Author Topic: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame  (Read 25946 times)

Bonpensiero

Re: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame
« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2024, 02:18:52 PM »
Nice bokeh shots of a beautiful bike!

RasmusWH

« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2024, 01:21:55 PM »
Hello,

just finished my build.
At first I wanted to build my bike around Hygge Model S frame. So I started to look for information about this frame and found this forum. After reading this forum and watching Pattys videos I decided to go for Velobuild VB-268.

I choose painted variant. Frame showed 1040 g on scales in size 58. I didn't waight rest of the stuff (fork, seat post and integrated handlebar).
I build my bike with 12sp Ultegra Di2 and Elite Edge wheels. Whole bike came out 8,2 kgs redy to ride  with pedals, bottle cages and computer mount. I saw bikes weighing 7,8 kg on this thread. I don't know how you manage to achieve a weight of less than 8 kg. Any advices on how to get the weight down?

Building a bike was pretty straight forward except brakes - I can't properly align calipersto get rid of rubbing.

Nice build! How did you mount the Di2-battery in the seatpost?

TPU tubes and a cheap 3D printed mesh saddle would probably bring you down 200-250g in total.
Just type "Ryet 3D carbon saddle" in AliExpress, just bought the 115g Pro Stealth II knockoff.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 02:51:55 PM by RasmusWH »

eldrakos

« Reply #212 on: April 15, 2024, 04:55:41 AM »
Nice build! How did you mount the Di2-battery in the seatpost?

TPU tubes and a cheap 3D printed mesh saddle would probably bring you down 200-250g in total.
Just type "Ryet 3D carbon saddle" in AliExpress, just bought the 115g Pro Stealth II knockoff.

I simply put bubble wrap around battery. I rode 100 km with no issues. I am still looking for a permanent solution.

RasmusWH

« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2024, 01:21:23 PM »
I simply put bubble wrap around battery. I rode 100 km with no issues. I am still looking for a permanent solution.

Thanks. I just purchased a battery-holder for the SL7 from "SHOUTAI BIKE Store" on AlieExpress (27 USD). I will keep you posted if it works out, but probably not going to receive the frame until late may.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 11:37:24 PM by RasmusWH »

patliean1

« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2024, 09:44:20 AM »
First impression video is live.

My VeloBuild 268 Is FINISHED - First Ride Impressions
https://youtu.be/-we6CsAEaQY?si=f13auTeXKcUV-wwR

Also, I've had some problems with random creaking. Initially I thought it was the saddle rail clamp. Then the cables being routed into the headset. And finally the bottom bracket. Nope. It was the seatpost clamp. I torqued the clamp a little more than I usually do (7nm instead of 5nm) and it was still creaking. A lot. The solution was adding a bit of electrical tape around seat post clamp where the clamp seats into the frame, and adding another strip of tape along the area of the seatpost that contacts the clamp. Problem solved.

2Burgen

« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2024, 10:16:45 AM »
In your Video you said, that there is a significant difference between this frame and a higher priced frame.
As someone who rides his Scott CR1 in the last 14 years and doesn’t ride a lot of different road bikes, I can not imagine what the difference is. Would it be possible to elaborate this?

patliean1

« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2024, 11:09:51 AM »
In your Video you said, that there is a significant difference between this frame and a higher priced frame.
As someone who rides his Scott CR1 in the last 14 years and doesn’t ride a lot of different road bikes, I can not imagine what the difference is. Would it be possible to elaborate this?

For clarity, are you saying you cannot imagine the differences because there aren't any? Or because you have ridden the same bike for 14 years?

trytogo

« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2024, 12:05:13 PM »

There is no standardization in testing here. He compares bike ABC with different groupsets, bars, and wheels (incl tyres type, size, wheel depth, spoke type) plus a whole bunch of variables with what looks to be minimal testing time (first impressions). Unless someone sets up bikes with exactly the same components and A/B tests them back to back in set conditions, then isolating and commenting on the frame's "performance" would be mighty difficult.

The observations on geometry, customer service, and finishing are useful, however. The bike seems really nice, and it is good to see Velo has been working on their customer service. I was really impressed with the presale on my order; every question was answered in a friendly and timely manner. Having dealt with many in the past (Ican, Light, Yishun etc) this is the best I have seen any of them do in presales bar Yoleo) So far so good.

2Burgen

« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2024, 02:35:38 PM »
I can not imagine them because I have not riden different frames in the last years.

There was a huge difference going from aluminium to the CR1, somehow stiffer yet more compliant.

I am curious if the 268 and a different frame would be another wow for me or if I should safe for a more expensive frame. Test rides would be the best way to explore this but that’s not so easy.

Benbenben

« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2024, 03:19:40 PM »
Build done, except for missing bar tape. Er9, Magene p505, edge 45mm. Size 58 comes at 8.05 kg as you see it on the picture. Test ride is next.

patliean1

« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2024, 03:38:18 PM »
There is no standardization in testing here. He compares bike ABC with different groupsets, bars, and wheels (incl tyres type, size, wheel depth, spoke type) plus a whole bunch of variables with what looks to be minimal testing time (first impressions). Unless someone sets up bikes with exactly the same components and A/B tests them back to back in set conditions, then isolating and commenting on the frame's "performance" would be mighty difficult.

Correct. First impression video and then long-term video per usual. Even if I were to conduct standardized test, I would get called out for doing "bro science" as other YouTuber's have. Thankfully the support of this very forum over the years is what allows me to continue and make content. I'm very grateful.

trytogo

« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2024, 08:19:21 PM »
Build done, except for missing bar tape. Er9, Magene p505, edge 45mm. Size 58 comes at 8.05 kg as you see it on the picture. Test ride is next.

What a beauty, really gorgeous looking bike.

How was mounting the calipers? Well faced? Also gone er9 on mine, you use the included adapters or did you need to buy a separate set?

Serge_K

« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2024, 02:00:09 AM »
Correct. First impression video and then long-term video per usual. Even if I were to conduct standardized test, I would get called out for doing "bro science" as other YouTuber's have. Thankfully the support of this very forum over the years is what allows me to continue and make content. I'm very grateful.

Using the same wheels, could you do a NorCal kind of video on a loop you know well, swapping 2 or 3 bikes? You have to use the same wheels for any credible kind of comparison. Your times would be interesting, but equally interesting would be your impression.
I take issue with the "because it's 500usd it can never compete with a 1500usd frame", given the 268 is t800&1000, EPS moulded, proven geometry & shape: it's latest best practice afaik. Now yoeleo or the likes are, afaik, just taking oem frames and branding them for a premium, just less of a premium than western brands. Having looked at their specs sheet, manufacturing methods, reputation for QC, the reason why I don't buy them is because I don't see that my money would go into the frame.
I'd like to be proven wrong, because I can afford to pay 1500 for a frame, or 5000 for that matter, but i care about relative value.
Last, i saw you have a colnago video, any chance you would test ride that with your own wheels for comparison?
Colnago Vs velobuild video would break the internet :D

trytogo

« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2024, 02:15:31 AM »
I take issue with the "because it's 500usd it can never compete with a 1500usd frame", given the 268 is t800&1000, EPS moulded, proven geometry & shape: it's latest best practice afaik. Now yoeleo or the likes are, afaik, just taking oem frames and branding them for a premium, just less of a premium than western brands. Having looked at their specs sheet, manufacturing methods, reputation for QC, the reason why I don't buy them is because I don't see that my money would go into the frame.

Well said.

toxin

« Reply #224 on: April 17, 2024, 05:06:02 AM »
Norcal style "aero testing" is a waste of time