Author Topic: Hardtail Flatbar Gravel Frame/Fork  (Read 668 times)

sherpaxc

Hardtail Flatbar Gravel Frame/Fork
« on: December 12, 2023, 03:19:50 PM »
Hi all,
  I've spent hours on here looking through reviews and checking out different sites.  I'm stuck and could use some outside help.  I currently have a Salsa Warbird (size 56) but the drop bars just aren't working for me.  I'm going to sell it to fund a build.  I have a really nice set of wheels off the Warbird that I would like to use, DT 240 hubs on Lightbicycle carbon rims (142 spacing in back, 12x100 thru front).  I'm looking for an xc race style bike with a rigid fork that would fit the wheels.  I need the frame to accept at least a 36 tooth front ring.  Can anyone offer an help or recomendations for me?  I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks. 

Tijoe

Re: Hardtail Flatbar Gravel Frame/Fork
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 12:53:03 AM »
I am not sure what your real problem is.  The drop bars, or the Warbird.    You could try a hybird style handlebar, like an "H" bar.  They are a good blend between flat bars and drop bars.    I have these on one of my 29er hardtails and on my bikepacking bike, and plan to put them on my gravel bike when my next pair arrives from China.  They are good for longer distance riding on gravel roads and singletracks, but not as good on berms.

Since you want to keep your wheels, this limits you to a "Gravel Frame" option.  The majority of 29er frames these days, sold on Aliexpress, have 148 boost rear hubs.
There are carbon rigid carbon forks for around $100 that will fit 100mm front hubs and have the newest 1-1/2 X 1-1/8" head tube standard.

It might also be cost effective to have a custom TI frame fabricated by Waltly, or one of the others on Alibaba/Aliexpress.  They could make you a frame that fits 142 hubs and has almost any geometry that fits your needs.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805771510481.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.359.10931802roDCOl&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804059388076.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.677.10931802roDCOl&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 12:54:54 AM by Tijoe »

catdog

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 12:59:08 AM »
Seems like you want something like the Specialized Diverge Evo?

I second the custom TI Waltly approach.

How about a lightbicycle Journey in size large? Gives you effective top tube of 574 and you can add a 60ish mm stem to flat bar.

If you're gonna run smaller 700c tires, then consider a 650B bike frame so your bb drop doesn't get too crazy low if you choose a mtb frame.

For your wheels, just get different end caps to match whatever frame you get. If you go boost, you'll have to dish the rear wheel which is pretty easy or cheap if you pay for it.

sherpaxc

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 03:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I'll look in to Waltly. 

darkening

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 07:59:36 AM »
You can buy adapter\spacers to fit your 142mm hub into a boost frame. Not a problem at all.