Other Resources > Vendor Discussion & Reviews

TI Frame. Mistake on front derailleur mount (welded instead of screwed)

(1/2) > >>

mirphak:
A friend and I are working with a manufacturer on two custom TI gravel frames. Due to miscommunication between their sales/manager and their engineers/designers, they made a mistake in the front derailleur mount. We specified clearly and many times that we did not want a welded mount, but something removable. The sales manager understood well that and confirmed that, but apparently in the final design that was left out and nobody noticed (I honestly looked at it, but thought it was indeed the corrrect design, apparently it wasn't). They are aware it was their mistake though.

In the end we are going 1x chainring, and we are left with this fixed in position. It is honestly a real pity, because otherwise the frame looks great amazing, the manufacturer did a great job with the welds and we  are  very happy how this turned out.

What can be done about it? The manufacturer says a screw-mount at this point is out of question, and so is re-making the frames, but that may be able to remove the mount and we can use a tube-clamped hanger if needed. I guess they would cut it out and polish?

- Do you think they can eventually get a decently looking tube doing this cutting it out and polishing the frame?
- How about structural integrity? any thoughts about this? would it be safe? or prone to failure/crack?

jonathanf2:
 I actually prefer the FD clamp. It adds flexibility to explore lower gear 2x chainrings and it looks cleaner when going 1x.

As long as they're not cutting through the tube, I don't see how it'd affect structural integrity. Though I'm not sure they could do it without leaving marks behind. Either way, I'd ask for a big discount for their f**k up.

bichler.bua:
Agree, have them remove the mount and ask for a discount, as long as they can remove the mount without leaving any severe marks.
Use a FD clamp in the future, nothing wrong with that

mirphak:
But apart from marks, do you think the tube will be significantly weaker and prone to crack?
What I don't want is a frame that looks repaired and is weaker. It is their screw up because I insisted many times I wanted a removable hanger and they acknowledge. But of course being eastern manufacturers they do not want to have economic risks so they are really resisting making new frames (but not fully discarded). What I told them and it is truth is that if they make this right building new frames then that a sign of well doing and I will fully recommend them and will repeat in any future designs. Hell, we were even considering getting a small batch of frames in the future. But if they resist or do a shitty looking/working fix then of course I will do my best to spread the word and of course will cross them for future orders. That's it.

I actually do not mind a clamp adapter at all, and agree it might actually be better in some ways (the only issue I only had with those is that they sometimes collide with the bottle holder mounts or the bottle itself.

mirphak:
Ok, it turned out quite well actually and they accepted some discount for the mistake and change of plans. So yes, for now I can keep my recommendation on this manufacturer (Waltly)

First picture from before, the others from after the fix. You can see it, but  not very noticeable I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version