Other Resources > After The Ride

What do you think of my theft-resistant mountain bike idea?

(1/2) > >>

genealogyxie:
The concept is simple: why is that you can leave out a brand new $70000 SUV with the engine still running, just parked in a nice neighborhood and you can be confident that your fancy car won't get stolen? Because cars have VIN numbers on all the main components, making it much harder to sell to a repair shop or on eBay or something. So why not put serial numbers on all the components on your nice race bike as well?

Here is the link to the product page:

https://genexie.com/product/the-globalist-full-suspension-carbon-fiber-mountain-bike-with-a-20-year-warranty-made-in-china/

Kommandant33:
Lovely idea, but I don't think it's a lack of serial numbers that makes it easy to steal a bike... My bikes all come with frame numbers that I have linked to the property vault (I even have my Fox Fork serial number on there).

I have thought about this in the past - bike registration through the government like we register our cars. That way bikes that are sold registered can be tracked back to the original owner, registered bikes hold better value, everything is transparent and goes through an official channel when changing hands (no more buying a TRAK MTB from a dodgy dude in a McDonalds carpark after dark) - BUT this comes with a myriad of other issues...

Larxxor:
It is done in Europe, vin numbers on bikes are mandatory where I live.
Bikes still get stolen left and right

Only real benefit is that if you report bike stolen, they can check if it is found somewhere.
And if they catch thief red handed, there is evidence. Rarely happens.

genealogyxie:
Maybe requiring a key to operate the bike would help? But idk how most people would feel about adding another 70 grams to their nice bike

kbernstein:
The people worried about adding 70 grams of key are not the people who ever leave their bike unattended to begin with  ;D

But there is already a national registry of bikes (sometimes mandatory) in a couple of countries in europe. Wake me up when that deters a single theft

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version