Author Topic: Considering building my first bike... could use help!  (Read 10206 times)

Aoiree

Re: Considering building my first bike... could use help!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 01:32:37 AM »
XMI wheelsets... the hubs any good?

If I'm thinking about trying to acquire a lefty fork down the line... is it worth it to purchase the wheelsets if I might need to rebuild the front wheel for the lefty hub? (never built my own wheel... but willing to try! and fail!)

Also which xmi wheelset should I be looking at for XC racing&road racing (I adventure race... ends up road riding a lot at times). I'm thinking the skinnier rims for long road jaunts.

Thoughts?

brmeyer135

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 06:54:20 AM »
definately the skinnier
the wider rims are more of an AM-all mountain type rim

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 12:39:04 PM »
I think if you are willing to rebuild the front hub yourself, go ahead with the carbon wheels.  The Novatec or Bitex hubs are good, not the level of a DT Swiss or SRAM XX hub, but more than decent.  I've not read any posts about people complaining the hubs are crap.  For the Lefty fork you will need the new front hub, spokes, and probably new nipples but totally doable.

I went with the 30mm wide rims but depending on your weight and terrain, you could go for the more narrow rims.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 06:53:07 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

carbonazza

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 02:37:12 PM »
XMI wheelsets... the hubs any good?

If I'm thinking about trying to acquire a lefty fork down the line... is it worth it to purchase the wheelsets if I might need to rebuild the front wheel for the lefty hub? (never built my own wheel... but willing to try! and fail!)

Also which xmi wheelset should I be looking at for XC racing&road racing (I adventure race... ends up road riding a lot at times). I'm thinking the skinnier rims for long road jaunts.

Thoughts?

I dropped the option to build wheels myself, at least for this first build.
And ordered a wheel set from light-bicycle.com
30mm hookless. With a Lefty project321 for the front. And Hope hub for the rear.
I'm waiting for them.

Aoiree

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 11:58:55 PM »
I assume no substantial difference between light-bicycle and xmiplay for the wheelsets?

I see light-bicycle is a popular choice.

carbonazza

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 11:23:06 AM »
I assume no substantial difference between light-bicycle and xmiplay for the wheelsets?

I see light-bicycle is a popular choice.

xmiplay does not build wheels with Lefty hubs. At least for now.

Aoiree

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 07:00:43 AM »
Welp picked up a lightly used cannondale prophet 1000 off craigslist. I now have a bike to race on in 2 weeks at least.

And I also have my lefty max 140 which I will convert to a 29er lefty.
I'll probably salvage the fork after the race and sell rest of the components I won't use towards the chiner. If I'm lucky the net cost of the fork will be near zero :) got it on craigslist for a good price.

So lefty chiner 29er build... consider yourself started!

Aoiree

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 04:41:37 PM »
Ok picking back up where I left off and getting underway. Have a month until my next race. Time to make stuff happen.

My lefty hub is currently for a 26" with 24 holes. I'm guessing I'll probably need a 32hole lefty hub for the 29er?

Also trying to figure out what adapters I may need for the fork on the chiner frame. Looking at project 321 stuff.

Tony

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 05:06:35 PM »
I ordered my wheelset from Yoeleo's website. It took a month for delivery but the wheels are great. It came with the Circus Monkey lefty hub and Novatec rear hub. You can also order the lefty adapter/ conversion kit with steerer tube from Art's Cyclery. It was much cheaper than Project's website.

Ray Zorbak

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 10:32:10 PM »
Aoiree, I will have a lefty fork for sale (110mm for 29er) when I get further along with my build if you're interested

Aoiree

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 12:07:23 PM »

I dropped the option to build wheels myself, at least for this first build.
And ordered a wheel set from light-bicycle.com
30mm hookless. With a Lefty project321 for the front. And Hope hub for the rear.
I'm waiting for them.

Those come in yet?
Curious how much they run you?

I ordered my wheelset from Yoeleo's website. It took a month for delivery but the wheels are great. It came with the Circus Monkey lefty hub and Novatec rear hub. You can also order the lefty adapter/ conversion kit with steerer tube from Art's Cyclery. It was much cheaper than Project's website.

I'll check that site out. Thanks

Aoiree, I will have a lefty fork for sale (110mm for 29er) when I get further along with my build if you're interested

I have a Lefty Max from 2005 that appears to be in fine working condition which I'll be planning to convert for use with the 29er. Think I'm going to run with that for now and maybe upgrade the internals down the line. Thanks though.

Digi

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2015, 07:44:28 PM »
Any news on your build???

Aoiree

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 10:04:54 PM »
Had some unexpected expenses, held off but going to start sourcing parts soon. Sadly won't have bike ready for some of my earlier races at this point.

Reverted to waffling between running my lefty max at 110-120mm or selling it to pick up a fox float 120 ctd with remote.

Hopefully have good news soon.

Still running the old prophet a bit longer.

Digi

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2015, 01:03:57 PM »
Cool, keep us posted.  I had a similar experience...I started my build in Sept and just finished it after a few months of sitting.  What kind of racing are you doing?  I race XC and most of the fork lengths are 80-100mm.