Author Topic: Budget Build  (Read 42790 times)

bdub

Budget Build
« on: January 11, 2015, 01:49:42 PM »
Came into this wanting to build up a IP-057 for under 2k and came in just under that.

My build list:

Component   Part   Price   Site
Frame   IP-057   $400    XMIPlay
Fork   RockShox Reba RL   $382    Bike Discount
Groupset   Shimano XT   $537    Merlin
Wheelset   DT Swiss M1900   $215    Bike Discount
Tires   Continental Mountain King   $67    Merlin
Handlebar   IP-B04 700 MM   $35.00    XMIPlay
Stem   Race Face Ride XC   $29.92    Merlin
Seatpost   IP-SP7   $45.00    XMIPlay
Seatpost Clamp   Clamp Free      XMIPlay
Seat   SDG Falcon   $37    Merlin
Pedals   Shimano M530   $42    Amazon
Grips   ESI Chunky   $17.00    
Headset   Nico   $15.00    XMIPlay
Extra Hanger   Hanger   $25.00    XMIPlay
Thru Axle   Rear Axle   $18.00    XMIPlay
Headset Spacers   Spacers   $7.50    XMIPlay

Shipping:   $106.62    

Total:   $1,980    

This doesn't include tools that I purchased or grease etc. Include that and it was about $100 more.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:06:37 PM by bdub »

Patrick C.

Re: Budget Build
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 05:59:48 PM »
Yes- you won't have superlight parts, but you should be able to get a very good bike for less than $2k.  It won't be 20 pounds, but I think you might hit 25.   

frame       2.86       500       ip-057 including shiping and paypal fees   
   fork       3.74       270       Manitou Tower Pro is on sale at Pricepoint again, but it looks like only in 120mm QR http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Manitou/Manitou-Tower-Pro-29er-Fork.axd    
   group       7.50       380       SLX full group, including brakes http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-slx-m675-2-x-10-disc-brake-groupset-58862.html    
   wheels       4.63       400          
   tires       3.96       60          
   handlebar       0.55       40          
   stem       0.37       25          
   seatpost + clamp       0.68       40          
   seat        0.50       25          
   pedals       0.58       50          
   spacers              5          
   grips       0.20       5          
   paste              10          

total       25.57       1810.00          

I plugged in typical numbers for all the other parts- you may be able to do better, or get lighter parts for about the same price.  You could actually go quite a bit cheaper on the wheels, but I put $400 in there to show that even with a pretty good wheelset you can come in under $2k.  If you can't get or don't want the Tower Pro fork, you should be able to find another air fork at around $400 - 450.

My build cost me around $2400 (at first :) ), but I had the frame painted, went with an XT group, a Rockshox SID,  and got name-brand carbon parts for the handlebars and seatpost.  I put together a spreadsheet to compare the cost and weight of different options- this will really help you decide where it is worthwhile to spend a little more or where to save some $$$. 

You'll need some tools as well, but you should already have a lot of what you need if you  do any maintenance on your bikes- bottom bracket tool, cassette lockring tool, etc.  You don't have to have a repair stand to put the bike together- I did it without one, but then I bought a stand afterward- having one will make it easier.

bdub

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 10:11:26 AM »
Thank you for the info and the build list as well that is very very helpful. I noticed you put $400 for a wheel set. Do you think that money is better spent on a fork or group set? Also Is the handlebar's seat post etc from XMI worth the money, or should I look elsewhere for those pieces?

Thanks again for the great information, I emailed Peter to see if we could get some stuff ordered.

Patrick C.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 12:48:28 PM »
I don't have any of the other iplay parts, but several folks on here do- with some digging or Google-fu you should be able to find reviews. 

If there's any way you can fit carbon rims into your budget I think that would be the way to go, but that may make it impossible to keep it under $2k since the wheels will be at least ~$650.

I don't really have an opinion on which is the most important, but with ~$1200 to spend on the group, fork and wheels you'll just have to see what you can find that fits in the budget.  You could save a lot of money and weight with a rigid fork, then add a suspension fork later if you like.

blueducati

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 02:02:50 PM »
I, too, tried to keep costs down when building my bike. I wanted cheap, wide, strong wheels. I found these, and like them so far. $170 for both wheels.

http://www.jensonusa.com/WTB-ST-I25-RimSlx-Hub-29-Wheelset-Black-29-15X142-Axles-Centerlock-DSK

bdub

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 06:20:01 PM »
I, too, tried to keep costs down when building my bike. I wanted cheap, wide, strong wheels. I found these, and like them so far. $170 for both wheels.

http://www.jensonusa.com/WTB-ST-I25-RimSlx-Hub-29-Wheelset-Black-29-15X142-Axles-Centerlock-DSK

Thanks, those look pretty nice. I saw you got the Marzocchi Cora Fork. I was looking at that one as well. Do you like it?

blueducati

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 08:17:21 AM »

Thanks, those look pretty nice. I saw you got the Marzocchi Cora Fork. I was looking at that one as well. Do you like it?

Yeah, I really like it. I'm new to MTB, so I don't have much to compare it to, but so far so good. The lockout is a bit tricky to set up, but I love having it.

Vipassana

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 09:58:25 AM »
The Iplay components like handlebars and seat post are a very good value for the money and seem to be holding up really well for all of us using them. They might not be the cheapest part out there, but the performance per dollar can't be beat. If you find cheaper components, they will likely be heavier by a good amount.

brmeyer135

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 03:55:14 PM »
Good price on the fork - and stated weight is not much more than a reba

bdub

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 05:17:47 PM »
Can any of you recommend a good BSA Bottom Bracket for a decent price?

JohnnyNT

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 05:50:17 PM »
It depends on the group you are using, if you go with SLX mentioned above, BB should be included with the crankset.

bdub

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 07:24:10 PM »
It depends on the group you are using, if you go with SLX mentioned above, BB should be included with the crankset.

OK I wasn't sure if the bottom bracket came with the crankset.

tlmadsen

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 03:26:08 AM »
Hi Everybody

(my first post to this forum)

I have also been "sneaking" around a budget build, and I am quite sure it can be done for sub 2.000 US$ (my budget is 10k DKK, = more like 1800 US$).
My major concern is putting the bike together. I know how to do normal repair/service of the gear/breaks ex. on my MTB/Racer, but I have never played around with the headset or Bottom bracket.

I know that the YouTube have a huge amount of "how to" on these subject, but this is actually the problem. They are never 100% the same and when you know nothing about it, it becomes very difficult to know what to trust.
Anyone who can guide me to the right info ?

(...........should this go into a separate threat )

BR

Thomas

Cnasta

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 03:34:19 AM »
Hi Everybody

(my first post to this forum)

I have also been "sneaking" around a budget build, and I am quite sure it can be done for sub 2.000 US$ (my budget is 10k DKK, = more like 1800 US$).
My major concern is putting the bike together. I know how to do normal repair/service of the gear/breaks ex. on my MTB/Racer, but I have never played around with the headset or Bottom bracket.

I know that the YouTube have a huge amount of "how to" on these subject, but this is actually the problem. They are never 100% the same and when you know nothing about it, it becomes very difficult to know what to trust.
Anyone who can guide me to the right info ?

(...........should this go into a separate threat )

BR

Thomas

Go for a BSA bb, can't go wrong with that one :) Headset, check the thread om mtbr or youtube, isn't that hard. Think guiding the brakes internally (and/or bleeding them) is te most difficult part of the build (and that you say you can allready do) :)

bdub

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 12:32:33 AM »
Well I got a better bonus than I expected so I have decided to go with a Full Suspension instead. Talking to Bert about getting an IP-O36, unfortunately it is a 60 day wait for one with a BSA bottom bracket, however he does have one in BB30. My plan before was to go with an SLX or XT group set but I am now am not sure if that is possible. Can I still do this with a BB30 bottom bracket?