Author Topic: Anybody put a G2 fork on a Chiner?  (Read 3882 times)

Andy

Anybody put a G2 fork on a Chiner?
« on: January 10, 2015, 10:53:10 PM »
With the 51mm offset instead of the standard 46mm they say the 29 handles quicker like a 26.  Any thoughts on doing this to improve handling?
Thanks,
Andy
IP036
LTK023

cmh

Re: Anybody put a G2 fork on a Chiner?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 04:58:58 PM »
With the 51mm offset instead of the standard 46mm they say the 29 handles quicker like a 26.  Any thoughts on doing this to improve handling?

That's exactly what I was going to try with my planned IP-057 - pulled the G2 fork off my Rumblefish (got a new Kashima for that bike) and that was going to go on the IP-057 - but availability put the IP-057 project on the back burner and I'm waiting on a fatbike right now instead.  I might still do the 057 build come spring/summer tho, at which point I'd be using that G2 fork.

So - I essentially contributed nothing of value to the discussion. :D

Vipassana

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 05:02:44 PM »
I have a G2 SID on my 256 I believe. I haven't noticed anything strange. I wonder if it is really that big of a difference?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 08:31:05 AM »
I have a G2 SID on my 256 I believe. I haven't noticed anything strange. I wonder if it is really that big of a difference?

I'd wonder how much difference there is as well.  I am assuming the larger offset reduces the wheelbase and effective rake angle?
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

cmh

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 09:19:26 AM »

I'd wonder how much difference there is as well.  I am assuming the larger offset reduces the wheelbase and effective rake angle?

The larger offset sets the wheel farther forward (very slightly longer wheelbase) but most importantly reduces the trail, resulting in faster handling. On my first 29er I had two REBA forks, (not at the same time ;D ) an earlier one which was (going from memory here) 38mm offset, and then a newer one which was... 45mm? I don't remember the exact numbers, but I do remember that the one with the bigger offset of the newer REBA was quicker in the turns, but honestly both worked well. I imagine a G2 (51mm offset) would be great for a bike used on tight, twisty trails, which is exactly what I would have been looking for with my bike.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »
I don't have a G2, but my Manitou fork falls somewhere in between standard offset and G2 which I thought was a perfect "best of both" scenario.. So far, nothing really negative to speak of. Handles great.

I honestly doubt you'll encounter any problems regardless of which offset fork you go with, but it's certainly worth looking into imo. Besides the price, the non-standard off set of the Manitou fork was one of the reasons I settled on it.

I think most Manitous are this way but I'm basing this entirely on memory, so I apologize if I'm mistaken.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 03:49:12 PM by Sitar_Ned »

cmh

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:34:02 PM »
I honestly doubt you'll encounter any problems regardless of which offset fork you go with...

Yes, this exactly. I once rode a beautiful Schwinn Panther beach cruiser type of bike on which the fork had been mounted completely backwards. It rode strangely, not the super-stable way you'd expect with such a huge trail, but also not unsafely. Totally ruined the gorgeous curves of the bike, though. :(

Andy

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 02:26:15 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys!  Huge help!  I'm gonna go for it.  The 2 main trails I ride here in Oklahoma City are extremely tight and twisty.  It's a 26ers paradise but I'm a die hard 29 fan.  It freaks me out a bit tho because the only 51mm offset fork in my price range is the Reba rl and only comes in 100mm travel.  I'm currently on 120mm travel with 46mm offset. 

So this change should be pretty substantial.  I wish I could get the fork in a 120mm travel version with the 51mm offset.  Simply because I abhor pedal strikes and now my bottom bracket is gonna be lower. 

Wish me luck and thanks again for your thoughts!
Andy
IP036
LTK023

cmh

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 05:50:34 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys!  Huge help!  I'm gonna go for it.  The 2 main trails I ride here in Oklahoma City are extremely tight and twisty.  It's a 26ers paradise but I'm a die hard 29 fan.  It freaks me out a bit tho because the only 51mm offset fork in my price range is the Reba rl and only comes in 100mm travel.  I'm currently on 120mm travel with 46mm offset. 

So this change should be pretty substantial.  I wish I could get the fork in a 120mm travel version with the 51mm offset.  Simply because I abhor pedal strikes and now my bottom bracket is gonna be lower. 

Probably not the case with the REBA, but with the Fox 100mm forks they're often (but not always) 120mm forks stepped down. The fork for my 057 project (just sitting there doing nothing) was a 120 that I rebuilt and stopped down to 100 for the XC geometry.

Worth looking into if the REBA can be stretched out to 120mm just by opening it up. It's a long shot.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »

Probably not the case with the REBA, but with the Fox 100mm forks they're often (but not always) 120mm forks stepped down. The fork for my 057 project (just sitting there doing nothing) was a 120 that I rebuilt and stopped down to 100 for the XC geometry.

Worth looking into if the REBA can be stretched out to 120mm just by opening it up. It's a long shot.

fairly positive it doesn't work that way with the Rebas.