Author Topic: Rim tape for 30mm carbon wheels?  (Read 9269 times)

Andy

Rim tape for 30mm carbon wheels?
« on: January 07, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »
Well, got my tires in for my 30mm carbon rims and ready to set them up tubeless.  Wondering what brand, size tubeless rim tape y'all are using on your rims?  Anyone had any luck with just using gorilla tape.   Thanks,
Andy
IP036
LTK023

turboenterprise

Re: Rim tape for 30mm carbon wheels?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 05:56:59 PM »
I used Stans No Tubes 9.14m x 25mm (10yd x 1in.) Rim Tape with no problems.

MTB2223

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 11:42:14 PM »
I used Fun Works Tubeless Felgenband Ultralight 9,5mX21mm.
No problems.

Patrick C.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 11:44:42 PM »
1" Gorilla tape is pretty much a perfect fit.  I didn't have any problems getting it to seal on my 30 mm iPlay rims.

Vipassana

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 12:07:57 AM »
I also used a single layer of 1" Gorilla tape and it worked perfectly.  I did wipe down run channel to make sure it was clean prior to install.  Not bad at all for the price.  It even held at 45 psi.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 10:00:54 AM »
I don't think you can go wrong with 1" Gorilla Tape, that's what I will be using in the future on my wheels.  In the past I have used Stan's tape and while it worked fine, it isn't very sticky.  If you are a weight weenie, I would guess the Stan's tape is probably half the weight but we are only talking about a small different in the end.

Just wrap the tape one time around with a 3"-4" overlap at the valve stem.  So start about 2" on one side of the valve stem hole, and finish about 2" after the valve stem hole.  Then use an exacto knife to cut an X at the valve stem hole, insert your valve stem, assemble your tire bead on one side, add your sealant, install the bead on the other side, inflate (easiest to inflate using an air compressor), shake the wheel horizontally to make sure the sealant covers the bead and tire sidewall.  If you lose most of the air before the tire seals, add more air and shake more.  Repeat as needed.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:07:33 AM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

MTB2223

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 10:24:14 AM »
..., insert your valve stem, assemble your tire bead on one side, add your sealant, install the bead on the other side, inflate (easiest to inflate using an air compressor), shake the wheel horizontally to make sure the sealant covers the bead and tire sidewall.  If you lose most of the air before the tire seals, add more air and shake more.  Repeat as needed.
I can open my valve to put the sealant through the valve. That makes it a lot easier.

I put on the tire (both sides), fill it with a lot of air at ones, to let the tire pop on (with a popping sound), when the tire is settled, I let go the air, put in the sealant though the valve. Fill it again with a lot of air. And then shake it to seal the tire. Leave it for a couple of hours, shake it again. And hopefully it's completely sealed. Repeat it until it's sealed.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 11:06:40 AM »
..., insert your valve stem, assemble your tire bead on one side, add your sealant, install the bead on the other side, inflate (easiest to inflate using an air compressor), shake the wheel horizontally to make sure the sealant covers the bead and tire sidewall.  If you lose most of the air before the tire seals, add more air and shake more.  Repeat as needed.
I can open my valve to put the sealant through the valve. That makes it a lot easier.

I put on the tire (both sides), fill it with a lot of air at ones, to let the tire pop on (with a popping sound), when the tire is settled, I let go the air, put in the sealant though the valve. Fill it again with a lot of air. And then shake it to seal the tire. Leave it for a couple of hours, shake it again. And hopefully it's completely sealed. Repeat it until it's sealed.

Yep, that's the way I do it as well, just wasn't sure if the OP had the capability to inject the sealant through the valve stem.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Patrick C.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »
fwiw, the 1" Gorilla tape weighs about 20 g for each wheel.  If you had a narrower wheel and had to trim the tape it would be more difficult, but it is still pretty easy to cut the tape to width while it is on the roll.

Andy

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 07:44:55 PM »
Wow, terrific information!  Thanks so much everybody,  I am going with the 1" Gorilla tape method and the Orange seal sealant.  I'll keep you posted how it turns out.  Thanks again!
Andy
IP036
LTK023

carbonazza

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 04:31:26 AM »
One thing I noticed recently about sealant.
It will probably help me know if I need a refill or not through the valve, without opening the tire.

When you just filled in the sealant, you can clearly hear its noise while spinning the wheel.
The drier the sealant, the quieter the noise.
And if there is no noise at all, refill for sure.

Andy

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 08:04:40 AM »
Good to know, thanks Carbonazza.

Got my rims taped last night.  And yes it's true the 1" Gorilla tape fit the 30mm wide carbon rims perfectly.  I'm very pleased with how they went together.  Today I will mount the tires and get them sealed and seated.  Will keep you posted.
Thanks,
Andy  :D
IP036
LTK023

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 08:35:08 AM »
I add sealant every 3-4 months or so when using Stan's.  When using Orange sealant, I have been able to go 6 months between adding sealant.  Yes, adding through the valve stem is the easiest so if you are going tubeless, you might as well purchase one of the refill kits or purchase the sealant in the small bottles that allow you to remove the valve core and squirt the sealant in that way.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Andy

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 06:52:14 PM »
Guys just wanted to let you know everything set up tubeless super easy today.  I couldn't be happier with how easy it went. 

I went with the 2.3 Gatos front and rear for the winter(in the summer I'll switch to the light Mezcal out back and stay with the Gato up front). 

I just went with the non tnt folding versions as they were quite a bit lighter than the tnt's and everybody has had great luck running them tubeless. 

I used the 1" gorilla tape, 4oz. Orange sealant per wheel and Stans stems.  Everything went pop, pop and seated up real simple. 

For both the wheels by going carbon and tubeless I shaved a total of a pound and a half of rotating weight!  I'm thrilled! 

The bike now sits at 25.9lbs.  But I can see lots of areas to shave weight down the road.  My goal is 23 lbs someday. 

Anybody got any ideas on how to shave another 2.9 lbs? 
Thanks,
Andy
IP036
LTK023

turboenterprise

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 09:16:32 AM »

Anybody got any ideas on how to shave another 2.9 lbs? 
Thanks,
Andy
IP036
LTK023

List your parts ... 1x11