Author Topic: Handlebar tape recomendation?  (Read 922 times)

vknez

Handlebar tape recomendation?
« on: December 17, 2023, 05:56:28 AM »
What handlebar tape you recomend? I prefer the comfiest one. From Aliexpress or some other site.

Crash217

Re: Handlebar tape recomendation?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 08:46:31 AM »
Once I tried Arundel Rubber Gecko bar tape I won’t use anything else.  I can get it for $20 at my LBS and under $30 online.  Grippy and comfortable.

ausmtb8989

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 09:08:39 AM »
i am a lizard skins guy, the thickest version

mirphak

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 12:16:31 PM »
Has anyone tried this?
Wolf Tooth 5mm tape

It is thick, so in theory good for gravel? I usually put double bar tape on my handlebars, but I am tempted to try this.

Tijoe

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 01:02:21 PM »
I wanted more cush on my gravel bike, bikepacker, and 29er hardtail.  (22.2 carbon "H" bars) I purchased foam insulation that fits perfectly on these bars, then covered them with ZTTO brand tape.    This makes the OD of the bars about the same OD as my MTB grips.  For my size hands, I like the larger OD much better than regular tape wrapped road or gravel bars.   On rough gravel roads and singletrack I love this combination of foam and then wrap.

https://www.harfington.com/products/p-1369365

« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 01:10:19 PM by Tijoe »

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 01:39:32 AM »
I go with Deda Traforato for road. its very light, comfy and cheap!

ENEP

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 03:20:51 AM »
I have Ergon BT Gravel on order. Also available as an allroad or road version. Seems to be great quality but maybe on the shorter side if you have a wide bar.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 04:21:27 PM »
There are gel pads available for the hood and drop position.
Putting them under the bartape is much more comfy than any tape alone.
When I had problems with my wrists I used them, they really helped me.

Tijoe

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 11:21:16 PM »
There are gel pads available for the hood and drop position.
Putting them under the bartape is much more comfy than any tape alone.
When I had problems with my wrists I used them, they really helped me.

I used to run gel pads on my road bikes.  Expensive versus how much it helped.  Even though they had adhesive to hold them to the bars, any tape I used would squish around on the gel and moved around.  When I wrapped my tape as tight as possible, then the gel pad really didn't provide enough cushion, only some vibration  damping.  This is why I shifted to foam bar covering.  Inexpensive, cushy 360 degrees around the bars and most bar tape grips really well to the closed cell outside.

PLA

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 11:34:53 PM »
I use enve tape on everything these days
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

Eskae

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 11:43:43 AM »
i am a lizard skins guy, the thickest version

Me too, they are great.  Also a good visual pair with a black Brooks Cambium saddle.  I also layer gel padding underneath, usually Fizik brand. 

It normally retails for between $35-$40 but AliExpress also sells it for way cheaper.  I bought two rolls from AliEx and compared them side-by-side to an ostensibly genuine set from Amazon and couldn't tell any difference.  That said, I haven't installed or ridden on the AliEx tape, so I don't know if it's functionally different. 

Pedaldancer

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2023, 03:17:44 PM »
I used to run gel pads on my road bikes.  Expensive versus how much it helped.  Even though they had adhesive to hold them to the bars, any tape I used would squish around on the gel and moved around.  When I wrapped my tape as tight as possible, then the gel pad really didn't provide enough cushion, only some vibration  damping.  This is why I shifted to foam bar covering.  Inexpensive, cushy 360 degrees around the bars and most bar tape grips really well to the closed cell outside.

Well... that's less than optimal. I didn't have this experience with the gel pads. What foam do you use? Currently I am fine without  additional damping but still good to know options.

For the tape question:
If you can get tape from ciclovation, this is very comfy. And extremely long lasting. I was able to get 2 sets at Aliexpress (they were not cheap.. around 30$). I use one of them for my powertrainer bike... entering the third winter now. Looks still like new tape, although I unwrapped it one time for maintenance and wrapped it up again.  :o usually that's how to kill a tape.
I can't order anymore from the shop that used to have ciclovation. Sad... a lot of shops closed their shops for my country.