Author Topic: Planning new XC/DC? build  (Read 1013 times)

Ryan_M

Planning new XC/DC? build
« on: December 15, 2023, 11:35:49 PM »
Before I get into it, Im curious about forum etiquette here. Should I start 5+ different threads discussing the individual parts or do it all in one thread? I was thinking the later woud be better since all the info is in one spot, but don't wanna be a nuisance. Thanks

acedeuce802

Re: Planning new XC/DC? build
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 07:53:59 AM »
I would say it depends on how much discussion will follow. Quick questions about peoples preference for components or help with fitment? Keep it part of a single build thread. New component on the market that would spark a lot of discussion? Maybe a new thread.

Ryan_M

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 06:47:44 PM »
Thanks.

All of this is to get feedback and advice on the build as a whole so context likely maters. I'm pretty new to mountain biking and rode a hardtail I cobled together for the last part of the season to see how I liked it. I f'n loved it!... but also noticed some shortcommings with the bike. Namely suspension, I need rear sus. The hard tail is almost good enough and I don't want to be over biked so going for full sus XC, or downcountry, or light trail?, depending where those blurry lines lay. I'm not working within the limits of a budget but I aim for bang for the buck, or the point of diminishing returns. For example I'm a Shimano XT type person... noticably better than Deore for a cost I feel is justifiable, not thowing 2x the $$$ at it to get XTR just to save a few grams but I can be talked into a lot of things LOL.

I'm a bit into the decision making but still some big ones to make still. I have the suspension, a RS deluxe ultimate 165x45 and a RS SID ultimate 120mm (both take-offs/barely used). I will laikely have to play with shim stacks and try different tunings for the shock but I knew that going in and kinda looking forward to it. I've decided on the Carbonda FM936 (L) to be ordered soon.

One thing I really can't get figured out is wheels. I was going to go for DT 240s but the 350s are much cheaper and the only diference that I can find is ~40g on the wheel set so I'm inclined to go that way. Rims are another thing. I want carbon but the price of the usual suspects seems astronomical. I'm looking at Carbonbeam 30mm internal in AM (325g)... I'm 90kg+ so shouldn't go super light.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 06:57:20 PM by Ryan_M »

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 04:45:02 AM »
...I've decided on the Carbonda FM936 (L) to be ordered soon.

One thing I really can't get figured out is wheels. I was going to go for DT 240s but the 350s are much cheaper and the only diference that I can find is ~40g on the wheel set so I'm inclined to go that way. Rims are another thing. I want carbon but the price of the usual suspects seems astronomical. I'm looking at Carbonbeam 30mm internal in AM (325g)... I'm 90kg+ so shouldn't go super light.

Did you consider the FM909 ? It has the room for two bottles, 52/52 headset, you can lock manually the shock more easily, and is UDH.
I own both, they ride almost the same but with these differences.
An advice more, take the BSA and not the BB92 model, even if not in stock it is worth the wait.

For the wheels. I never changed bearings in a DT-240 wheelset but had to in 350 ones. The 240 come with stainless bearings.
And I ride in the mud 4-5 months a year.
For the rims, you should have a look at lightbicycle.com 
Prices is one thing but you should consider the service that comes with it for all the years you'll ride with them.

In May, I'll celebrate(hopefully) the 10th year of my first 29er rims I got from them.
That will convert to be my gravel set.

Boybiskit

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 11:54:48 AM »

It sounds like we take a similar approach - no specific budget but trying to do best we can for what we think is reasonable. I prefer alloy rims, so for my build went for Dartmoor Tomcats because they are ~30mm, ~500g and cheap. I had the same thoughts on hubs as you, and ended up going for a 240 front and got a good deal on xtr rear (Universal Cycles). I built the wheels myself have have a 1700g, wide, strong wheelset for the price of a pretty cheap off-the-shelf wheelset.

Ryan_M

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 09:02:23 PM »
Some parts are on the way!

I ended up not going with a Carbinda FM936 frame... They would only ship UPS (which is insanity importing into Canada), plus I had a nagging feeling about the fit. I ordered a HongFu FM138 in superlight. Going by geometry calculators it seemed like a better frame fit wise, not sure what the differences will be handling wise. I'll have to get a different rear shock though... not sure between Deluxe Ultimate or Sidluxe. Seems an even split from people's opinions I've read.

Wheel parts are en route as well. Thanks for the advice on getting 240s. I think I'd regret the 350s eveytime I looked at them. I got 30mm ID LightCarbon rims. I couldn't find any info to suggest they're not as good as any of the more well known offerings, and they were half the price of the LightBicycle rims. I wanted to go with CXRay spokes but couldn't find enough in the size I wanted without paying inflated prices. Ended up finding Pillar 1420 spokes that were much more readily available, and a good bit cheaper too.

Tires are 29x2.35 TNT Barzos front and back. I run Barzo/Mezcal on my hardtail. Happy with the Barzo up front but the Mezcal slips the odd time, so should be good I think. Gonna wait for the frame to get here before I order the rest of it which will likely be XT all around.