Author Topic: Pump with pressure indicator for traveling  (Read 404 times)

WhityWhite

Pump with pressure indicator for traveling
« on: January 11, 2024, 08:39:05 AM »
Hi together,

I'm going on vacation twice this spring with my road bike.

And I'm looking for an air pump with a pressure indicator for this.
At home I have the Topeak JoeBlow Booster - but it's huge and in my saddlebag I have a tiny emergency pump which of course has no pressure gauge.

But I want to inflate my tires to the right pressure before the ride. In other words, the pump doesn't have to go in my jersey or saddlebag, but it should still fit in my suitcase.
My biggest fear is that the barometers are bad or that the pump itself doesn't work properly.

Do you have any recommendations? Gladly from AliExpress.

Thanks!

jonathanf2

Re: Pump with pressure indicator for traveling
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 09:16:28 AM »
I use this one, it should fit inside a standard carry-on suitcase or inside your bike case. It's more easier to pump your tires with the top down motion as opposed to those mini-pumps.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805868571291.html

ENEP

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 09:19:42 AM »
I looked at something similar a while ago and found Sks injex control being highly recommended. It was not only accurate but also effective by needing fewer pumping actions and less effort to reach higher pressures. 

WhityWhite

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 09:31:58 AM »
I use this one, it should fit inside a standard carry-on suitcase or inside your bike case. It's more easier to pump your tires with the top down motion as opposed to those mini-pumps.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805868571291.html

But I also want to take other luggage with me besides the pump :D
It already seems very big to me ;)

jonathanf2

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 09:46:30 AM »
It's 43cm tall. If you want something more portable, maybe get an electronic pump with a digital PSI gauge built-in. That will fit in the palm of your hand.

scourge

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 11:31:28 AM »
I just bought one. I kind of wanted one of those super micro ones, but I also wish they had a PSI indicator on them, which they don't. So I bought the one by West Biking that does. It's a little bigger but still fits in my palm. I was actually surprised by how small it is. Got it for $30 on AliExpress. Haven't got to use it yet, though.

scourge

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 11:33:30 AM »
Like this one. But I only paid $30

s3si1u

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 12:20:35 PM »
Adding another vote for a micro pump as they're amazing, but for the situation you describe I think this is a better travel option: www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805073801458.html?
I got one of these for christmas and find myself reaching for it very frequently...it's very fast, much faster than the micro pumps. Battery lasts forever. Definitely small enough to fit in your luggage. I bring it with me in the car if I'm riding somewhere away from home. This would be my go-to if I was traveling with my bike.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 12:25:03 PM by s3si1u »
Instagram: @aerosloth

kbernstein

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024, 12:55:07 PM »
You definitely don't want a floor pump or a mini overpriced cube. An electric tire pump like the xiaomi mijia 2S is excellent, it's about the size of a powerbank but thicker, has a better gage and the battery lasts forever. There are countless options on ali it's getting hard to choose. I have a xiaomi 2S which is amazing, I don't really use my floor pump at home anymore. Supposedly the xiaomi is not the best anymore but you can't go wrong with it