Author Topic: Stiff, flared handlebar suggestions?  (Read 1745 times)

kanuto

Stiff, flared handlebar suggestions?
« on: December 29, 2023, 10:31:32 PM »
Hi, any suggestion for a stiff and flared handlebar mainly going to use for criterium. Currently running a controltech cougar aluminium handlebar. It's an aero handlebar but super heavy around 300+ gms. I have paired this with the best stem of all kalloy uno. Nothing wrong with the setup but the itch to upgrade hits me. There is also a carbon version of the bar im using but looking for cheaper options. I have tried  rxl bars and they flex so bad during sprint very scary.

For reference, i am 179, 77kg.

Thanks for the suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 10:34:29 PM by kanuto »

jonathanf2

Re: Stiff, flared handlebar suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 11:17:38 PM »
Have you tried these flared bars from RXL? I use the flared bar on both my road bikes.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803093583495.html

kanuto

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 11:30:23 PM »
Have you tried these flared bars from RXL? I use the flared bar on both my road bikes.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803093583495.html
Not yet, whats your feedback on them? Also what is your weight?

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 12:07:08 AM »
Not yet, whats your feedback on them? Also what is your weight?

I'm around 174cm and 70kg and do quite a bit of out of saddle climbing and sprinting. I also have the bars paired with a lightweight 7050 alloy UNO stem (sub 100g). I've tried sub 200g drop bars, but I went back to the flared RXL bar because I find them quite solid with very minimal flex.

PLA

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 02:29:03 PM »
Speeder.
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

kanuto

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 03:49:49 PM »
I'm around 174cm and 70kg and do quite a bit of out of saddle climbing and sprinting. I also have the bars paired with a lightweight 7050 alloy UNO stem (sub 100g). I've tried sub 200g drop bars, but I went back to the flared RXL bar because I find them quite solid with very minimal flex.
Looks like same as the toseek handlebar that snapped on tracevelo?

kanuto

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 03:50:59 PM »
Speeder.
ohhh. This is new to me. Whats the retail price on them? Seems to be only sold in their website and not in ali/taobao?

toxin

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2023, 04:33:34 PM »

Not at all

Sakizashi

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2023, 04:54:30 PM »
ohhh. This is new to me. Whats the retail price on them? Seems to be only sold in their website and not in ali/taobao?

I think you need to reach out to them for up to date pricing. Shipping will be a huge part of the total cost, though that situation has really improved since I asked about the product. I was quoted $95 for the bar and nearly the same for shipping, but this was when there were still issues getting things out of China using EMS. I ended up getting Enve SES aero bars instead on discount.

Another option, though I have no experience with them may be the BigRock Skyline II one piece bars. They are only on Taobao right now, but since you listed that as an option they seem to be enjoying a good reputation in China.

Another thing to think about it swapping out the Kalloy stem. I run them and love them, but they arent the stiffest stems on the market.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 11:10:54 PM by Sakizashi »

jonathanf2

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2023, 05:40:30 PM »

Naw, cable holes are in different locations. Though if I was OP, I'd probably just stick with alloy drops for maximum stiffness and cut weight elsewhere or find sub 300g alloy drop bars.

kanuto

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2023, 07:25:15 PM »
I think you need to reach out to them for up to date pricing. Shipping will be a huge part of the total cost, though that situation has really improved since I asked about the product. I was quoted $95 for the bar and nearly the same for shipping, but this was when there were still issues getting things out of China using EMS. I ended up getting Enve SES aero bars instead on discount.

Another option, though I have no experience with them may be the BigRock Skyline II one piece bars. They are only on Taobao right now, but since you listed that as an option they seem to be enjoying a good reputation in China.

Another thing to think about it swapping out the Kalloy stem. I run them and love them, but they arent the stiffest stems on the market.

Let me check this skyline. I agree. Kalloy stem is not the stiffest for sprinting. Once i get a hold of a carbon bar. Will replace this with some beefy stem.

PLA

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 06:53:03 AM »

I bought one, it's great. Handles my 1800W sprint with ease. I have the 35cm top version.

My pricing was a little different to usual retail, but you can reach out to them for pricing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 10:01:38 AM by PLA »

Tines

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2023, 08:48:29 AM »
Think 95 usd + shipping + PayPal fee.  If we’re talking about the enve clone by speeder cycling.

chughes

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2023, 09:55:38 AM »
Would also suggest Yishun's handlebar HB058. Its the same as the  HBR12 offered by ligthtcarbon

PLA

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2023, 10:02:51 AM »
Would also suggest Yishun's handlebar HB058. Its the same as the  HBR12 offered by ligthtcarbon

I've got this bar, also. It's also very good. Can recommend either for a stiff bar, but for flared, well 36 top 38 drop isn't verrry flared.