Author Topic: Shock hardware from aliexpress?  (Read 411 times)

jever98

Shock hardware from aliexpress?
« on: December 10, 2023, 10:56:07 PM »
Hi, has anyone tried shock hardware from aliexpress? What was your experience?

Thanks

carbonazza

Re: Shock hardware from aliexpress?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 07:56:29 AM »
I tried this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004083655476.html on my FM909 build.
I've only had it for a few months, but it seems to be of good quality.

jever98

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 11:56:12 AM »
Thank you! I was looking at that one. Did you use it with one of the install tools they sell on Aliexpress?

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 07:09:23 AM »
Thank you! I was looking at that one. Did you use it with one of the install tools they sell on Aliexpress?

I had a used tool from Wheels MFG for years in the workshop, but I didn't know what it was for.
One day, I found out it had exactly the right diameters to hammer out the bushings from shocks.
Then I use my usual hub press to gently install the bearing into the shock.

Tijoe

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 12:27:12 PM »
I purchased an OEM FOX bushing kit that fits the Fox trunnion shock I installed on my ongoing FS MTB build.    I am/was torn between using plastic bushings versus a needle bearing.
The shock mount rotates at most 110 degrees and needle bearings are designed for 360 degree rotations at higher RPMs.   I have read numerous complaints that the needle bearings quickly become notchy.  Plus, even though these needle bearings come with exterior o-ring seals, many complain that water intrusion quickly rusts the needles and makes them wear out even faster.  (Be sure that the needle bearing are a good grade of stainless steel, rather than carbon steel.)  I have also read the dirt/dust intrusion is an issue too. 

I looked at the set listed in the second post and decided not to order one.  The listing says "made with high quality materials"  but there is no reference as to weather or not the needle bearing uses Stainless Steel.   From another thread in this forum, a poster posted a link to a needle bearing kit that is stainless and the price for this set is over $40.  I looked up the prices for stainless the needle bearing and every stainless steel bearing has prices starting at $18 and up.