Author Topic: After a 256, after a 041, here comes my Workswell 062  (Read 4627 times)

carbonazza

After a 256, after a 041, here comes my Workswell 062
« on: March 10, 2016, 10:12:30 AM »
After a few recent issues with the frames, the lefty, broken pedals, etc.
I realized that having just one bike was not a viable option anymore.

While I can fix most things, some issues may take a very long time to sort out.
Which means no ride during that time.

So after having tried a 256, then briefly a 041, I was wondering what I could do now.
RS VR6 made so much positive noise about his bike it was intriguing.
And a very reasonable price helped me decide for a 062

I took the simple PF30. Since I had the BB and the XX1 crank already.
Verified multiple times with Ken there about size, BB, etc. (Ken was very helpful and nice).

As promised the frame arrived about 10 days later here in Europe! Well packed and protected.

Some goodies come for the price, which is a very nice touch:

They have definitely some issues with the bottom bracket.
The one you see in the picture, looks like a PF30 outside, but expects a 24mm spindle.
For me PF30 means a 30mm spindle, so I couldn't do anything with it.

I prefer to start the internal cabling before anything else.
So I can guide the hoses easily by the headtube or the bb shell.

First the rear derailleur. Full hosing. Entering from the top.
Unlike the 041, I was able to make it enter from the left side.
And make a nice curve for both the rear brake and derailleur hoses.

The front brake hose does not touch both hoses.
The result is clean, no need of any cable handlers or stickers to protect the frame. I like it !

Then over the BB ( note the bare carbon PF30, like some brand bikes ).

Till the end of the right chainstay, where you can remove the cap and grab it easily.

Very easy.

Now the rear brake.
As some other reported already they made it much harder than it should.
Starting from the back.

It goes out below the BB, and can be directed to the downtube.

I was quite disappointed to see a bottom hatch like the 256.
However it is somehow better built here.
But after two years riding in mudland, I noticed the mud and water get inside the frame anyway.
It is finally better to drill holes or leave an easy way out for the gunk, before it stagnate and drown the bearings.
So I took it off, for now, and ride without problems.

Now comes the pain. How to get the hose in this pesky little white tube:

Here you can see the white tube through the hole of the rear derailleur.
If there is a next time, I'll start with the brake then the derailleur.

After trying various options, I took a copper wire as a tool.
It was fiddly but it went out rather easily:

Time to put the headset.
There was some play as the black top cup didn't press correctly.
Some shims came with it.

One was enough.

I put my trustworthy BBInfinite bottom bracket.
With some Loctite. With the same ceramic/stainless steel bearings I took out of my 256.

Now... the fork!
Fed up with my Lefty's issues, I wanted to be maintenance free for the fork, and go for a high end rigid.
But my LBS had something else.
He was making a very good price on a Lauf fork.
As the Lauf went out a couple of years ago, I liked the idea. So jumped on it.

I'm riding XC almost exclusively, so the 60mm are more than enough.
My wrists thank me after each ride compared to a rigid.
I went through some rocky parts too, and as someone pointed on the web you just have to adapt to it, and everything goes fine.
It shines on the cobbles too( we have quite a few of them in Belgium ).

In addition, losing about 500g on the front makes a huge difference handling the bike.
I still have to order a carbon rim, and build the front wheel( my previous front wheel has a Lefty hub).

I'm still not fond of the mad-max-like look, but I love the ride.
A chiner generates loads of questions when riding in group. Imagine a chiner with a Lauf  :D

The rest of the assembly went fine. The bar and levers.
The carbon stem I got with my 256( for two years ) had a crack on one fo the 4 screws that tighten the bar.
I took a Procraft aluminium stem. I love this brand. They make beautiful and light parts for a very reasonable price.

I didn't cut the fork tube yet totally, as the stack is 3cm lower than what I was used to.
My back doesn't look to complain on this more aggressive position, so I will cut it soon.

And here are some more pictures of the final result.

After a few hundreds of kilometers on it, some ride impressions:

I'm not sure the 12mm shorter chainstay is the only reason, but it is much more playful and easier to handle than the 256 and the 041.
I feel more with the bike, than on the bike.

But when jumping out of the saddle and hammering the pedals, the rear is flexing quite a lot. More than the 256.
Especially comparing to the stiffness of the 041 which is a blade. This is my only negative point that makes me miss my 041.
And the 27,2 mm seat tube makes it as comfortable as the 041 when eating small bumps ( the 256 definitely not ).

bxcc

Re: After a 256, after a 041, here comes my Workswell 062
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 07:55:47 PM »
Nice looking build. Keep us updated on your impressions! Mine is in SS mode and I like it more each ride.

RS VR6

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 08:55:57 PM »
Nice write up! 8)

Bike looks crazy with the Lauf fork. I got a chance to bounce one around, but didn't get the chance to ride it. Real curious about it.

Trying to get the hose through that tube was the most time consuming part. Once I got the hose into the tube, I was not able to push the hose through. It's a tight fit. Lol...if I didn't have the hose issue...I would have been done in two hours. :-\

I've never noticed flex from the rear end. I came from an aluminum Specialized Carve.

I think the 062 is a fairly underrated frame.  ;)

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 10:23:10 PM »
Looks great. I'm also interested to hear more about the fork.. Did I understand correctly and the Lauf is 500 grams lighter than the lefty? That's awesome if it still provides moderate but effective front suspension. Does the suspension action feel significantly different?

cmh

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 08:09:13 AM »
Great writeup on the build issues! Bike looks pretty crazy with that fork but the matte black pairs up awesome with the frame.

I do have to take issue with you mentioning you saved 500g on the fork but did NOT mention the total build weight! C'mon! It's gotta be pretty amazing. :D

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 11:45:14 AM »
Sitar_Ned, yes about 500g, I didn't weight all the pieces for exact figures.
The Lefty XLR 100 + steerer tube + accessories, makes about 1.6Kg
And the Lauf is 990g uncut + the axle.

But the weight feel is what impresses me the most.
It makes the front featherlight to handle on technical parts of the trail.

It is less rigid than the lefty which doesn't move (if you remember to lock it).
It bounces sometimes, especially out of the saddle, but I get used to it.

They say that since there is no damping, it does not eat as much "watts" even if you can't lock it.
And I think it could be true.
I know that I need to lock my fork to beat some guys I ride with while climbing.
And here I beat them anyway. In addition
I do not forget to unlock anymore which was something very frequent.
The fork is very comfortable on my usual trails.

cmh, how a weight weenie like me could forgot this! 8.1Kg with pedal and sealant :D
I ordered two Ti axles from China to rebuild my broken Egg Beater pedals.
And when it will get drier I'll put back my Thunder Burts.
So it will drop below 8Kg (17.5 lbs).

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:02:37 PM by carbonazza »

wind_dre

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 06:00:24 AM »
But when jumping out of the saddle and hammering the pedals, the rear is flexing quite a lot. More than the 256.
Especially comparing to the stiffness of the 041 which is a blade. This is my only negative point that makes me miss my 041.
And the 27,2 mm seat tube makes it as comfortable as the 041 when eating small bumps ( the 256 definitely not ).

Hi,

I'm about to order a 062 frame (with a rigid carbon fork) (from workswell trough aliexpress website), but your comment above generate me some doubts !!
You mean that when you jump out the saddle the frame is flexing ?? I don't like this, could you please explain that with more detail ??
I'm 69 Kg (152 lb).

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 09:07:08 AM »
Well... we are discussing impressions here. As I didn't measure anything objectively other could share theirs too.
I never noticed any flex on my 256, and wouldn't have probably noticed a flex in my 062 if I didn't try the 041 before.
So if you go for a 062, I guess you will be happy.

When seating the first time on the 041 I felt something more rigid, and riding it even more.
Do you remember the kid in The Incredibles, when he starts running on the water?
I felt ridiculously like this when hammering it as much as I could the first time in the woods, without any boing or any unwanted move or noise, just straight.

The big advantage of the 062 is the handling.
The rear is much more agile than the 041.
And obviously the price difference.

I should receive my replacement 041 soon, and will report any new "impression".
As I really like my 062 now, I may be more fair now :)

Vipassana

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 12:23:30 PM »
Thanks for the write-up!  So many great frames to choose from.  The 256 is getting a bad reputation, but I still think its a great option for many and it has served us well.  I like many of the features of the 062 (3 water bottle screws, removable cable routing covers).  I really want to try the 041 for this razor like handling and precision you all keep measuring.