Author Topic: Borealis Bikes  (Read 5585 times)

325racer

Borealis Bikes
« on: January 01, 2015, 12:40:51 PM »
My LBS is now carrying Borealis and if I didn't know better (I don't) I would swear that it's being made in the same factory as the XMIPlay stuff.  Almost the entire bike looks like a slightly enlarged 057.  The front triangle looks almost identical with the exception of the BB being fatter, the lower chain stays even look to be identical, just wider.  The only place that looks different are the seat stays, which look like a copy of a Specialized.

Had a discussion with one of the guys at the shop because I said it looks almost identical to my frame sourced directly from China, and he swears it's made in Canada or someplace in the midwest.

http://www.borealisbikes.com/bike/yampa

While I'm not in the market for a Fat Bike, I'm just posting to start a discussion.

Carbon_Dude

Re: Borealis Bikes
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 06:32:01 PM »
I am with you, that is not a frame made in the midwest, I would bet money it's a Chiner Fatbike frame & fork.  I can't blame the bike shop though, if they are able to provide a good bike at lower price point, I think that's good for their business.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

325racer

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
Borealis is priced in the $4k+ range.  An XX1 version is about $6k, just like any other name brand would be.

cmh

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 08:09:24 AM »
My LBS is now carrying Borealis and if I didn't know better (I don't) I would swear that it's being made in the same factory as the XMIPlay stuff. ...

I was curious so I did a bit of looking, and couldn't find anything. Closest I found was "...while the parts manufacturing is overseas, assembly happens in the US." Doesn't tell us too much, but certainly doesn't rule it out.

Really hoping I like the Motobecane that I've got on order - because if I do I think swapping out the frame for one if XMIPlay's offerings would be pretty sweet. Already looking at upgrading the rims/wheels so I can run tubeless.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:19:50 AM »
My LBS is now carrying Borealis and if I didn't know better (I don't) I would swear that it's being made in the same factory as the XMIPlay stuff. ...

I was curious so I did a bit of looking, and couldn't find anything. Closest I found was "...while the parts manufacturing is overseas, assembly happens in the US." Doesn't tell us too much, but certainly doesn't rule it out.

Really hoping I like the Motobecane that I've got on order - because if I do I think swapping out the frame for one if XMIPlay's offerings would be pretty sweet. Already looking at upgrading the rims/wheels so I can run tubeless.

You ordered a Motobecane, which I would normally say you made a good choice, but if you want to change out to a Carbon frame and also change out the wheels, I would suggest canceling your order and building your new bike yourself.  You will be happier in the long run as you will be able to select each part and learn how to assemble and maintain your bike.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 09:43:25 AM »
You ordered a Motobecane, which I would normally say you made a good choice, but if you want to change out to a Carbon frame and also change out the wheels, I would suggest canceling your order and building your new bike yourself.  You will be happier in the long run as you will be able to select each part and learn how to assemble and maintain your bike.

I hear ya, but the Moto has a great selection of parts that I'd want anyway - Bluto fork, XT, etc. The frame upgrade is a long-term option if I'm really hooked, and the moto gets me up and running quickly. Upgrades can then happen from there, as I feel inclined. My plan for the 057 was going to be assembled off of spare parts I have on hand already, but a fattie introduces a number of parts I don't have on hand.

The carbon wheels make tubeless a whole bunch more feasible (and tubeless on a MTB isn't optional for me) and save a huge amount of weight, and I'll just sell the originals to offset the price.

As for learning how to assemble and maintain, I've been building bikes and wheels for a loooong time now, we even turned my garage into a bike shop. I got that covered! :D