Author Topic: BB30 Crank on BSA frame  (Read 31085 times)

JohnnyNT

Re: BB30 Crank on BSA frame
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 06:20:08 AM »
Yes, it's like in the first post. I think that on Wolftooth page there is a diagram which cranks have long and which have short spindle somewhere.

peet182

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 02:22:31 AM »
Hello JohnnyNT, I'm trying to do the same thing you did with an xx1 eagle and the same rotor bottom bracket you used. The Problem is that the cranks don't turn smoothly anymore as soon as I tighten them on to the bottom bracket. I guess it's because there's some sideways pressure from the cranks on the bearings which prevents them from turning. Did you use any of those drive side axle spacers that are shown on the picture of your first post?

Thanks!
Peter

carbonazza

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 03:46:43 AM »
Did you try with different spacer widths ?

peet182

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2017, 06:18:02 AM »
yes I tried all possible combinations. If I don't put any spacers between the bottom bracket and the frame (so there's a small gap between the DS Crank arm and the bottom bracket) I can tighten it and everything turns smoothly. But when I put in a spacer on the DS (1x 2,5mm) to close the gap (so there's no sideyways movement in the crank) the cranks can't rotate freely anymore. My guess is that it's because the DS crank arm is pressing against the bearing and preventing it to turn. Maybe that's what those sram axle spacers are for? It looks like they would push against the metall inner ring of the bearing instead against the whole bearing?

carbonazza

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 07:09:03 AM »
The bearings need a light preload, to avoid any play but just before feeling a drag.

Did you put the preload collar(a plastic ring) on the non-drive side of the crank to its minimum?
Or haven't you put one of the shims that come with the crank but shouldn't in your case?

Do you have 49mm for the chainline(horizontal distance between the center of the seat tube to the ring )?

peet182

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »
I didn't put in the preload adjuster because otherwise the crank axle would be too short. I think JohnnyNT did the same thing, that's why I'm wondering how he got it to work...
what do you mean by "shims" ? do you mean the spacers? I tried many different options but none worked...

You said that the bearings need a light preload to avoid play but just before feeling a drag....but how does it work with other cranksets that don't have that preload adjuster? On all of my cranks until now i just tightened them to the according torque and used spacers to avoid any sideways play. Besides I'm already feeling drag even if the DS arm is screwed on very lightly, I guess that would be way to loose even if I could use the preload adjuster to eleminate play

peet182

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 08:58:44 AM »
I'm not sure about the chainline, will have to check for that. I was more concerned about getting the cranks to turn freely first...

JohnnyNT

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 07:56:56 PM »
Hi Peet182,

I was encountering similar problems as you do (crank not moving in smooth manner) at first, I put a very narrow (don't really remember the thickness right now, around  1 mm ) spacer on the drive side between BB and crank and it solved the problem. Axle is still long enough to hold everything together.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:58:35 PM by JohnnyNT »

peet182

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 02:57:55 AM »
Hi! Thanks a lot, that was exactly the information I was looking for! Could you maybe tell me where you got the spacer? Is it just something from the warehouse or some specific spacer for bikes? I'm having a kinda hard time to find a spacer like that around here...thanks!

JohnnyNT

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 03:13:38 AM »
Your best bet would be asking at a lokal bikeshop. Usually they have plenty of spacers lying around.

outriding9800

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 07:50:20 AM »

peet182

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »
perfect, thanks a lot for the help! I will try to get some of these and get it to work!