04:31:01 PM »
Another minor update.
Found the lever bleed port screw to be way over torque.
Rounded the 2.5mm hex, so had to 'adjust' it up to t10 torx using my mallet. (Works fine now)
Also not sure what oil they've put in (pink tinge colour), but was a chunk heavier than my lhm+ I re-bled them with.
I.e. wouldn't even mind in the syringe, and separated immediately to the bottom.

Lever throw is really good now, not short or too long, but smooth and consistent with loads of usable reach adjustment range.
Just gotta bed in and see how they run.

scourge

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 02:45:49 AM »
These brakes look good. I'm also liking the ZTTO Team brakes. These have some little things that could be better, but the ZTTO have 2.3mm thick rotors. That may help with stopping power

scar4me

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2023, 07:19:13 PM »
So.... After a few rides.
These have really really good stopping power.
They can take 2.3mm rotors, even though I'm running with standard 1.8mm.
I've seen these calipers specced with 2.3rotors and e-bike sensor equipped Moto style levers.

I'm actually much more impressed than I expected after the power ratio estimations.
Super light lever action, very easy to lock up, but really controllable.

ztto teams have quad 16mm pistons, so bigger, but the lever lets them down a bit.
Still good reports for them, but I'd still probably recommend these over the ztto teams.

Annoyingly 1 of the main underside lever pivot bolt has fallen out on my last ride, so 100% get locktite on the bolts if you get a set.
Only noticed as the reach adjustment started wandering inward.
Will be easy enough to find a substitute bolt tho.

scourge

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2023, 11:49:55 PM »
Thanks for the update

AzureEssence

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2024, 10:57:45 AM »
So.... After a few rides.
These have really really good stopping power.
They can take 2.3mm rotors, even though I'm running with standard 1.8mm.
I've seen these calipers specced with 2.3rotors and e-bike sensor equipped Moto style levers.

I'm actually much more impressed than I expected after the power ratio estimations.
Super light lever action, very easy to lock up, but really controllable.

ztto teams have quad 16mm pistons, so bigger, but the lever lets them down a bit.
Still good reports for them, but I'd still probably recommend these over the ztto teams.

Annoyingly 1 of the main underside lever pivot bolt has fallen out on my last ride, so 100% get locktite on the bolts if you get a set.
Only noticed as the reach adjustment started wandering inward.
Will be easy enough to find a substitute bolt tho.

Thanks for the loctite tip, I will do that.

Are you still running these? Any other tips or tricks? Bleed tips? I have mine installed, just need to bleed them as they were shipped Euro style (right lever front and left lever rear) and I had to swap the hoses. Running with TRP 2.3mm rotors and Cooma Gold metallic pads.

Kommandant33

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2024, 08:07:45 PM »
How easy are these to bleed - and what barb/olive would be best? I am in Australia and would need left/rear right/front otherwise I will end up going over the handlebars constantly.